MM Firewall Adjuster Screw

macuser27

Established Member
Hello everybody,

I jumped on a deal earlier today for a MM Clutch Quadrant and Firewall Adjuster for $40. However, the kit is missing hardware - washers that go with the quadrant and the screw that holds the adjuster to the firewall.

IMG_2787_zpsejsq9lxh.jpg

Since, I am also putting together a "DIY Clutch Freeplay Kit" seen HERE, I figure I'll order the washers and screw needed with the spring and bushing for the freeplay kit.

My question is regarding the screw for the firewall adjuster. Can I reuse the stock screw holding the OEM cable to the firewall? Or do I have to use a different (longer?) screw? The MM instructions states the screw as being, "5/8" Hex Washer Head" but did not list the length.

Thanks for the help!

macuser27

Established Member
Well, I got impatient and went to Lowe's and got some washers. They did not have the spring locally so I am skipping the free play kit for now.

Although MM's instructions listed the washer size as 7/16", the hole was just a tad too small to go over the quadrant shaft. I tried 12mm and it fits perfectly. Lowe's part number is 138426.

The plastic firewall mount on the OEM cable was such a pain to remove, but after fighting it for about 10-15 minutes, I got it off and the rest of the install went smooth. Good thing that I am slim (6ft, 165lbs) enough to fit under the dash without removing the seat. Anyone taller and/or bigger will have a hard time working under there.

I reused the screw holding the OEM cable with the firewall adjuster. Also, I did not have to go under the car at all to release the clutch cable from the clutch fork. I just followed MM's instructions, "Lift up on the clutch pedal all the way. This releases the self adjusting mechanism. Push the top of the quadrant towards the firewall then disconnect the cable from the quadrant."

Pedal feel is AMAZING! The intermittent squeaking from the TOB is gone! I guess the plastic quadrant wasn't up to the task anymore.

Definitely worth the $80 that MM wants for the quadrant and adjuster. However, I only spent $40 on used parts, and $1 on the washers.

Users who are viewing this thread