missfire? bad plugs?

knkfiend

Professional Exploder
Established Member
my truck just recently started a weird habit. at very light throttle while crusing(no load) i get what souds and feels to me as a very small misfire. as soon as a put alittle load on it( 0 vacuum) it seems to disapear. i made a pull today from 60-120, 3rd gear only, and it may have sputtered one time, very small if at all. im getting no codes, no pending codes, nothing. does this sound like a coil issue or possibly a plug issue? i have tr6s in there gapped at .035 and the truck has been running for a year now and about 10k miles. any insight on what this could be?

Thanks!

knkfiend

Professional Exploder
Established Member
as in can i feel it miss? i guess i can. under part throttle it just will randomly cut out for a split second at random times.

very similar to my buddies car. it had a bad dist and had the same kind of problem. slow cruzing it would randomly stumble, but under wot it was fine.

my truck seems to be missing the distributor part:bash:

Last edited:

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
If you have a scanner use it, or if you know someone that has one. Even if it doesnt throw a CEL it might still have something logged in the memory. It could save you alot of guess work.

stangmanfive0

Neighborhood Jugernaught
Established Member
its probally a bad COP i had the same thing happen to me took a few days to get worse and eventually th check engine light came on and truck really run horible replaces the number 4 cop and changed all the plugs and ran like a champ also check all your vacume lines one of my vacume lines had a tinny crack in it replaced it and truck ran even better than after teh plug change ... im sure that is your problem

sethlovesfords

Established Member
I'm having this same problem. Weird thing is, it was happening before i blew my engine, and its still happening. New plugs, COP's, injectors, PCM, tune, whipple, new everything except intake manifold lol. I'm still having this problem, though. For me, it must be a vaccum leak somewhere...:shrug:
Not to steal your thread, but could bad O2 sensors or MAF cause this problem also?

knkfiend

Professional Exploder
Established Member
im going to attempt plugs and COPS this weekend. also might get it checkout for any vacuum leaks. which reminds me, why does noone have a vacuum diagram?

gucci

00BlkLght
Established Member
did the engine get wet? my friend washed his engine after i told him he shouldnt and condinsation got in cop 4 and made the boot swell causing missfire. changed the coil and now runs like a champ.

knkfiend

Professional Exploder
Established Member
did the engine get wet? my friend washed his engine after i told him he shouldnt and condinsation got in cop 4 and made the boot swell causing missfire. changed the coil and now runs like a champ.

no, i had one get wet like that before and it was very noticable. this is a common occurance while driving at part throttle. if anything, its better under load.

F8TLSNK94

BIG BALLER
Established Member
check the plugs mine was doing that and i was about to swap the coils and removed the plugs(only 5k on them)and the plugs were eat up changed them and no problem.Also gap at 32 and you sould have no worries.My handheld was showing no codes also!!

knkfiend

Professional Exploder
Established Member
check the plugs mine was doing that and i was about to swap the coils and removed the plugs(only 5k on them)and the plugs were eat up changed them and no problem.Also gap at 32 and you sould have no worries.My handheld was showing no codes also!!

thanks for the tip. im going to try and do the fuel filter today, and the plugs this weekend. id love it if i didnt have to spend 400 dollars on COPs:kaboom:

Taunto

Established Member
Do you have the EGR Delete. I know theres a TSB about when deleting the EGR you can get a very slight rough idle and under slight acceleration. For The vacuum Diagram, theres one on the radiator shorud under the hood...

knkfiend

Professional Exploder
Established Member
Do you have the EGR Delete. I know theres a TSB about when deleting the EGR you can get a very slight rough idle and under slight acceleration. For The vacuum Diagram, theres one on the radiator shorud under the hood...

nope no egr delete. and as far as vacuum diagram, i do not have the stock shroud.:shrug:

i noticed one more thing today, the blower seems to make alot more noise, lots of i guess like a wind down noise, made my air.

sorry dudes im a turbo guy:shrug:

knkfiend

Professional Exploder
Established Member
welp, did the plugs and didnt find anything wrong, they looked beautiful actually. so i just got 8 new COPs and will be putting them intonight along with a new fuel filter. if that doesnt fix it im going to kill someone.

ps- plugs were suprisingly easy to do. i bought the ford spark plug tool from advance and it really helped out. on the pass side the back one was prob the toughest, and the driver side i took off the vac line bracket and popped the fuel rail up. easy as pie:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread