mid '80s 300ZX Turbo

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Driving home from work, minding my own business on an absolutely gorgeous mid-fifty degree, sun-shining afternoon after the midnight "Thundersnow" we had last night, I take the last turn to go home and I hear (windows down, heater on) this loud-ass rev as I exit the intersection and two dumbass kids in a '86/7 (last of the single turbo, wedge cars) brown ZX trying to come around me. I stand on it in second at 30 and the aged GS-Cs wait until the secondaries opened at 45 to leave a nice, quick smokescreen for my "shadow". I immediately put four or five cars on him to 80 and the last light before my house turns red. Hmmmmmm.....

Same scenario as the '89 Saleen kill I reported, big hump in the middle of the intersection followed by a dip with a curve about 1/4 mile down the road. I look over and the driver just gives me a shrug with his palms up and he's got another high-school age passenger. The crosslight turned yellow, so I didn't have time to ask what else he'd done to his car (other than the aftermarket exhaust).

Green light and he nailed it, tires screeching. I take first about half throttle, and when I get across the hump and through the dip, nail it. He gets about length, slamming his car over the hump and through the dip (you know the kind with all the oil pan scrape marks on the far side :-D) and another half after I spun wildly on my first gear/twenty mph punch.

Once I hooked in first, I passed him and put a length or two. I heard him bark second two beats before I shifted and after I hooked up I put another three or four lengths to 80. God I love the look on their faces (plural) when you just pull by them like they're sitting still :D:D:D.

I slowed for my left turn into the subdivision and he gave me another shrug and a wave as he went by...

Last edited:

2001SVTMAN

Established Member
Poor fools.......
You'd think they know better. Oh well, shits and giggles are always fun.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I may as well live in little friggin' China Town... I got a couple 300ZX's around here, one stock, and the other I'm not sure about. One always zips down my street in 2nd (sounding like he needs to shift!) and it sounds funny... not stock, almost a 'gear driven' sound?? I don't know alot about these cars, but he seems like a big poser. Funny thing is I can never find 'em out when I'm out lookin' for a little fun....
Bitch... try an pose down my block... I'm lookin' for this punk next summer!

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Tim Bindon
Be careful. I got my ass handed to me by a early 90's modded 300ZX twin turbo. They're not slow.
Agreed. Key word "twin"... Even stock the '89-up(or was it '90) twin-turbo Zs are lighter than a Cobra and rated at 300 HP. Modded they can be eleven second cars, easy. It would take a hell of a lot of mods to get a late '80s single turbo Z to keep up with a stock '98 Cobra :-D:-D:-D

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
Agreed. Key word "twin"... Even stock the '89-up(or was it '90) twin-turbo Zs are lighter than a Cobra and rated at 300 HP. Modded they can be eleven second cars, easy. It would take a hell of a lot of mods to get a late '80s single turbo Z to keep up with a stock '98 Cobra :-D:-D:-D

Maybe a stock '98 might have problems but just send em my way! ;-)

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I know... I knew the twin turbo's were no slouch, that's why I wonder about that one... but if things go as planned, I'll have a Procharger next year... so "Just Bring It" :D :D :D

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by wheelspin
I'll post the video on my own site tomorrow then. It's a 280Z with a blown fuelie small block Chevy in it.
Ahhh, the "Scarab". Had a '78 280Z and before I sold it, I seriously considered doing the 350 conversion (no blower, however). Always wanted a Scarab...

Users who are viewing this thread