Mgw without a lift

DaFreak

Established Member
Not at all, I've done it twice now without issue. MGW instructions are great too. Drivers side arm pin removal is the only (small) bitch.

DaFreak

Established Member
oh, if you're thinking of doing a drive shaft, now is the time. Getting the shaft out of the way makes the MGW install easier.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
To bad the search function doesn't work on this website, there are a few very good write-ups about this very subject.

Here are a few of them.

MGW Arrived Today!

MGW Gen2 install and 3.37 KB pulley change

MGW Shifter Install on a 2014 Shelby

I installed mine on RaceRamps and cribs.

Car on Race Ramps and Cribs.JPG

deepblue13

Established Member
Did mine on jack stands as well as drive shaft at the same time. No problems. MGW instructions are great and even a video on site or YouTube that is a good watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
Man call me crazy but I still don't have a reason to switch my stock out...

Had a GT500 for about 18 months now. Granted I don't track or drag it but I certainly get happy with the GO pedal often. I can't remember the last time I missed 3rd. I guess just figure out whatcha got and make it work is what I did. Ha!

Black Cobra '99

Established Member

Had a GT500 for about 18 months now. Granted I don't track or drag it but I certainly get happy with the GO pedal often. I can't remember the last time I missed 3rd. I guess just figure out whatcha got and make it work is what I did. Ha!

You certainly can "make do" with what you have, which include wheel hop, heat soak, shitty tires and shitty shifter... the list goes on.
But, you can also have a very enjoyable car, and its not just because of the go pedal.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I actually enjoyed the stock shifter in my '11, but I got sucked in by the hype over the gen 1 MGW. Maybe the bushings hadn't yet worn out on my stock one, but there was no night-and-day difference between the two, and it would still grind 2nd on fast shifts. Now everybody is saying the gen 2 is the shizz. It sure looks like a nice piece of kit, but how long before a gen 3 is released and everybody says that's the cheese on the potatoes? :shrug:

OP, you should have no problems installing your shifter with jack stands. It might actually be easier because you're laying on your back rather than craning your neck and reaching over your head.

Snoopy49

Established Member
OP, you should have no problems installing your shifter with jack stands. It might actually be easier because you're laying on your back rather than craning your neck and reaching over your head.

It was a lot easier for me laying on my back than it would have been if the car had been on a lift. Shoulder, back and neck problems make it very painful for me to work on anything higher than my shoulders. Other than having to get up off the ground, it was a pretty easy procedure. It helped a lot that there were other people discussing the procedure in detail before I did mine, so I already had the advantage of group experience and was able to avoid any potential problems.
One nice thing about working on a car that hasn't been driven in bad weather or on dirt roads is that it is like working on a new car. No nasty grease, mud, dirt or rusty hardware to deal with, it don't get any better than that.
It's a bitch getting older, but I sure beats being dead.

Users who are viewing this thread