Middle Age, Recaro's & Lower back

49NorthVert

Established Member
I was curious if any of you folks over 50 years with Recaro's are noticing after an hour or more of driving that your lower back starts to feel like it is getting stiff? I could also describe it as a sensation of back fatigue where if I arch my back while in the seat, the bit of stretch I give it helps and mitigates the dull ache I seem to get during a medium or long distance drive.
Maybe it's me and middle age. I'm 6' and 193 lbs so it's not a body type issue but maybe my back isn't what it was 20 years ago.
Thanks.:burnout:

Last edited:

jaiasmit

Established Member
I'm not 50, but I definitely know that the Recaros don't have much for lumbar support. If it's causing you discomfort, I'd recommend tossing a little lumbar support behind your lower back before you head out on a long trip. They make nice little flexible mesh supports that let some airflow through, so it stays a little cooler back there. I'm definitely considering getting something for my long road trips.

Blackmax

Established Member
I was curious if any of you folks over 50 years with Recaro's are noticing after an hour or more of driving that your lower back start to feel like it is getting stiff? I could also describe it as a sensation of back fatigue where if I arch my back while in the seat, the bit od stretch I give it helps and mitigates the dull ache I seem to get during a medium or long distance drive.
Maybe it's me and middle age. I'm 6' and 193 lbs so it's not a body type issue but maybe my back isn't what it was 20 years ago.
Thanks.:burnout:

Those seats will screw up your back for sure, I'll take them off your hands.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Yea, worst case I'll swap our seats. Have great back support and I'll install for free lol

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
I got the regular heated seats. I don't track the car, so these do the trick. I have had a herniated disc in my lower back, as well as other minor L4-L5 disc issues. A one to two hour drive is comfortable.

Pete

shelby2

Established Member
I actually found the opposite to be true. The seats for me are way more supportive. However if you are having problems, it is very and I do mean very easy to install lumbar support in them. I also converted my Recarro seats to power..:) best of both worlds

OFLM

Established Member
Recaro Seat Lumbar & Power Addition

I actually found the opposite to be true. The seats for me are way more supportive. However if you are having problems, it is very and I do mean very easy to install lumbar support in them. I also converted my Recarro seats to power..:) best of both worlds

Where did you get the parts to add lumbar supports and power? I am another one on the +50 people with lower back pain. The Recaros are really comfortable for a while, then gets a little uncomfortable. Info would be appreciated.

shelby2

Established Member
You actually can take the lumbar support from stock mustang power seats. I swapped my 2009 electronics/bases on them to make them compatable with the 2009 GT500. However I heard you can do the same swap with later years, if you want to add power and lumbar support. You can get a set deployed from junk yard (remember you only need the power track along with lumbar) you than need to unbolt the backs from the base of the seats cushion comes off and just swap the Reccaro frame onto the power base. Tob did a step by step instruction on how to retro fit the seats. Better write up (on this forum) than any directions you would get from manufacture. Slip the lumbar support into the back of Recarro and place cushion back on nd bolt back together. Sounds hard, but it is really easy. Takes a little time to do it (can be done in a day) but well worth the results.

picture.php

:beer:

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I got the regular heated seats. I don't track the car, so these do the trick. I have had a herniated disc in my lower back, as well as other minor L4-L5 disc issues. A one to two hour drive is comfortable.

Pete

I tore L5 this past fall and have bulges and deterioration at 2,3, and 4. I feel your pain.

The "2013" Recaro's I have fit my back very well. I'm 6' 220lbs and am very comfortable with them. Even more so with the added adjustable lumber. If you open up a factory Recaro seat in the back you'll see the following fixed lumbar support grid.

IMG_1124_zps16f64a51.jpg

The base seats have a motor that pulls the two sides together.

IMG_1122_zps9cad5ecf.jpg

A simple harness and motor. Comes out by squeezing the springs on each side.

IMG_1131_zpsb0071137.jpg

Non-power grid on the Recaro seat comes out the same way.

IMG_1129_zps6b5a3a14.jpg

Swap one for the other, provide power and you're done.

IMG_1139_zps20184803.jpg

49NorthVert

Established Member
Thanks Tob the pics help! A few more question please: Is the power connection for the new lumbar already there under the Recaro seat? where do you adapt the switch gear to operate the swaped in power lumbar? is it the white plastic bracket that moves against the padding to increase lumbar support when operated rather than the inflated bladder type style I have in our Escalade?
Thanks again

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
My car came with the base/power seats so it had the power harness there. I have a hunch that it is on every car regardless of which seat was ordered. The harness plugs into the actuating switch on the left side of the driver seat. I used the plastic trim piece for the base seat on the Recaro seat. You'll need that, the switch itself and the harness. The lumbar motor simply pulls each side together as opposed to the inflatable bladder on other vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread