MM Full Length SFC install

xneric

RickyRacer
Established Member
I have some MM Full Length SFC's on order and a good welder at a muffler shop lined up for the install. He hasn't seen the car, but is worried about setting the carpeting on fire. Is it necessary to remove the carpeting for the install? Also what is the best way to protect the SFC's from rusting? Paint? Undercoat? Something else? Thanks. Eric

NewGuy

When I had mine installed, we did not take the carpet out. We were a little concerned about it but all ended up just fine. We also sprayed everthing up with an undercoating.

blk96SVT

Established Member
I too have full lengths coming soon and was wondering about what type of undercoating and where I can purchase some. I ordered the sfc's with the powdercoat black, but after they grind it down and weld it, what should I put on to cover it from the elements?

Rev Happy

Established Member
I have the MM full length subs on my 96 Cobra and we did not take the carpet out for the install... If the carpet ends up catching on fire, then the installer needs to go back to Welding 101... I'm runnnig the black powdercoated subs and we just ended up using black spray paint (blends in nice with the powdercoat) on the small weld areas and there has been no rust at all...(2 + years) I live in Southern California btw though so we dont see much salt or rain down here...lol

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
I welded one of my subs in here at work but due to time and access constraints took my car to an exhaust shop for the other one. The guy that owns the shop is a friend of a friend and said he would allow me to help and keep an eye on the install. When I welded the driverside sub in I was very careful with how hot I left the frame rail get. I would only do short welds and kept alternating areas. However the guy that welded the other sub in just burned away. I kept checking the floor board temps around the frame rails and everything was fine. You won't have any worries with catching the carpet on fire.

I did the black powder coated subs and used Rustoleum black brush on paint to cover up the welds.

Darin

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
best bet is if you have an under coating already on the car is to remove all ove it where you will be welding. the material they use catches on fire very easy. but the carpet is not a problem.

as for rusting. we use a rustoleum black paint.

it is best to put these one on a 4 post lift. a 2 post allows the car to flex a little bit.

xneric

RickyRacer
Established Member
Thanks guys. I didn't think we had to worry about the carpeting, but wanted to check just in case. Yes, I'm aware that the car needs to be on a drive on lift. I'll probably use paint and undercoat to protect them from rust. Eric

Users who are viewing this thread