misfire+rough idle=problem...

mike6466

Established Member
okay guys there is a huge background of this car and build. alot of work and money and time has been put into this motor and car and i need to some help. i dont know if you mach1 guys remember but i posted a thread a while back about my options.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/621365-my-options.html

about 11 months ago i started this build after i had blown a head gasket. while i was preparing to take it all apart to replace this gasket, i started think to why dont i just pull a little more money and build this motor. well thinking and stressing went by pretty quick and i decided to build it and also replace gaskets of course...

heres the breakdown of this motor. i went with .020 bore, je pistons and rings, manley rods, arp 2000 bolts and crank was grinded down 20th(i think thats how you would say it), and also oversized bearing to fit. also longtubes, x pipe catless, ported heads. had the intake valves replaced on the passenger side head because of a mechanics mistake. had a machine shop build the bottom end. got the bottom end back and i started my put together process. everything went crazy after i needed bolt here, grease there, ect.. all said and done it was finally finished.

about two weeks ago i was gonna start it for the first time but, i had no spark or no fuel. i checked my cut off switch checked my wires and eventually found the crank sensor and cam sensor wires stripped and touching. well i fix those problems the motor started right up and ran healthy and strong. there was no misfire, no fuel issues, no problems what so ever. it idled great and then i decided to change my spark plugs to good new ones. did that and still ran fine. i couldnt drive it because i need to register it and smog. i went to the dmv and got it temp registration. drove it for the first time and i started to have a slight misfire at idle and a really bad misfire with a slight load on it.

ive got a predator so i set my rev to 3000k to be sure i break it in properly. on my drive i never went over 3k or 55mph. brought it home and tried to figure why the hell the problem is and this is where i am.

on the driver side ingnition wires for cop i took of eletric tape and found a short in the wire. fixed that and it helped but didnt eleminate problem. went through all cylinders and pulled cop out and found a cylinder that would have no affect of idle with me pulling it out completly which is #1 cylinder. im getting spark to coil but its kinda irregular. kinda like a heart would act if it had a heart mumor. i thought maybe it could be sparking to wall and not spark plug so i taped all cops with eletrical tape. no fix... my tps was out fixed that and it didnt fix the misfire. checked all wires around the cylinder and even fuel injector was replaced thinking it was that.

when i bought this car is was a 99 cobra with 99 cobra stock motor. it had 165k on it. motor blew and i put in a 04 mach1 motor and 3650 trans. i kept the 99 cobra wire harness and ecu. could that be a issue? im so stumped right now. could i have dammaged the pcm or anything of that order? im getting so frustruated with this issue im getting closer and closer to taking to the dealer. or sell it.

please, any help or suggestions will be gladly appriciated.

buckinwild

Established Member
The most recent problem leads me to think its ignition component related, test all the wires going to the cop's, test the cop's themselves, try reinstalling old plugs to rule out one of the new ones being defective. The dealer will not touch this car so don't bother. good luck.

buckinwild

Established Member
Something else you may try, since your running a ecu and harness from a 99 cobra-switch the engine sensors over to the 99's as well or get a ecu from a mach1. I've seen in the past where although sensors look alike they may operate with different voltage value's, that would cause the ecu to get inaccurate data. If it doesn't missfire right away and runs fine for several minutes before going to crap, it'll be engine management related i.e. match the sensors to the ecu.

mike6466

Established Member
Something else you may try, since your running a ecu and harness from a 99 cobra-switch the engine sensors over to the 99's as well or get a ecu from a mach1. I've seen in the past where although sensors look alike they may operate with different voltage value's, that would cause the ecu to get inaccurate data. If it doesn't missfire right away and runs fine for several minutes before going to crap, it'll be engine management related i.e. match the sensors to the ecu.

thats what i was thinking also, but i had the same 99 cobra wire harness and ecu on this motor before i had it built and it ran fine. right before it blew the head gasket when the motor was stock, i can remember that it misfired a little and i thought it was coolant leaking into one of the cylinders. i want to switch the ecus anyways but i gotta fined one for a good price first. anybody know where i can get a decent used one for a good deal. thanks

mike6466

Established Member
if its not a plug or a cop. i would check your maf, do you have a screen or not?

what do u mean by screen? you talking about a monitor like the hand held device? i do have a predator that can data log if thats what you mean.

thats also a options/problem that ran through my mined is that it could be the maf. im also gonna try that and see if changing the maf will work. thanks. anybody else got any options/troubleshooting ideas i can do.

buckinwild

Established Member
thats what i was thinking also, but i had the same 99 cobra wire harness and ecu on this motor before i had it built and it ran fine. right before it blew the head gasket when the motor was stock, i can remember that it misfired a little and i thought it was coolant leaking into one of the cylinders. i want to switch the ecus anyways but i gotta fined one for a good price first. anybody know where i can get a decent used one for a good deal. thanks

if you have coolant leaking into the cylinders odds are the car will be smoking if theres enough to cause a misfire. salvage yards, ebay, craiglist, etc. are some places to look for ecu's. where did you find the motor? possibility they would have had a ecu there.

mike6466

Established Member
The motor was a year ago and I built it. He sold only motor. No ecu. Its a built motor that I did so I don't think it would be leaking coolant in the cylinder if its all brand new. I'm confident. In my work. It only misfires before 2k and after 2k when I put a little more load on it like if I was Google up a hill. Like I said though the coil sparks like a heart mumor. It pull up a code. P0351. But it might have pulled that code because I pulled the coil when the motor was running. I've heard something about ignition module. Do these cars have that and where is located.

BlueOvle

Have you done a compression test yet to take a bad cylinder out of the mix. I would also leak the cylinder down to make sure it is sealed and try switching coils from bank to bank. You might just have a bad coil. I have had them where they are bad intermitently. Good Luck.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
What tune is in the car?

You shouldn't need a new ECU btw. Have a tuner install a Mach tune and tweak it from there. Have him install the program that matches the date code of your Mach motor.

There are a few things that it 'could be', but start by getting the tune taken care of.....well, the 'starting point' of the tune.

rjuice

Established Member
I have done basically the same swap in my 99 cobra. Had the same issue and had a bad cop. I replaced all of them with new and haven't had a problem since. btw what maf are you using? Mine seemed to run best mith the mach1 maf. I also have a mach1 computer and you will run into problems with the cooling fan with that computer, as there are different pin outs on that computer.

Users who are viewing this thread