Might get the Mach 1 after all the Cobra problems

TheFuture

Established Member
Download this from the 03-04Cobra Faq

5.3. The “clunk” issue
The “clunk” is a moderate volume sound which typically occurs after depressing the accelerator following a coast. It is very noticeable in 6th gear in most cases. This seems to be caused by play in the driveline, but also seems to be fairly normal in Mustangs, and so far, is not a major concern.

5.4. The “stall” issue
Stalling is a common and potentially dangerous problem with the Cobras. Stalling tends to occur when you accelerate quickly while the engine is still warming up and then depress the clutch, especially when turning or braking. In most cases, the car immediately starts back up. One theory is that this is caused by the ECU not opening the throttle enough to compensate for the added load that the power steering and brakes apply to the engine. A fix has not yet been found. More information can be found in this thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22463

5.5. The “tick” issue
This problem sounds like a light ticking coming from the driver’s side valve cover, and is most noticeable when the car is warm. If you can hear the noise inside the car while idling, you most likely have the problem, otherwise, the ticking you hear is most likely injector noise (normal). The jury is still out regarding what is causing the noise. Ford supposedly has a SSM out on the tick calling for re-torqueing of the cams, which seems to resolve the problem in some cases. Others (this author included) have reported a diminishing or even elimination of the problem simply by changing to 5w30 synthetic oil. This thread has more information on the problem: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16940

5.6. Paint problems
Various problems have been reported concerning the quality of the Cobra’s paint. It seems that the paint was poorly/thinly applied in some cases, and light impacts seem to cause considerable chipping to the paint. Others have reported cracking after only a short period of time. The worst cases of this problem seem to have been repaired under warranty, but you mileage may vary. Many people are resorting to protection products using 3M Scotchcal film. These products have been discussed in the following thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18270

5.7. Fitment problems
Many people (this author included) have reported poor fit and finish in the Cobra’s body panels. This can be easily seen in most cases by examining the seams of the body parts. In particular, the fitment of the rear quarter panels seem to be a tad off fairly commonly (you can see the panels rise above the surrounding bodywork). No news as of yet about fixing this problem under warranty.

5.8. Hard starts
There have been several reports of the Cobra being difficult to start when cold. Typically, this problem is described as the car taking a few seconds to fire up on a typical cold start. Many people, including myself, have this problem. There is no known solution at this time.

5.9. Window squeal
Some owners have reported a high-pitched squeal from the window seals when raising or lowering the windows. This seems to be caused by insufficient lubrication, and can be fixed following the procedures outlines in the following thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18320

5.10. Loose hoses
Many owners (myself included) have reported various hoses hanging free that should have been tied off away from moving parts of the engine. Simply check and tie off as necessary. The most common hoses are the coolant hose (large hose with wire mesh covering running behind the radiator), and the oil cooler hose (runs from under the engine).

5.11. Clogged Cats
Some cars have experienced a melting of the honeycomb inside the cats due to a rich fuel mixture. This problem causes a rough idle when warm, a slight "miss" from idle to mid RPMs, "sluggish" acceleration and/or an occasional skunk smell. The solution appears to be replacing the cats. The following thread has more info on this problem: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17529

5.12. Pedals Cracking
Many drivers have broken the stock gas pedal on their Cobras. This seems to be caused by the weak material the pedals are made out of (plastic with a metal insert) combined with a lead foot. Ford has been replacing these under warranty thus far. However, real metal pedals can be bought from several vendors, and would be a more permanent solution.

5.13. Grinding gears
Many owners have trouble properly shifting their Cobras, due to a combination of the shifter position/travel and in some cases poor clutch adjustment. For more info on resolving these problems, see 4.9.

5.14. Noisy shifter
Many owners have complained of noise/vibration coming from the shifter and tranny. So far, some noise and vibration seems to be normal, and is attributable to the nature of the T-56 and the shift linkage. Replacing the stock shifter, however, will not resolve this problem, and will most likely make it worse (due to the removal of some of the bushings).

5.15. Clutch pedal vibration
This problem seems to be due to poor clutch adjustment in most cases. See 4.9 for more information on resolving this problem.

5.16. Dirty rear brakes
Many owners have reported a considerable amount of brake dust from the rear brakes. This seems to be normal and mostly due to the high performance pads used on the rear.

5.17. Loose lug nuts
Many owners have reported loose lug nuts (usually the anti-theft nuts) on their wheels at delivery. For this reason, it is suggested that you check the tension in the lugs shortly after your purchase.

5.18. Ultra-firm seats
Many owners feel that the seats are very tight upon initial delivery. However, the seats tend to break in with time, and become more comfortable.

5.19. Poor clutch adjustment
This is a common, reoccurring problem, with the most common symptom involving the clutch “grabbing” very close to the floor. The solution is to use the adjustment procedure outlined in 4.9 fairly regularly. If the procedure does not resolve the problem, then the only lasting solution is to upgrade the clutch quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster.

5.20. “Skunk” smell
Most owners report a quite strong “skunk” smell in the car for the first 20-100 miles after purchase. This seems to be caused by oils burning off of the components. If yours persists longer than 100 miles, however, you may want to check for clogged cats, as listed in 5.11.

5.21. Pop in the front/rear of the car while turning
This is also a pretty common problem that most owners (including myself) have with the car. It typically occurs when turning the car sharply up or down an uneven slope, such as when entering a raised driveway. It sounds like a loud “pop” in the suspension when coming from the front, and a slightly softer “creak and pop” when coming from the rear. This is most likely caused by chassis flex, as some have reduced or eliminated the problem through the addition of stiffening components such as subframe connectors. More information on this problem is available in the following thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20308

5.22. Double sided tape showing from under spoiler
Some owners have sections of the 3M double-sided tape used to mount the rear spoiler peeking out from the edges. The only known solution is to trim off the excess tape.

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I would think the problems would be shared by the Cobra and Mach 1, except for the clunk, pop in rear and tape.

There have been reports of all of the others on the Mach 1 as far as I know.

If you have loose lugs, then tighten them. Dirty Rears?, wash the car more.

I have been picky in the past, and the Cobra does make different sounds based on tempature I feel, but the only legit problem I can say I have is an occasional pop on incline.

It's one BAD ASS for the Cash!

Last edited:

Ashdrgn

Established Member
Sometimes shifting into 2nd has a "clunk" or "crunch" , only when it's cold out, but other than that Mach 1 is a okay..!:thumbsup:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
I only got 385miles on my Mach1 :D. Traded the 03Cobra for it.

If Cash is not a problem id get the Cobra since u get alot for a price difference of 4k....but since the dealers are offering the Mach1's for 22,000.00 u really cant beat it.

No Clunk on the Mach1 like the Cobra.
No Interior Noise like the Cobra.
No Wind Noise from Driver Side Window like the Cobra.
No Pop like the Cobra...but i can hear the Driver Spring squating when i do drive off 1st gear.
No rachet feel when shifting like the Cobra...but like Ashdrgn said. Feels great when the car is warmed up.
No tick issue or the noise of the Injector's like the Cobra.

U forgot about the TOB problem that the Cobra has....well honstly ive had it on my 00GT & 01Cobra. So i dont think that the Mach1 is not going to get it....stupid FORD.

Paint....check on when the car arrived into the Dealer. A brand new delivered car will not have much issues with the Paint VS a car thats been in a LOT for say 300days.

For the Price right now....Mach1 is a good idea. Same motor & the best thing NO FREAKING WHEEL HOP. Cobra...well thats just a stronge ass machine. 11 sec Daily Driver is possible with about 2-3K....depending on where u live.

Good luck....im happy with my Mach1 :beer:

MachWon

Cobra's are definately Bad to the Bone, but I love my Mach1. I test drove both, but liked the payments better on the Mach1. The Cobra is still an unbelievable choice for the price. I am just not a fan of the IRS. Had it on my 99 Cobra and hated the HOP. Like the Solid but wish they came with stronger axles.

Users who are viewing this thread