Midpipe Installation tips........

Gxsa140

Established Member
Just fought and cussed my Magnaflow X onto the car.........not very fun on the garage floor with jack stands.
Now it has leaks from 3 spots, one being the passenger side header...imagine!
Does anyone have any tips on installing it. I thought maybe someone has a trick or sequence to putting the x pipe on so that it does not leak.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
mine dont leak at all, never has, but i did mine at work on my lift. the header bolt werent to bad to get to with a universal joint, i couldnt get a swivel socket on em. (wouldnt angle enough)

use a floor jack or a friend (what i did) to hold the mid-pipe up while you bolt it on. oh and use anti-sieze on the O2 sensors.

just start all the nuts on the studs, dont tighten any of them.

the pasenger side is a crush ring. are you sure yours stayed in the header when you removed the stock mid-pipe? if so maybe it just didnt seal good. get another one. i tightened this side first because it has a flat mating surface and should insure proper alignment.

the driver side is like donut style gasket (except i cant remember if there was a gasket or it was just ball socket style, tighten each bolt alittle at a time so it seats evenly when tightening that side. tighten this side second cause if you tighten it first and its crooked you may stretch, bend, brake something when you tighten down the other side.

of course make sure you dont cross thread any nuts on the studs, this will obvoisly cause big leaks, and those studs would be a pain to rethread.

reatch the rest of the exhaust, and your done.

also after a thousands miles or two go back and tighten all the bolts and connections to the whole exhaust again.

Users who are viewing this thread