MM diff bushings make lots of noise

rsilver

Established Member
Hi guys, have not been on the forum for a while, I searched for an answer but couldn't find anything.
I have had the MM aluminum diff bushings in for about a year. the vibe definitly went away but I noticed from the time they were installed that I gets lots of gear noise and I notice clunks, pops at lower speeds driving from stop light to stop light. Did we do something wrong with the install or is this normal? thanks in advance for your thoughts.........bob

rsilver

Established Member
I was thinking the same thing, but not understanding the install I was under the impression that the ring and pinion does not have to be removed to install the MM kit. If that is the case, then the gear lash should be correct because I didn't have the howl before. That being said I understand that the solid bushings are going to cause more noise, that doesn't account for clunks, pop's etc. Any help on this would be appreciated, I just want to make sure we didn't do something in the install that is causing this.........I hope some will give additional thoughts.....thanks again .....bob

20psirabbit

Established Member
the more solid you make the suspension, the more the noise, pops, clunks, etc. are going to be transmitted through the driveline. it doesn't necessarily mean it's clunking now more than before, just that before the rubber would soak up more of it. also when you put the diff mounts in did you set the pinion angle? i know that's one thing you're supposed to do, maybe that's part of your problem?

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
Hi guys, have not been on the forum for a while, I searched for an answer but couldn't find anything.
I have had the MM aluminum diff bushings in for about a year. the vibe definitly went away but I noticed from the time they were installed that I gets lots of gear noise and I notice clunks, pops at lower speeds driving from stop light to stop light. Did we do something wrong with the install or is this normal? thanks in advance for your thoughts.........bob

Mine does the same thing (clunks,pops,etc.) I've had them in for about 4 years and about 45K miles now with no ill effects, so I wouldn't worry. An increase in NVH is expected.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I don't notice any unusual noises other than a gear whine which becomes noticable over 40 mph, which I got used to very quickly.

rsilver

Established Member
thanks very much everyone, the original pinion angle was way off and we got it to within a 1/2 degree practically speaking by stacking the bushings per instructions. the vibe totally went away all the way up as fast as i am willing to drive it, but i was always worried about all the noise. Looking at the rubber mount, I can see how it would soak up a lot of this, its large and heavy. Thanks again for the help.......bob

Users who are viewing this thread