MIL new 5.0 Coyote crate engine

kenny nunez

Established Member
I have just finished installing the complete 2016 package in my 68 F-100.
The MIL does not go out like the directions said it would. I went over the wiring several times. I took it to a friend’s shop and the scanner said the AIT was 40* and the fuel injection power was out. The engine starts instantly, the IAC controls the idle, it appears to be using too much fuel however. I am using a 4r70w with a US shift controller and a Auto Meter tach signal converter for the shift control.
I have not cut or modified anything and am using the complete air filter system without any modifications.
I sure hope I can get some help as I do not want to start guessing and throwing $ at it and not correcting the problem. Thanks, Kenny

railroad

Established Member
I have heard of 2 harness problems with the Coyote kit purchased from Ford for these engines. One they exchanged the harness and the other required relocation of 2 pins in a connector.
Try the Ford Perf hot line and see what they advise.

kenny nunez

Established Member
I have heard of 2 harness problems with the Coyote kit purchased from Ford for these engines. One they exchanged the harness and the other required relocation of 2 pins in a connector.
Try the Ford Perf hot line and see what they advise.
. Thanks for the reply.
Guess what! They told me to contact someone on this site! That is why I asked the question in the first place.
Those guys are not that helpful and try to see how fast they can get you off the phone.
On the spec sheet the oil requirement is 5-50. On the valve cover the fill says 5-20. I know this is “splitting hairs” but you can see where I am coming from.
The electrical and fuel instructions are easy to follow but there is no information on the vacuum arrangement. That is where some improvement in the instructions would help.
I am a retired auto and marine mechanic so this is not my first rodeo. I installed a 32 valve 98 MK engine in my 67 Ford Galaxie 8 years ago with a T45 that gets driven a lot.
If the engine needs to be scanned for a problem does Ford have a “generic” vin that can be used ?

railroad

Established Member
If you are using an OBD II scanner, I do not think a vin is necessary.
Not 100% on this.
The 2 issues I related to are discussed on FFR site. I thought I had an email relating to the relocation of the pins in the harness, but did not.
War Eagle Scott had to send his harness back for a replacement. I cannot remember the name of the other Coyote harness issue. Maybe a search will turn up something. Fortunately they have a Coyote thread forum. Good luck,

Users who are viewing this thread