MM IRS Bushings - material change?

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I just got my MM IRS bushings a few days ago, and noticed they are black. Others I have seen, and the ones pictured on their web site are red. Anyone know if they've changed the material? I wondered if they were using a polygraphite material now?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I thought it was graphite impregnated polyurethane material before. That is what all of there other bushings are. It provides lubrication and prevents squeaks.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
toofast - I believe I was told by someone at MM that Prothane makes the bushings for them, and here is what I saw on Prothane's web site.

What does graphite do? Does PROTHANE have it as well?
Graphite is a soft, black hexagonally crystallized allotrope of carbon. It is used as a lubricant, pencil lead and in paint. In urethane bushings it is an attempt to serve as a lubricant to reduce friction between the pivoting areas. Since it is mixed into the bushing during the initial casting process, only the graphite that is on the surface can perform any job of a dry lubricant, and this only applies to surfaces that have been machined, not cast. Most all bushings, or at least those that move dynamically, require a very low coefficient of friction in order to eliminate heat build up. Graphite alone will not provide enough lubrication, so grease is also required. PROTHANE™ does not use graphite or any other types of fillers as these can detract from the chemical bond of the molecules that are the strength of urethane itself.

??

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
You are correct the other bushings they sell are Prothane and come in sealed packages that say so. The IRS bushings just came in a box so I don't know if they are made by the same company, but would expect they were. I thought they did have graphite and grease, but according to that they don't.

Mine don't make noises so what every they are doing works.

jordanvraptor

Established Member
Maybe they changed the color so Ford cannot easily tell you have changed them. That way they cannot use it as an excuse to void part of your warranty. Yes, I know its a stretch, but you never know with Ford.......

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Yeah, I just checked and I happened to save the e-mail I got from them. The said they do have Prothane make them for them. This was from several months ago, however, so I was concerned that the material may have changed. The ones I got did come with the grease. I just sent them another e-mail, so I'll find out. Thanks for your reply, toofast.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
jordan - yeah, I suppose they could make them what ever color they want, although I don't know if they'd do so for warranty reasons. But hey...who knows.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
They keep changing the colors they paint other stuff so why should the bushings be different. My LCAs are black which I am happy for, but in the pictures I have seen yellow and red versions.

coleman

Established Member
i just got my set last week from MM & the IRS bushings are red.
maybe i just missed out on the color/material change :shrug:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Mine are red too, figures they would change them after I get them in:kaboom:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Someone get a hold of MM for a definitive answer, please!

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
OK guys. Here's the answer from Matt at MM. The bushings are the same material with the same specs...just not dyed red.
-----------------------------------------------------------
We have primarily used Red bushings because they tend to show up better for
the advertisement photographs. We continue to have Prothane manufacture them
for us. The urethane material is still the exact same durometer, etc. We
wanted to get the product to market and did not want to wait any longer for
red dye, so we went with black to get the parts to our customers quicker.
The bushings are still the same, just a difference in color.

Matt
Maximum Motorsports, Inc.
------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I told him I preferred the black, anyway. Not that my opinion would necessarily change anything, but who knows... maybe they won't bother with the red dye anymore if people keep saying they prefer the black.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread