"Middle of the Road" Brake Pad

shb5007

Established Member
Looking for some recommendations on brake pads for 2014.

I know there are tons of threads...

But, I am not really looking for a "true" track pad, yet.

Will be doing my FIRST two track events (top speed 100, 20 minute sessions) next year, a few local autocross events and the car will also get to a few local shows on the weekends.

I realize there is obviously some give and take with this. Looking for something that will hold up on the open track, have decent performance and be safe. I am not looking to go out and break records...I just want to have some fun.

What pads should I be looking at?

Will the HPS+ be a good starter pad?

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
Decent starter pad, but will squeal on the street. I had left them on my DD for about 3 months before I switched back to the HPS. Wouldn't trust them on track, but great street pad. Doesn't take but about 20-30 minutes to switch them out before you leave for a track day/autocross.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I used EBC yellows while I was in HPDE 1 and even for a bit in 2 with good results. Once I got into group 3 I tried to run EBC Blues. They were alright, but I would have to brake much earlier. I would say start with the Blues. They don't make any noise and work good at low temps. At some point you are going to have to accept swapping pads at the track.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Carbo tech XP 10 fronts

And the best part is i have a set very slightly used that I would sell you for a good deal!

Ah those are more of a track pad..... HPS+ may suit your needs from what I read

Last edited:

NGO

Established Member
My second track weekend, I switched from the stockers to HPS. Burned them up after (8) 25 minutes sessions. The last session I boiled the new ATE blue fluid due to lack of pad thickness causing reduced heat sinking ability... not a good thing but now I know what that feels like :eek:

I just bought a set HPS+ going to try them out on the street, kinda see if I will like them for the track.

Dave, what would you recommend for the track? I know there is ton of threads but curious... Thanks

shb5007

Established Member
Carbo tech XP 10 fronts

And the best part is i have a set very slightly used that I would sell you for a good deal!

Ah those are more of a track pad..... HPS+ may suit your needs from what I read

I saw that and was going to contact you.

I need corvette pads though, using the 6P Baers.

cobra-boss

Established Member
What corvette pad do you need? I have some race pads for a c5 style caliper. I will have to get the # off the box, but I'll make you a good deal.

Jim

cluscher

Established Member
I really like the HT-10s, and they're pretty street friendly. Not much noise. Bite is not overly aggressive and they handle the heat well. I'd definitely give them a shot for the purpose you described. Run the HPS on the rear.

David Hester

Established Member
Look at Hawk site and get an idea what kinds of temperature ranges you expect.
http://www.hawkperformance.com/

Stock pads and even HPS will go away pretty quick on a track day. I used HP+ at Atlanta Motorsports Park with no problem and even kept them on a couple of months on the street. They do squeal. Cooler weather, I changed back to HPS pads. Not real sure about using HT-10's on the street, especially in cold weather. High rotor wear, and they do have to come up to temp to work. Not likely in stop and go cold weather, which means you might not have any brakes in a panic situation. I used them when I ran A/Sedan and really liked them. Cold weather in the paddocks, I almost ran over a guy that came out from between 2 cars. No grip cold. I used Blues at VIR one race. Did ok. Blacks never worked well anywhere. I've never tried any other brand beside Ferodo on the formula ford. I've used Hawks since late 80's. Good stuff.

cluscher

Established Member
Look at Hawk site and get an idea what kinds of temperature ranges you expect.
Hawk Performance Brake Pads: Race Proven, Street Legal

Stock pads and even HPS will go away pretty quick on a track day. I used HP+ at Atlanta Motorsports Park with no problem and even kept them on a couple of months on the street. They do squeal. Cooler weather, I changed back to HPS pads. Not real sure about using HT-10's on the street, especially in cold weather. High rotor wear, and they do have to come up to temp to work. Not likely in stop and go cold weather, which means you might not have any brakes in a panic situation. I used them when I ran A/Sedan and really liked them. Cold weather in the paddocks, I almost ran over a guy that came out from between 2 cars. No grip cold. I used Blues at VIR one race. Did ok. Blacks never worked well anywhere. I've never tried any other brand beside Ferodo on the formula ford. I've used Hawks since late 80's. Good stuff.

I had my concerns about the HT-10s being immediately responsive on the street, and I didn't have any experiences like you described which surprised me. DT-60s is another story. I was also surprised how quiet they were. Rotors were no more worse off either.....this is on a GT500 that is not a daily driver. For a "middle of the road" pad the OP is looking for, that will see the rigors of track duty, these are pretty darn good. Bottom line is you can't have a great street pad and great track pad all in one. The give and take on either side of the equation is relatively small with the HT-10.

NGO

Established Member
So focusing in on Hawks products, for pure track duty, DT-70s would be better than HPS+? HPS is fine for the street and maybe 4 runs at the track and fine on the street.

Disadvantage of running the DT-70s at the track is you have to switch out your street rotors? Running Stock 2 piston Cobra PBR calipers. Just curious if anybody has tried both on the track with this configuration...

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
The 60 and 70 are full race pads which you will not want to run on the street. Highest I'd go is Blues but they are hard on the rotors when cold (street temps) - I've run these on the street a decent amount..OK in the summer heat but ended up half way into an intersection in cold weather. I personally hated the HP+ as it was noisy, dusty and didn't last long on track but if you were to stick with Hawk, these or the HT would suite your needs. HPS is not sufficient for track duty.

I tend to be lazy and drive home on my track pads, Raybestos ST 43 and have had no issue but I wouldn't have them on if I were doing a bunch of street driving.

If you are looking to swap pads in/out (no need to swap rotors), I'd go with HPS for the street and try a track pad like the Blues or HT as they don't have some of the characteristics of the 60/70s which is probably too much pad for a beginner.

All of these pads choices are fine with the PBR caliper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread