Mid pipe problems

i8urSS

Established Member
I have a 98 with BBK longtubes, BBK o/r H, and flowmaster dumps. I previously had a BBK X on it but I like the sound of the H better so I was gonna switch it out.

I've gotten everything in place, but where the H pipe and the cat back come together there is a huge gap. Both sides are flanged in, instead of one side being flared out (like where the longtubes and H pipe come together.)

Is this normal or maybe do I have the wrong catback on it? I bought it with the afore mentioned set up. I could hear an exhaust leak before I started switching out the mid pipe and once I got everything off, I could tell that the X didn't mate up to the catback properly either.

Is there a trick to getting a good seal or do I have to get it welded? I was wanting to avoid welding because I eventually want to switch to a proper catback with the pipes coming out the back.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Take a pic.

More than likely its the tubes going into the mufflers that are back asswards.

Mid pipes should have a "ball" flare, like this :
TF9420.jpg

Flowtubes into the mufflers should have a "socket" flare like this:
43800.jpg

So the "ball" fits into the "socket".
MACTF25.jpg

Last edited:

i8urSS

Established Member
Ok, so I went back for a better look and the mid pipe is a ball flare and the catback actually is a socket flare. It is just not a good match. Like the socket side is not flared enough. I have it torqued down just about as far as it will go but it still has a pretty significant gap.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Ok, so I went back for a better look and the mid pipe is a ball flare and the catback actually is a socket flare. It is just not a good match. Like the socket side is not flared enough. I have it torqued down just about as far as it will go but it still has a pretty significant gap.

Using hand tools? or air/power tools?

Undo the muffler(s) from the rear hanger(s) and tighten them. See what happens.

Could very well be that the flowtubes have shitty socket ends on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread