MM&FF set on ruining 1331 mile Teal Cobra

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I just read the article a little while ago and wonder why the hell would you want to gut a car with 1300 miles on it over a simple valve spring.

Sounds like his friend is retarded for doing that to me.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I personaly would have gone the restoration route but since they paid for it (and not me) they can do whatever the hell they want to with it. Seems like a waste in my mind to beat the crap out of a piece of history that has been preserved in a bubble for a number of years when they could easily pick up a 4 cylinder or inexpensive 5.0 car and beat the crap out of it instead.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I guess if you were able to track down another motor/ tranny that would be the better route. After thinkin it over some more they should have picked up some high mile car instead.

9 deuce gt

Established Member
I have to say that a lot of you guy's are hypocrites. Many of you own modded Cobras. So just because the car has low mileage, it should never be driven to it's potential? Give me a break. If that's the case, all of you should be ashamed of yourselves for ever driving the car you own. A lot of you guy's are saying that the owner will beat the crap out of the car. How the hell do you know what he's going to do with it? Just because the car is taken to the drag strip or the road course doesn't mean it will be destroyed. If the car has a high performance drivetrain, and what is left of the original parts are kept for later use, and the body is not modded in any way that is not repairable, who cares if he drvies it hard.

Some of you guy's are probably the ones who buy a rare factory car like a '93 R or '07 Shelby, put it in a barn somewhere and just wait for it to appreciate in value and sell it for far more than it's worth. Never once enjoying the car. You are probably the same guy's that beat off to Barret Jackson and his band of ripoff artists who drive up the prices on cars that have no business getting the prices they do. Single handedly ruining the automotive industry and taking the cars out of the hands of average guys that might want to own their dream car.

I hope the guy from MM&FF mods this thing to hell and drives the piss out of it. And I hope he enjoys every minute of it.

Last edited:

9 deuce gt

Established Member
Now with that being said, if you want to own a stock original car and enjoy it for what it was from the factory, that's fine. But for any of us to say what another guy should do with his money or car, that's rediculous.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
9 deuce gt said:
I have to say that a lot of you guy's are hypocrites. Many of you own modded Cobras. So just because the car has low mileage, it should never be driven to it's potential? Give me a break. If that's the case, all of you should be ashamed of yourselves for every dirving the car you own. A lot of you guy's are saying that the owner will beat the crap out of the car. How the hell do you know what he's going to do with it? Just because the car is taken to the drag strip or the road course doesn't mean it will be destroyed. If the car has a high performance drivetrain, and what is left of the original parts are kept for later use, and the body is not modded in any way that is not repairable, who cares if he drvies it hard.

Some of you guy's are probably the ones who buy a rare factory car like a '93 R or '07 Shelby, put it in a barn somewhere and just wait for it to appreciate in value and sell it for far more than it's worth. Never once enjoying the car. You are probably the same guy's that beat off to Barret Jackson and his band of ripoff artists who drive up the prices on cars that have no business getting the prices they do. Single handedly ruining the automotive industry and taking the cars out of the hands of average guys that might want to own their dream car.

I hope the guy from MM&FF mods this thing to hell and drives the piss out of it. And I hope he enjoys every minute of it.

+1

I am one of those guys whom (if money was no object) would have a 93 R out on a dragstrip spraying it with a 150 shot :-D

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
9 deuce gt said:
I have to say that a lot of you guy's are hypocrites. Many of you own modded Cobras. So just because the car has low mileage, it should never be driven to it's potential? Give me a break. If that's the case, all of you should be ashamed of yourselves for every dirving the car you own. A lot of you guy's are saying that the owner will beat the crap out of the car. How the hell do you know what he's going to do with it? Just because the car is taken to the drag strip or the road course doesn't mean it will be destroyed. If the car has a high performance drivetrain, and what is left of the original parts are kept for later use, and the body is not modded in any way that is not repairable, who cares if he drvies it hard.

Well you have to admit there's a big diff between buying a new car and driving it all the time as some 93 Cobra guys have done and buying a soon to be 14 year old car with only 1331 miles thats sure to be a collectable and possibly hacking it up. I'm not a collector but I do appreciate these cars. I too believe cars are meant to be driven thats why I own the cars that I do.:beer:
Have you owned a collectible and driven it all the time?

9 deuce gt

Established Member
I'm not disputing the fact that keeping a car nice as a sure bet collectible is not a smart move. But we have to look at the facts here: The car does not have the original drivetrain, it actually has no drivetrain for that matter. That kills any kind of "original" market value. Now, the owner could certainly buy a matching drivetrain and put it in the car. And he very well may do that in a few years if he decides the car will be too valuable to continue to drive the way he seems to be leaning in the magazine article. But then again, he may not. He may continue to drive the crap out of it, hopefully not modding or damaging the body beyond repair.

In the long run, I feel it doesn't matter. It's the buyers car, and it may make for great reading. There are plenty of early Mustangs that led an extremely hard life when they were purchased. They had no signs of ever becoming a collectible. The owners "ruined" these cars, by this boards standards. Now look at them. Most are catching top dollars and are out of the reach of the average Mustang enthusiast. No one but the original owners and the body repair man would ever know of the "other" life the car has lived. If the car is restored correctly it will still be considered a rare collectible someday.

That's why I say let the MM&FF guy drive the car the way he wants. If he is smrt and keeps the body mods to a repairable level, the car will still be worth $$$$ in the long run after a restoration. It will probably be worth more knowing it was a magazine ride.

And 04Mysticobra: To answer your question, no I have not owned a collectible and driven it all the time. I'm not yet lucky enough to own a limited edition car. :bash: I will have a '93 Cobra someday. And it will be modded. :D

Last edited:

Sargent1

Established Member
What a ridulous post. How many of the 93 Cobras here are stock, regardless of mileage? The guy that bought your 8900 mile car probably modded the hell out it...

I put 5000+ miles on 12,300 mile 95R in the last year. That must make me Satan...

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
9 deuce gt said:
A lot of you guy's are saying that the owner will beat the crap out of the car. How the hell do you know what he's going to do with it?

Because he says what he is going to do with it. 9 Deuce - be careful, I'm sure it must be a long fall from your high horse.

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Sargent1 said:
What a ridulous post. How many of the 93 Cobras here are stock, regardless of mileage? The guy that bought your 8900 mile car probably modded the hell out it...

I put 5000+ miles on 12,300 mile 95R in the last year. That must make me Satan...

Umm NO.... The car has been restored. I sold him and helped him find alot of the correct original parts for the car. I have seen the cobra 3 times in the last month and its still a stocker.

You have a long way to go to catch up with the mileage on your 95R. One of my 93R's turned 38K miles on Friday. I drive it to work at least 1-2 times a week and take it racing when I have time off from work. So yes I believe in driving and enjoying my cars. But like I said, I do draw a line when it comes to car that has been stored correctly for so many years. I would not go mod this car after it has managed to make it 13+ years and only see 1300 miles... to me that is the same as taking my other 93R that only has accumulated 1900 miles (most by me) and decide to drive it everyday and mod the hell out of it.

There are plenty of high mileage, modded, salvage cobras to build into a track whore and daily driver. The reason '93 Cobra bring so much is partly due to the fact that not too many low mileage examples still exist. I'd bet 85% of them have been driven, heavily modded, stolen/stripped or wrecked. That leaves only a very small # of nice clean low mile examples.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
9 duece gt: Barrett Jackson IMO has done nothing but help build/restore the collector car market. I see tons of young guys every day that are now taking an interest in american muscle cars again. This market in the youth sector was dead up until the last year. These guys were all driving around in riced out Hondas etc and have now seen the light of what a cool car to own is in america.

The cars being sold on B/J are high end cars that were out of the reach of most average joes long before B/J was televised. B/J auctions have been in business over 20 years so they did not just ruin the market all of the sudden. Plus there are many other collector auctions such as Mecum, Kruse, R/M that are also selling collector cars every weekend.

These auctions are not driving up prices all by themselves. The MARKET (supply vs. demand) is the cause of rising prices. Same thing happened in the mid-late '80s when muscle cars first came on strong. A strong muscle car market is good for many reason... resto parts become availble, more cars are "saved" , etc etc.

There are still muscle cars that can be bought, built, collected with an average joes income. I buy and sell these cars on a daily basis, they certainly do still exist.

I could go on and on, but I'm tired LOL.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
Sounds like some one is jealous of not owning a collectible car and wants to mod any thing.

Have you looked into Honda's and those large fart cans on them they call exhaust ?

svtdriven

Established Member
"Sounds like some one is jealous of not owning a collectible car and wants to mod any thing.

Have you looked into Honda's and those large fart cans on them they call exhaust ?"
-badboyspack

heyyy, I like hondas too!

what makes that teal 93 still so valuable is the condition of the interior and the perfect original paint. I have a high mile 93 cobra, with mods, dents, dings, scuffs, and a second coat of paint. the value is nearly gone. If I could get that 1300 mile one, I would pull the original cobra parts needed off of my black one to restore that one to its original condition.

I saw two 69 camaros go up on barrett/jackson. one rotisserie concours restoration, no miles - sold for $100k
one original car, original paint, low mileage car - sold for $200k

if all you want to do is beat the crap out of it, why spend 5k on a rolling shell when you could buy a complete and modded lx or gt for the same money?

you could say the same thing about me though, I spent 8k on the black 93 when I could have got the same car performance wise in a lx or gt for 4-5k. I justified it in the looks dept. the cobra bodykit woud have cost almost the difference in what I was looking for. besides, i baby my beater!

stangbear427

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
Sounds like some one is jealous of not owning a collectible car and wants to mod any thing.

Have you looked into Honda's and those large fart cans on them they call exhaust ?
That's a little unfair. For the most part I disagree with his (on topic) opinion, but in his defense I feel obliged to mention that 9 deuce GT has one of the nicest and most tastfully modified/solid performance GT's I know of. With the money he has in it he could very easily have owned a Cobra, and associating him with bastardized econocrap is taking it a bit far. Don't get me wrong, I can almost feel his [extreme?] perspective aimed directly at me; but that doesn't change his standing as a Mustang owner. I think you've misjudged him a bit- go see out his car before making this call. Just my $.02

edit:
speaking of which... deuce, man, you've been in the forums for too many years to not have a friggin' web page up for your car yet. C'mon dude!:burnout:

Last edited:

9 deuce gt

Established Member
This has been taken way out of proportion. What I was saying was that we on this board have no right to call the MM&FF editor a moron for buying a car and moddifying it to meet his specs, simply because we would do it differently. He has paid for the car and he can make his own decisions. Who are we to say what is right for this Cobra? Basically, if this guy mods the car and enjoys it, and racks up 30,000 miles in 5 years, how is this a bad thing? He can at any time swap everything back to original and you and I would never know the difference. Is he supposed to leave it in it's bubble to rot? That makes no sense. If that's the case, every Cobra owner should stop driving their car and find a museum to store it in. That's where the hypocrtie comment came into play. If he should be called an idiot for driving and enjoying his car, so should all of you Cobra owners. How is that fair?

Maybe some of you did not see the other posts that I made in this thread:

Post #26 "Now with that being said, if you want to own a stock original car and enjoy it for what it was from the factory, that's fine. But for any of us to say what another guy should do with his money or car, that's rediculous."

I really had to laugh at the "jealous" comment. That was really kindergarden stuff, but funny.

Anyway, where can I get the latest fart can?

Last edited:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:

As stated above, 9 deuce has nothing to be jealous about.

Users who are viewing this thread