Michelin PSS on stock PP wheels: stock or larger?

acroholic

Established Member
I have tried to wade through all the threads about these tires and the stock wheels, so if I want to keep the stock wheel tire sizes, front: 265/40-19,
rear: 285/35-20, I just do a same size swap.

But if I want to go larger on the stock rims, the most I should consider is front: 285/40-19 and rear: 295/35-20?

Can I go larger than this, or are there safety/durability concerns?

I'd like a slightly larger contact patch on the stock rims if possible, but don't want to be unsafe about it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Dave

acroholic

Established Member
I did use the search function, and lots of posts in tire threads are either telling people to either search or showing links to threads that really don't answer the question I am asking. I'm not a newcomer to high powered cars, but I am a newcomer to Shelbys and to switching out OE tires for replacements.

I thought I was asking a fairly straightforward question, wanting to know if I could upsize tire width on the stock rims and what size I could safely go to.

I contacted Van at Revan Racing, and he was able to answer my question without throwing a bunch of links at me or lecturing me to use the search function. I searched previous threads prior to posting this thread, and unfortunately, could not get my question answered.

Not every thread that gets posted on a popular topic, like replacement tires, is placed there by someone too lazy to do their research.

xo5ox

Established Member
I did use the search function, and lots of posts in tire threads are either telling people to either search or showing links to threads that really don't answer the question I am asking. I'm not a newcomer to high powered cars, but I am a newcomer to Shelbys and to switching out OE tires for replacements.

I thought I was asking a fairly straightforward question, wanting to know if I could upsize tire width on the stock rims and what size I could safely go to.

I contacted Van at Revan Racing, and he was able to answer my question without throwing a bunch of links at me or lecturing me to use the search function. I searched previous threads prior to posting this thread, and unfortunately, could not get my question answered.

Not every thread that gets posted on a popular topic, like replacement tires, is placed there by someone too lazy to do their research.

And what did Van say?, I asked at another forum and I was told that the biggest or widest I can put on the SVTPP wheels is 275 front and 295 rear without widening them or modifying them in anyway.

Last edited:

acroholic

Established Member
And what did Van say?, I asked at another forum and I was told that the biggest or widest I can put on the SVTPP wheels is 275 front and 295 rear without widening them or modifying them in anyway.

He told me what many of his customers with 2013 GT500s had put on their cars, and I would not call it a recommendation from him, but what he has seen successfully put on the stock rims. Maximum upsize on stock rims: front 285/35/19 and maximum rear 295/35/20 or 305/35/20.

I asked him about 285/40/19 for the front since the stock fronts are 265/40/19, and I'll post what he says about that.

Twitchgreen

Established Member

Totally agree with you. I spent like 4 days sifting through thread after thread on here, team shelby.com, & fordgt500.com...& walked away more confused than when I started.

In the end...I think I am just going to hit the easy button & buy some SVTPP take-offs, jettison the the GYs, & get some PSSs.

rwboring

Established Member
guys you CAN install 295's or 305's on stock rims... ive said a million times the terminator guys have put some big meats on stock tires and i dont think any had problems. I put 275's on rims 245's came on with no problem... i have also put 225's on a 6" rim but that had much bigger sidewalls...

keep in mind most people on here go by "recommended" specs from tirerack or the manufacture. you might not get the MOST out of the tire, but when compared to spending essentially a minimum of $400/rim I'd try it out and see.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
One of the best sources of information about tire specifications are the manufacturers' Web sites. For example, 285 is the widest tire Michelin recommends running on 9.5" rims. As with many things, YMMV...

Keep in mind that as you change the tires' width (e.g., 265, 285, etc), their overall circumference changes too, unless you vary the aspect ratio (e.g., 35, 40, etc) inversely to the width. In addition to possible rubbing inside the wheel wells if you up-size too much, this will definitely change the number of revolutions per mile that the wheels turn. When this happens with the rear wheels, speedometer and odometer accuracy will suffer.

Slowponycar

Established Member
Tire Rack, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 295/30/20, are about the same as the stock rears, overall diameter is 27", also it says you can mount it to a 10"-11" wide wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread