Might be getting a 2002 GT - What should I look for?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
The girlfriend wants to get a Mustang GT and we found a nice one. It's a 2002 black/black coupe, with an auto tranny (she can't drive stick) with only 16K miles.

I've owned Mustang GT's in the past and now have an 03 Cobra. Both my GT's never had any problems, so other than obvious mechanical issues, I'm not sure what to look for problem-wise.

With the Cobra, there are so many issues, it's was easy to make a list of all the common things to look for. With the Cobra, I checked for the "tick", rear-end pop, vibe, etc..

With my previous 1999 GT, there really wasn't any specific problem to watch out for.

Is there anything that I should be aware of when it comes to the 2001+ model year GT's with an automatic transmission?
:shrug:

Blackgeetee

Established Member
I can't think of any off the top of my head, especially since it has an automatic.

The one thing I can think of to worry about though is 03 Cobras.:beer:;-)

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
GT's are quite dependable and bulletproof. I have an '02 and have multiple friends with 99+ GT's and the only problem they have had is tires that wear out to fast!:burnout:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Teach her to drive a stick. My girlfriend just bought a 95' T/A and originally was going to get an auto but I taught her how to drive a stick and within the first week of having her T/A w 6-speed she was driving it like a pro!

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I've tried to teach her dozens of times. She just can't get the hang of it and is really not interested anymore.

Not being able to drive a manual really limits what you can drive IMO. We had a bitch of a time finding a black GT with an auto.

Users who are viewing this thread