Mgw?

AmnDucky

Established Member
I read a statement from them that explained why its taking so long. I am too lazy to paraphrase, so I will just say that I am already convinced theirs will be the best.

pohnjarker

Established Member
this is from another post about MGW:

hey guys,

just wanted to let you guys in on some info as i am getting close to finalizing the testing and design of our 2011 shifter.

first... the THROW....

as you guys know that have your cars already the new stock tranny is kinda odd in that the side to side travel is VERY short while the front to back is not as short as it should be but close....

this is just the way it was designed sooo...i originally designed the shifter much like our corvette shifters to have a double pinion design rather than a pivot ball to shorten the throw front to back and not side to side...i was shooting for about 30-35 percent reduction in throw....

NOT A GOOD IDEA...

apparently the new tranny that ford is using is not as robust as the TREMEC was and we have found that anything more than about 15-20 percent reduction in throw is going to have issues with lockout and also wear on the synchros of this transmission. i have been testing and researching this transmission for a LONNGGGG time and talked with various engineers on this project so i am VERY firm on my opinion of this.

after trying countless combinations of shifting throws i decided that to be honest the THROW of the oem unit is not that bad and actually for both roadcourse and drag racing the effort is pretty spot on...

BUT.where the factory unit falls flat on its face is DEFLECTION!!! it is HORRIBLE!!! the stock box UNDER the shifter has to be replaced and the rear support bracket is a joke!!! it has zip ties around a rubber mount for petes sake!!!

so in the end what i am designing is going to be basically a 15-20 percent reduction with ADDITIONAL spring back to neutral for the drag racers out there. with a COMPLETE replacement to the entire unit under the boot.

so if you guys are hung up on a super short throw then you might want to look elsewhere BUT i can assure you the shifting will be faster with our setup

stay tuned for more info and pics around the holiday break!!

george

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's in testing right now. SVTP may be heading down there to get some pics and video of the progress in the next week or so.

Entrenched

Established Member
MGW test

Call and ask for Julie to get in on the test. They are sending out 50 units (it may be full already, I got in on it). MGW is making absolutely sure they release the best product. They are replace the entire shifter assy and projected pricing is $350 (not bad in comparison).

ViciousJay

Established Member
other then that part that Barton sells i can honestly say that the stocker is a great piece

jcodestang

Established Member
"SORRY GUYS....

havent posted because i just am hesitant to post pre production pics. the shifters ARE in production. i would say i have maybe 1-2 things i am still tweaking but that is during production and will not affect run time.

i will not post pics because i want to show the final unit not a cobbed up piece that is not representative of the final product.

not sure if most of you guys know but i do not rush ANY products to market. ill be happy to lose a few sales to other companies rather than rush. the shifter poses some challenges to get right . the stock oem unit is not bad and in order to justify the price top change i really am working every minor detail to make this a very nice upgrade.

please be patient as it will be morethan worth the wait.

again to clarify we have a contact folder now withg probably 35-40 names in it already setup for the first 50 units. so if you want one right away and have not called you will have to wait probably 8 weeks after the intial run.

as with all our shifters i test it myself for months to get it right how i like it. make a small initial run of 50 units. let them test them for a month or so and work on feedback and update fix, modify etc the design based on that feedback. those 50 units get updated or modifed to make it perfect. then i release the design for regular inventory production.

contact number 706-793-1770
ask for julie opr peggy. you do NOT have to give any payment information,.

regards
george"

"the shifters are well in production and i am still looking at april for delivery of the first 50 as long as no snags.

as far as discount...i usually provide some type of discount but also rest assured any initial run shifter will get upgraded well before any subsequent runs are offered.

i am testing the crap out of these so dont worry about being a guinea pig. when i do release these they will be 95-99 percent right., thats why i am always late to the party!!!

i will be contacting people in the list probably second week of april to get things finalized.

regards
george

From another forum last post was at the end of March.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I talked to George this week. They are on the machines now. I'm hoping to stop by and install one in the SVTP 2012 GT after the NMRA race in GA.

drfitz

MGW vs. Ford Racing vs. Shelby Perf. vs. stock

500 miles on 2011 GT500 conv, grinds going into 2nd 5 or 6 times already; I don't think it's me (30+ years driving a stick). Is something out of adjustment or do I need a new shifter? Is Ford Racing shifter very good? Would like to keep stock lever and shift knob if possible but can't deal w/ worrying if it's going to grind going into 2nd if I shift quickly. Also, how difficult is the install? Put a Hurst into my '95 Firebird Formula conv; it was a breeze and made it a whole different car. THANK YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread