Mickey Thompson ET Street question?

colors

TERM8TR
Established Member
I want to run some M/T ET streets on my cobra, but I've heard it is not recommended to mix bias ply tires with radial tires (on the front), at the track or on the street. :shrug:

vip3r1850

Established Member
I want to run some M/T ET streets on my cobra, but I've heard it is not recommended to mix bias ply tires with radial tires (on the front), at the track or on the street. :shrug:

Not to highjack, but...

I want to know the same thing. . . Will everything be ok if I have P Zero's on the front stock size and put et street radials 295/45/17 on my 9" wide rear ?

How much will the speedo be off because of the slightly taller tire ?

What is the speed rating on a tire like a drag radial - can i still do the occasional top speed run ? Im so confused . . .

MVD

Established Member
Have you ever drag raced with bias ply tires and felt the "sway" on the big end?? Well that is what it would be like driving all the time because of the soft sidewall on the ET Streets.

I would not recommend it as a daily setup.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
ET Streets aren't exactly an acceptable street tire. Sure, they're DOT approved, but I would never use them except to drive to the track. And they should be fine at the track with a bias ply front tire......one 1/4 mile at a time!

COBRAGUY95

Freshly Squeezed
Established Member
They do get pretty crazy at high speeds on the street.

2-16-08020.jpg

drptitan

Established Member
Dont recomend it on the street!!! Got caught in rain once on the way home from a dyno day, 35 on the freeway the whole way home. It was one of the scariest things I experienced in my car, it skates all over the road and a wall is not very forgiving.

On the track, hell ya. Traction FTMFW

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member

I wouldnt do it. Mixing the tires just gets too damn scary up top IMO.:poke:
I would go with ET Street radials if I were you.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
What about m/t street radials with a skinnie up front? I got some 15x10 prostars and 15x3.5 up front

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
What about m/t street radials with a skinnie up front? I got some 15x10 prostars and 15x3.5 up front
I've drive over an hour to the track on at least 6 ocassions with this setup with no problem. But, we're talking about drag radials here........The ET Streets are a totally different animal at the track. In a nutshell: ET Streets for the track, Street Radials for the street.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member

Good point. Does the car wander if you have a MT drag radial on the rear and a bias ply up front? I wouldn't think so:shrug:

Nino S

Established Member
Good point. Does the car wander if you have a MT drag radial on the rear and a bias ply up front? I wouldn't think so:shrug:

That is one of my conerns as well. Running DR's in the back and a radial up front at highway speeds of 80+ mph. Does it track fine or do the different plys cause it to wander all over the road?

MVD

Established Member
That is one of my conerns as well. Running DR's in the back and a radial up front at highway speeds of 80+ mph. Does it track fine or do the different plys cause it to wander all over the road?

You do realize that a drag radial is in fact a radial. They track perfectly fine at all speeds.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
I will chime in on this......

Here are some mounted pictures. I can get better ones if you want.

I have the 315/30-18 MICKEY THOMPSON ET STREET DRAG RADIALS. There was ZERO fitment issues. I have the H&R race springs with the stock ISO's. They are mounted on a 18x10 rim.

I will say this they hook up really nice. Around 65MPH they get a little floaty. The only HWY I was on since getting them is grooved cement and I could feel every wave in the roughed surface. At around 85 it floats. It feels like the 1972 Olds vista cruiser wagon I had in HS.

I am not sure if the surface and wind gust(30-40MPH) had a lot to do with it. But I can sure see how people can over correct with slicks on a car if the DR feel like this. And it started to rain on my way home....LOL.... And it has rained since then, so I have not had it out on the road to get a better feel for the tires.

To be honest. As of now, I would have gone with slicks for the track and a new set of rears for the street. But maybe I just have to get used to the tires.

normal_Tires_%282%29.jpg

normal_Tires_%283%29.jpg

normal_Tires_%281%29%7E0.jpg

VPF

Last edited:

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
I will say this they hook up really nice. Around 65MPH they get a little floaty. The only HWY I was on since getting them is grooved cement and I could feel every wave in the roughed surface. At around 85 it floats. It feels like the 1972 Olds vista cruiser wagon I had in HS.

I am not sure if the surface and wind gust(30-40MPH) had a lot to do with it. But I can sure see how people can over correct with slicks on a car if the DR feel like this. And it started to rain on my way home....LOL.... And it has rained since then, so I have not had it out on the road to get a better feel for the tires.

To be honest. As of now, I would have gone with slicks for the track and a new set of rears for the street. But maybe I just have to get used to the tires.

VPF

I retract the comment in the red....LOL... For now.

I just got the chance to take a nice drive. I went on another HWY that is not as grooved as the other one and the wind is almost zero tonight. The car did not float like it did the other day.

I am pretty sure that what I was feeling was the full surface contact of these tires on the grooves.

VPF

colors

TERM8TR
Established Member
Thanks for the information...looks like I will buy a set of M/T ET drag radials so I will be able to drive at higher speeds on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread