MGW Shifter for X-mas, NO DIRECTIONS!!! Help

BLackBoLT01

Established Member
Thanks for the page, but no helpful info...except for what it will look like afterwards. Anyone else? I know someone must have the instructions and a digi cam, or scanner.... I really want to play with this thing tomorrow and not screw it up... :bash:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Sorry it wasn't helpful. If I can find my directions and if my camera is charged, I'll take pics for you.

Edit: I just remembered, I might've thrown them away after installing the shifter since it was pretty easy. I'll still look for them though.

Last edited:

Z-COBRA

Bling & Zing
Established Member
BLackBoLT01 said:
Just like the title says,need the instructions, I know they aren't open tomorrow so I was hoping someone can E-Mail me the directions or post them up here. PLEASE!!!! [email protected]
Check your e-mail,I just scanned them and sent them to you.Have fun and you will love it.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i am very sorry there were no directions. they should have been in the hardware kit with the checklist we use.

i will try to go by memory but here it goes...

step 1- take the shift knob off and then pull up on the console coverfrom both sides one at a time. it is the "U" shaped piece that has the shift boot connected to it.

pull it up and off and make sure you are careful because the lighter is still plugged up. use a small nail or allen wrench and push in the tab on the plug connector and pull the plug off the lighter. now you can take the center console piece off and set it aside.

step 2- take the socket set and remove the 2 bolts holding your shift handle on the shifter. take off the handle but keep it handy as you will use it again later.

step 3- remove the 4 bolts holding the inner boot on. they are on the gold colored "picture frame" looking metal piece holding the rubber inner boot on. the back ones are a pain so a long extension for your socket works very well.
once the 4 bolts are removed you can remove the inner boot. it needs to be taken out in a ****ed sort of way. it will not come straight out. set it aside and make sure you do not lose the screws.

step 4- now you can use the socket and remove the 4 shifter base bolts. you will not re use these so no worries about losing them.

step 5- once the bolts are removed you want to REMOUNT the shifter handle on the shifter. you are only doing this to have some leverage to pop the shifter off the tranny. no need to tighten them just put both in a little. now gently apply force left or right and lightly pop it with your hand until it comes off. do not go front to back as that puts pressure on the shift forks.

step 6- once the shifter is popped off you just need to scrape the excess silicon off the face of the tranny. use a putty knife or screwdriver but do not GOUGE the tranny face. use light pressure and try not to get any inside the tranny.

step 7- once the tranny is clean you want to apply a thin zig zag bead of the new silicone to the tranny face. a bit less than you would do on a toothbrush.
no need to let it dry. you are ready to lay the shifter on and bolt it down.,

the shifter should be placed on the tranny so the MGW logo is closest to the DASH and the MGW logo should be right side up when looking at it in the car.

BEFORE GOING TO STEP 8 MAKE SURE YOU BACK OFF THE SHIFT STOP SCREWWS A GOOD 1/2 INCH AND THE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL ONLY !!!!!!

step 8- take the 4 8mm bolts and bolt down the shifter. note that they should have 4 lock washers on each screw. DO NOT BOLT DOWN ONE SCREW ALL THE WAY!!! BOLT DOWN ALL 4 SCREWS A LITTLE BIT EACH AND KEEP SWITCHING BAKC AND FORTH JUST LIKE A WHEEL. YOU MAY MOUNT THE BASE ****ED IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS.

once they all feel snug you can apply a final tightness to each. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THEM AS THE TRANNY IS ALUMINUM AND WILL STRIP.

step 9-

NOW YOU ARE READY TO SET THE STOPS BUT IF YOU HAVE AN 03 OR 04 COBRA I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST JUST REMOVING THEM. THERE ARE MANY THREADS ABOUT THIS ISSUE AND I WILL LEAVE IT UP TO YOU TO DECIDE. BUT I THINK THE SAFEST THING IS TO REMOVE ALL 4 BOLTS THE TOP 2 SMALL AND THE 2 LARGE.

STEP 10-

now you are ready to install the inner boot again . just slide it down over the top of the shifter so the center hole pops into the undercut area on the center shifter shaft. it is just below the flange where the handle rests. then position the frame of the inner boot so you can remount the bolts.

step 11- now you can puyt on the handle(red or blue) this new design is so simple. just slide it on the center shaft until it rests on the flange. now rotate it until you feel it is a good reach for you. now take the long 3/16" allen wrench and tighten both bolts on the side. you may want to drive the car a bit before putting the outer console and boot on so you can adjust the handle to your liking. once you have it where you want just reapply the outer console boot and put the shift knob on.

call me at home at 706-855-6204 today if you have any questions...

regards
george

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
dang all that typing and Z COBRA comes to the rescue :poke:

thanks man i really apprecaite you helping him out!! :beer:

i owe you one

regards
george

Z-COBRA

Bling & Zing
Established Member
George,No problem I just tried to help quicky,and now your fingers are ready to work tomorrow being warmed up. :beer:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I don't think I have the directions anymore. But since it's 9:10 AM and I haven't gone to sleep yet cause I'm not tired at all for some reason and I'm bored, I'll try to explain it the best I can.

1. Put the tranny in nuetral and set the parking brake. Unscrew the factory shift knob.

2. Get your fingers underneath the outside edges of the shift bezel (the plastic part on the outside, not the part where the shifter boot mates to the bezel) and pull firmly on it. It just snaps in, but don't get King Kong with it; just firmly pull it, but with care. Don't yank it out either because you'll need to disconnect the lighter. It simply disconnects. Put the shifter bezel aside.

3. Remove the factory shifter handle by removing the bolts that hold it in.

4. Next, remove the rubber boot with the plate around it by removing the 4 bolts at each corner. It'll take some wiggling to get it out of the hole the shifter sits in. Also be careful not to rip the rubber boot. You'll now see the stock shifter mechanism.

5. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the shifter on. These might take a little effort, so watch out for it coming loose all the sudden and skinning your knuckles on the surrounding sheet metal. You will not be reusing these 4 bolts.

6. Next, pull the stock shifter off. If it's a bit tough to get off, you can bolt the stock shifter handle back on for some extra leverage, but once again be careful of it flying off since sometimes there's a bit of tranny fluid on the bottom of the shifter that could get on your interior parts.

7. Clean all the RTV off the shifter mounting pad of the tranny. Razor blades work well and fine sand paper works too. You might want to stuff some paper towels or and old rag in the trans so none of the RTV falls into the tranny. Make sure the mounting pad is dry too.

8. MGW supplies CobraBob's silicone shifter gaskets and new bolts with the shifter. You have two options; you can either go the old fashion, tried and true way and use some high temp. blue RTV around the shifter mounting pad, going around the perimeter and around the bolt holes or you can use the supplied gasket. If you use the gasket, some red thread locker is recommended on the shifter bolts when you install them. The gasket cuts down on shifter/tranny noise a little bit and is reusable, if that's a concern for you. Make sure if you use the gasket though, that you get it on straight so it will seal completely.

9. Install the new MGW shifter (without the handle) with the MGW logo in the front and use the supplied bolts to bolt it down. I can't remember exact torque numbers for the bolts, but with the RTV make them snug. Again, don't get King Kong on them. The thread locker isn't needed when the RTV is used. If you decided to use the gasket, apply a dab of thread locker on each bolt and snug them down. Don't tighten them down too much though or you could cause the gasket to squeeze out and not seal properly. I prefer to tighten the bolts in a criss-cross pattern, like a 4 lug wheel, so it distributes evenly. I usually get them snug first, then go back again and tighten them down for the last time.

10. To set the stop screws, I put the shifter in first gear, then screwed in the front stop screw until it contacted the shifter, then I back off the screw 1 full turn, then put the car in third to make sure it went into gear fully for third, too. Once you're happy with the front stop screw, tighten down the lock screw on the top of the shifter base. These need to be tight, but don't break the allen wrench or anything over it. I used the same procedure for 2nd and 4th. I didn't need any mirrors or flash lights or anything to set them like some people have; maybe I'm just small and flexible.

11. Once you're happy with your set screws, you can put the rubber shift boot back on. You'll have to stretch it over the shifter in some areas, but it's no big deal. Then bolt it back down.

12. You can now install your shifte lever. There is a washer for the shifter that comes along with the spanner nut. The washer has little 'teeth' on it. This goes on the shaft first, under the shift lever. Then slide your lever of choice over the shaft. Next you install the spanner nut, but make sure none of the lock screws for it are sticking out underneath, preventing the nut from tightening all the way. Once you get the lever in a comfortable position for you, tighten the spanner nut down with the provided spanner wrench, holding the lever in place where you set it. You want this to be pretty tight so the lever doesn't rotate on the shaft on hard shifts. Once you do this you can tighten the lock screws. These need to be fairly tight also, like the shifter stop lock screws.

13. Next, double check everything to make sure it's tight and all that jazz. Then you can install the shifter bezel. Hook up the lighter connection, slide the rubber grommet over the shift knob shaft, then just pop it into place with your palms.

14. Install your shift knob. Then go rip through some gears with a nice test drive!

Hopefully that'll get you there. Haha. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

-Blaise

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Well shit. Z-COBRA and George, you beat me to it while I was typing that novel. Haha, oh well. This will be a good reference when anyone else asks from now on. :beer:

BLackBoLT01

Established Member
Holy crap you guys kick a$$. Thanks a million....Just got a chance to check this today, so I'll let you all know how it goes, and i'll even photo document it!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
you guys crack me up. everyone typing out directions at the same time. but anyways, you will love the mgw. it is so much better than anything out there. i will have one of these on every mustang i ever own.

Users who are viewing this thread