MGW vs Barton shifters

ACESnEIGHTS

Established Member
I have been looking at the MGW and Barton shifters. They both look to be an excellent choice, however the MGW appears to be a lot more involved to install. If anyone has had experience with the install of either shifter please weigh in.

kingnut

Established Member
Installing either isn't an issue. Its what one you think is a better fit. 60% say MGW. Although I'm going with FRPP barton for warranty sake.

Last edited:

BadMojo13

Put put in a (Barton) Ford Racing shifter with two post braket and it took about an hour and it was very easy to install. I'm very impresed with the shifting in all gears. the stock one just sucks.

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
The MGW wasn't difficult to install at all. I don't think it took me longer then 2 hours. I've had mine on my car for nearly 8k miles now and I absolutely love it. Now that the springs have worn in and are softer its perfect.

EDIT: There are videos on youtube that outlay the entire install step by step.

ultrajetboat

Established Member
I took out the hurst And replaced it with an mgw....NIGHT AND DAY. I enjoy driving my car again, this shifter should be in every mustang...period.

hand-filer

Established Member
I have been looking at the MGW and Barton shifters. They both look to be an excellent choice, however the MGW appears to be a lot more involved to install. If anyone has had experience with the install of either shifter please weigh in.

Go to MGW's website and check out the install video. I've installed both.
The MGW is well worth the extra 30 minutes it takes to install it.

378wby

Established Member
I originally installed the Barton and bracket in my 2012 and it was an improvement.......I thought the shiter was a 'bit' notchy however and eventually changed over to an MGW when I swapped my transmission out for a Tremec. Very very pleased with the MGW.

ACESnEIGHTS

Established Member
Thanks for info, I have watched install videos for both, thats where I noticed the MGW was a little more involved. FYI if you go to MGW they will install free. Wish I lived closer, 10hr trip for me Argggggggggg!

Last edited:

mantis118

Established Member
I had a Barton and hated it. I kept constantly getting locked out of 3rd. Finally bit the bullit and bought the MGW. It was worth every penny. Install wasnt hard. Also the MGW is WAY quieter than the Barton POS. And yes I called Barton several times, every time i called they had me loosen up the bolts and reposition slightly. Never helped it tho...

kingnut

Established Member
I had a Barton and hated it. I kept constantly getting locked out of 3rd. Finally bit the bullit and bought the MGW. It was worth every penny. Install wasnt hard. Also the MGW is WAY quieter than the Barton POS. And yes I called Barton several times, every time i called they had me loosen up the bolts and reposition slightly. Never helped it tho...

first time i have heard of this.

ACESnEIGHTS

Established Member
I contacted MGW, They will install for free. Road Trip. I need an excuse to get out of town. Wife's on board with it so MGW it will be......

kingnut

Established Member
lmfao 20hrs of driving for a free install. most expensive free install ever.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
There was a guy who drove there with the new tremec magnum replacement for our mt 82's and they put together a shifter that works great with his new tranny. Great people there at MGW!

Users who are viewing this thread