Mickey Thompson ET II Vs. Nitto NTO5R

s.hammer

Established Member
Getting ready to install 3.73s and I will be needing some additional traction. Looking for opinions on which tire to go with, the Mickey Thompson or the Nitto. The car is not a daily driver, and it may make it to a track once a year. Any input from members running either of these tires would be greatly appreciated.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
I have had both.

Both have good traction.

The Nittos last twice as long.

This, I have the MTs myself and people will argue back and forth but both are a great choice. I've never tried the nittos but I'm around 720-730 rwhp and I can stomp it from a 30-40mph roll in 2nd and it dead hooks on the MTs. Again I can only speak from a MT standpoint but you asked for individual experiences so I hope it helps.

Nickoli

Established Member
Sell just the M/T's?
I have a set of 305/35/20 MT's mounted on Stock 20" SVTPP Wheels. Went to the strip once and made two passes and got 1.8 60's on both runs - with the stock 3.31 gearing. I'm sure there's room for improvement with practice, and gears will help as well. Definitely better traction than the stock Goodyears on the street too.

I'm looking to sell/trade my Shelby so I put it back to stock, so the SVTPP Wheels and MT's are For Sale(With TPMS). The car has only 1,150 miles on it, so the MT's have only a few hundred miles on them - Plenty of life left in them and wheels are basically new as well.

Asking $1,600 + shipping. The MT/s were over $750 by themselves - http://www.mccormackracing.com/cgi-...ay=etdrag2&method=exact&order_by=ID&order=123

[email protected]

impactblue

Established Member
Getting ready to install 3.73s and I will be needing some additional traction. Looking for opinions on which tire to go with, the Mickey Thompson or the Nitto. The car is not a daily driver, and it may make it to a track once a year. Any input from members running either of these tires would be greatly appreciated.

Believe it or not. I have nt555r and dead hook in all gears

1st gear will hook as long as you are on white concrete. Blacktop won't hook in 1st well

The tires actually broke my rear end at the track

carguy19

Established Member
Believe it or not. I have nt555r and dead hook in all gears

1st gear will hook as long as you are on white concrete. Blacktop won't hook in 1st well

The tires actually broke my rear end at the track

You're the first person I've ever hear that has the Nitto 555R and their tires dont spin. The 555R which I've run in the past on some of my cars, work much better then a standard radial tire, but are no match for the MT ET Street II or the Nitto NT05R.

My car has just 3.73 gears and a tune, and the 555's would not stick for anything on my car.

The NT05R works well on the car. But can still break loose of course if pushed to the limit.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I run Mickey's and 4.10's, and kind of a lot of HP. I like them a lot, they hook killer, but they take a lot away from the handling of the car. They feel really squishy around corners. I just picked up a pair of NT05R's that I'll be mounting next. So I'll be able to compare the two once those are installed.

I ran 555R's before these, and they didn't hook well at all. Better than a normal street tire, but nowhere near what these Mickey's can do.

s.hammer

Established Member
I will be waiting to hear the comparison when you get the NTO5Rs mounted. Thanks for the input, do you find that the rear end wanders at higher speeds? Just trying to get a good idea of what I am in for with drag radials...

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I run Mickey's and 4.10's, and kind of a lot of HP. I like them a lot, they hook killer, but they take a lot away from the handling of the car. They feel really squishy around corners. I just picked up a pair of NT05R's that I'll be mounting next. So I'll be able to compare the two once those are installed.

I ran 555R's before these, and they didn't hook well at all. Better than a normal street tire, but nowhere near what these Mickey's can do.

I also had those tires. both handled the same. once you hit 100 and the road is curved or uneven. you're hanging on with 2 hands. I tried everything even up to 45 psi.

Nitto seemed to hook decent on the street just like the mickey. I ran both at 30 psi. At the track Mickeys easily beat the nittos every time. they are also noticeably softer.

I still have the nittos as well just incase I had an issue with the mickeys

One issue is the Mickeys also balanced poorly. I ended up using a TON of weight to get them to balance where the nittos used about 1.25 gram each. I think the mickeys used 20+grams

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I will be waiting to hear the comparison when you get the NTO5Rs mounted. Thanks for the input, do you find that the rear end wanders at higher speeds? Just trying to get a good idea of what I am in for with drag radials...

Feels like you're drving on 2 flat rear tires. faster you go, the worse it is. under 60 it's not too bad. over 100 it's terrible. past 130 it's hang on for life. I never went past 135 yet with them on there.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
^^^ It feels like you're driving around on 10lbs of pressure in the rear. Doesn't matter whether they're at 35lbs or 15lbs, they feel the same. They do ride nice though, and I've got quite a few miles on them now with plenty left.

Turbosixx

Established Member
Impact blue has a few vids online, car flat hooks. I was surprised too.

Last edited:

impactblue

Established Member
You're the first person I've ever hear that has the Nitto 555R and their tires dont spin. The 555R which I've run in the past on some of my cars, work much better then a standard radial tire, but are no match for the MT ET Street II or the Nitto NT05R.

My car has just 3.73 gears and a tune, and the 555's would not stick for anything on my car.

The NT05R works well on the car. But can still break loose of course if pushed to the limit.

I also had those tires. both handled the same. once you hit 100 and the road is curved or uneven. you're hanging on with 2 hands. I tried everything even up to 45 psi.

Nitto seemed to hook decent on the street just like the mickey. I ran both at 30 psi. At the track Mickeys easily beat the nittos every time. they are also noticeably softer.

I still have the nittos as well just incase I had an issue with the mickeys

One issue is the Mickeys also balanced poorly. I ended up using a TON of weight to get them to balance where the nittos used about 1.25 gram each. I think the mickeys used 20+grams

Impact blue has a few vids online, car flat hooks. I was surprised too.

This is a video of the tires on my friends car... Being a little irresponsible. The 555r are my favorite tire. I doubt I'll ever buy another. They work AMAZINGLY in water which is a huge plus

http://youtu.be/yjEUY4FVCU8

RJ13GT

Established Member

I had the 555r drag radials on my GTO 245s. 420 to the wheels dead hooked on the street and 1.65 60s at the track. They worked great on that car. I put them on my mustang after the procharger install and they would spin some on the street at the top of first gear with the 520rwhp its making. Im going to go with some 285 nt05rs. I had a set of mickeys and if there is dew on the road you are subject to hit the ditch.

Last edited:

impactblue

Established Member
I had the 555r drag radials on my GTO 245s. 420 to the wheels dead hooked on the street and 1.65 60s at the track. They worked great on that car. I put them on my mustang after the procharger install and they would spin some on the street at the top of first gear with the 520rwhp its making. Im going to go with some 285 nt05rs. I had a set of mickeys and if there is dew on the road you are subject to hit the ditch.

Mine are 305-35r20. Video is 680rwhp

s.hammer

Established Member
Riding on 10 psi or flats does not sound like a comfortable feeling, I do spend a good amount of time on the highway, I may need to come up with some other options. Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread