MGW shifter - boot bezel material messed up?

When I saw other peoples installed MGW shifter it looked perfect and the shifter boot bezel was all nice and straight. But no matter how hard I try to fix it and straighten it out, it still looked f*cked up and all wrinkly and scrunchy. Here's a pic:

DCP_4675.jpg

DCP_4676.jpg

DCP_4678.jpg

-
Is there any way to make it so it's just straight and small? Is there an aftermarket one out there that makes it look better and not all scrunched/wrinkled to hell look?

torch4svt

2004 Torch Red SVT Coupe
Established Member
Is the top of the outer boot all the way down on the MGW? Your last picture it doesn't seem to be down all the way.. You have to press very hard to get it down on the second notch of the MGW.

Aaron_01

Banned
Are you talking about the leather shift boot? I've heard of some trimming theirs, and I think some people just pull it down snug under the panel.

Is that a plug for the cig lighter? Where did you get it?

I know...that's why I am wondering what's wrong. It's just uncomfortable when I shift because my right pinky when holding the shifter is hitting the folds of the material and it isn't straight and smooth. Just feels uncomfortable and was wondering if I can buy an aftermarket one to replace it that is just straight and not big and squished since the shifter is now twice as shorter as the long ass stock shifter. No matter how hard I try, I push it all the way down, twist it to become straight, it doesn't want to smooth out.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
that sure doesn't look right.

Remove the shift knob and pull the boot up. Try to untwist it, and pull the excess leather back behind the shift handle. Carefully push the boot back onto the shift handle. When screwing the knob back on, on the final turns make sure it doesn't twist the boot.

Otherwise, you can order a new one from ford. The leather boot and plastic cover come together, it's expensive though - I think mine was $160. I bought it because I broke mine so it wouldn't clip down anymore.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Remove the knob, straighten out the boot, pull down on the boot so that when you tighten the knob down you are not twisting the leather boot. Should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread