Minimum Wage

slick4_6

Established Member
I thought it was ridiculous that the gubment was trying to bump minimum wage almost $2 an hour but check out this. It was on the local news tonight. There is also a link to a vid of the story. They want to bump minimum wage to $9.36 an hour.

Link to news story

Last edited:

ghost96gt

Shoot to Thill
Established Member
i am no econ major but everytime u raise the min wage dont you in essence increase inflation because ppl know they can charge more?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
nothing like setting more artificial barriers in our "free" market.....

you would not want to see what a truly free market looks like.

I think raising the minimum wage was a necessary step.

Quadcammer

Established Member
vetteslay0r said:
yes I would

have fun with that.

A lot of us industries would absolutely collapse.

You'd probably get out of school making $10 per hour.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
When will people ever learn...median household income in the U.S is roughly 46k. The people that make minimum wage, or anywhere close to it, are not feeding families 99% of the time. Most of the time they are high school kids getting pizza money or people who live in areas where you can get a big apartment for $400 a month.

Raising the minimum wage to $9.36 would be absolutely crippling to any number of small businesses that rely on cheap teenage or unskilled labor to survive.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Rochard said:
Someone making $9 can't afford to have 5 maxed out credit cards, 3 vehicles, and a mortgage.....

fixed it for ya...

It is very possible to live on minimum wage.

slick4_6

Established Member
I just can't see the average person at McDonalds making $9 an hour. You people in California, New York, New Jersey, and other states with a higher cost of living might look at this a little different. Most minimum wage jobs around here are part time jobs in fast food restaurants or grocery stores that high school students work anyway.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
capnkirk52 said:
fixed it for ya...

It is very possible to live on minimum wage.

Thank you. While I wouldn't say it's possible to live a normal life on minimum wage in most of the U.S (if you are the primary income in a household), people have this ****ed up expectation that "I need X amount of dollars, or else I can't have the basics. You know, cable, xbox, a couple pairs of nikes, a pretty big tv, movie tickets, beer, etc."

slick4_6

Established Member
DBK said:
people who live in areas where you can get a big apartment for $400 a month.

Around here you can rent a decent house for $500 a month. Apartments are probably in the $400 a month range.

Quadcammer

Established Member
vetteslay0r said:
Really... and how is that, Mr. Keynes?

ever hear of subsidies for agriculture, and tariffs for steel?

Oh, lets forget about opec too.

Ah, I guess we can also throw out anti trust laws as well.

Have fun going to buy medicine for a reasonable price when pfizer/merck/novartis, etc all merge and decide they can charge out the ass for prescription drugs. Since demand is inelastic, you take it in the ass.

Maybe you have a savings account, im sure you'll enjoy earning .1% on it because there is no competition.

I have a B.A. in economics and attend a top tier MBA program, you sure you want to keep arguing?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
minimum wage is a farce and whoever is working for that type of money is selling themselves short. pizza delivery, mowing lawns, cleaning houses all jobs that can easily make 15+ an hour. hell there is even people making up to $150k a year picking up dog waste!

Users who are viewing this thread