MGW... my experience

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I've ran MGW shifters in 3 of my last 4 mustangs and have always loved them. When I bought my newest car, 03 Cobra, it had a blue handle MGW already in it. The handle was just too short for my taste and I felt like I was always reaching for it. While I was researching the different handle options I read where MGW had reworked the springs and made a few changes since introducing their original design. I could tell the MGW that came in my car was older so I sent George and email asking if it was worth upgrading to a new one. He replied within the hour and said there was no need to buy a whole new shifter, just send mine back and he'd rework it with the new springs etc for $30. He said within 48hrs upon receiving it he'd rework it and have it out the door.

So Monday of last week I shipped it out. It arrived on Wednesday and by Thursday afternoon I had a UPS tracking number. The shifter arrived yesterday and I put it back in the car last night. I also ordered a standard length Orange handle. George included two different options for a gasket. One was a precut rubber gasket and the other was a tube of RTV silicone. He also include the heat/noise barrier. I wasn't expecting the extras since it was just a rework so it was a pleasant surprise. Going the extra mile makes a huge impression.

Install was quick and easy and all I can say is WOW. The shifter is 100 times smoother and the shifts are crisp. Night and day difference. When I called to give them payment info I asked Julie, very nice lady, if the shifter was due for the overall. She said it was one of the very first shifters they ever made for the T-56 and that it was definitely due. After seeing first hand the difference, old vs new, there is no doubt it was due. I'm sure this is old news to most of you but MGW has never let me down and always comes through with excellent customer service. George and Julie were always fast to respond to my emails, answered all my questions and were super friendly. Thank you MGW

cj428mach

Established Member
Great to hear. I'm looking to buy an MGW, if I buy a used one is there anyway to tell if its an old one or new one?

WildFifty

Established Member
Thats really cool that MGW will actually update the shifter with the new techonology. I've been an MGW customer since 05-06 when i had my black coupe and it was the first mod i did on my Cobra back in 09. Great company!

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Great to hear. I'm looking to buy an MGW, if I buy a used one is there anyway to tell if its an old one or new one?

I'm sure there is a way to tell but I'm not sure what it is. Send MGW a picture and they could tell you. Maybe someone can chime in.

Thats really cool that MGW will actually update the shifter with the new techonology. I've been an MGW customer since 05-06 when i had my black coupe and it was the first mod i did on my Cobra back in 09. Great company!

Yah, it saved me $150 and I couldn't be happier with the rebuild. It really is a completely different beast now.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I bought my MGW new in 07, mine could use an update I bet. This is very cool. I met George a few times at Mustang Week, very nice guy. :beer:

TERMINATED97

Established Member
What great customer service! Makes all the difference.

I recently ordered a plate framefrom Proedia and they didn't use enough postage so when the post office delivered they had me pay like $4.00. I called the company and the lady was so nice and very apologetic. I had a check for the $4.00 a week later. I wasn't even going to call since it was only a couple bucks...

Ralo

Established Member
Do you know what year they made these changes?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
good to hear, I have always had a good experience with them too. first item purchased for my second cobra!

Speedwagon

Established Member
I've ran MGW shifters in 3 of my last 4 mustangs and have always loved them. When I bought my newest car, 03 Cobra, it had a blue handle MGW already in it. The handle was just too short for my taste and I felt like I was always reaching for it. While I was researching the different handle options I read where MGW had reworked the springs and made a few changes since introducing their original design. I could tell the MGW that came in my car was older so I sent George and email asking if it was worth upgrading to a new one. He replied within the hour and said there was no need to buy a whole new shifter, just send mine back and he'd rework it with the new springs etc for $30. He said within 48hrs upon receiving it he'd rework it and have it out the door.

So Monday of last week I shipped it out. It arrived on Wednesday and by Thursday afternoon I had a UPS tracking number. The shifter arrived yesterday and I put it back in the car last night. I also ordered a standard length Orange handle. George included two different options for a gasket. One was a precut rubber gasket and the other was a tube of RTV silicone. He also include the heat/noise barrier. I wasn't expecting the extras since it was just a rework so it was a pleasant surprise. Going the extra mile makes a huge impression.

Install was quick and easy and all I can say is WOW. The shifter is 100 times smoother and the shifts are crisp. Night and day difference. When I called to give them payment info I asked Julie, very nice lady, if the shifter was due for the overall. She said it was one of the very first shifters they ever made for the T-56 and that it was definitely due. After seeing first hand the difference, old vs new, there is no doubt it was due. I'm sure this is old news to most of you but MGW has never let me down and always comes through with excellent customer service. George and Julie were always fast to respond to my emails, answered all my questions and were super friendly. Thank you MGW

Awesome..!! Customer Service goes a long way... Keeps you coming back for sure.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Do you know what year they made these changes?

Not sure what year but I know there are at least 3 generations

Red and Blue handles
Silver and Orange Handles
Current orange super adjustable handle

Not sure when spring changes might have occurred.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I too have the newest version of their shifter on my T-45, and you're right they are incredible. I had an older version last year, sold it and bought a Hurst and went right back to MGW. Best feeling shifter on any mustang transmission I've ever driven! Always good to hear positive reviews!

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Hmmm, I may need to send mine in. I know my car has an Orange handle from a receipt the previous owner included with the car, but I have never been happy with the shift feel. Will have to dig in to this when I get home and send them some pics. Thanks for the post!

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Also keep in mind that just because you have a newer handle doesn't necessarily mean you have a new shifter. All the handles are interchangeable. You could have the newest handle on the first shifter ever made.

Rotzs99

Established Member
I have a blue handle early shifter on the 99 and it along with the T45 is absolutely amazing. Positive clicks, stiff spring but not too much. I had a silver handle on my 01 and I swapped back to the stock shifter. I blame the 3650 though. Crappy transmission ruins even the best shifter feel.

TRBO VNM

Yup, this has been the norm with them ever since I started dealing with George. Great company and customer service.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Also keep in mind that just because you have a newer handle doesn't necessarily mean you have a new shifter. All the handles are interchangeable. You could have the newest handle on the first shifter ever made.

Is there any way to tell by looking at the shifter itself how old it is? Are they date stamped or anything to that effect? I'm sure mine is the older design, as it has been on the car for a while. Just curious.

Thanks!

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Is there any way to tell by looking at the shifter itself how old it is? Are they date stamped or anything to that effect? I'm sure is the older design, as it has been on the car for a while. Just curious.

Thanks!

the only stamping I remember seeing on mine other than the MGW logo was on the bottom it said Patent Pending. I wonder if the new ones have been patented?

Users who are viewing this thread