MMR 900 Shortblock....yes or no

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
So i have some extra cash and im thinkin about pullin the trigger on a MMR 900 Shortblock. My car is currentlly boosted and only at 6psi i have a fear everytime i mash the gas im gonna blow it up. It runs great but i dont wanna risk blowin the motor.

my options are....

MMR 900 (will eventually port and polish a set of 03 heads to go along with)

or

built 8.8 and Ported Short runner

or

8 rib setup and Bruces Bushing kit

its such a hard choice

Last edited:

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
my car has roughly 84K on the clock and i just dont wanna risk it....i mean i dont drive the car hard but id rather be safe than sorry

THEhamBone

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have the MMR 950 and I love it.. Only things to avoid is the cryo treated oil pumps.. make sure you get a billet gear oil pump. The MMR Hurricane is an excellent choice, also the stock 03 04 cobra pump. If you can, you should wait until black Friday this year.. they were selling their shortblocks DIRT cheap on black Friday last year. I think it was like $800 cheaper on black friday.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
MMR 900 here.

roughly 2500-3000 EXTREMELY hard miles. runs like a champ. My experiences with MMR throughout the process have been top notch.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i have the 900 with all the options basically. unfortunately i'm having some issues with mine. not saying it's their fault yet since i haven't opened it up, but i do know that their "1 year warranty" does not cover anything. they've still been cool about talking with me, and i do know that whatever it is they're going to work with me on it.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
i have the 900 with all the options basically. unfortunately i'm having some issues with mine. not saying it's their fault yet since i haven't opened it up, but i do know that their "1 year warranty" does not cover anything. they've still been cool about talking with me, and i do know that whatever it is they're going to work with me on it.

what issues are you having?

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
I bought my motor from them back in 2007. That is when Chris still worked there. The customer service was very good and anytime I called with questions they always were happy to help. Since, I know Chris doesn't work there anymore (he was the main person I dealt with there) and I have heard that their quality has decreased. I don't know if they have different builders and they are cutting costs or what, but I have heard from several people that they are not what they used to be.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
what issues are you having?
umm, well basically it smokes enough to make you literally throw up. it goes through abot a quart of oil in about 10 mins of just idling...not exagerating btw. so if it's bottom end i'm thinking broken ring or hole in the piston. there's still a possibility of it being like a cracked head or something so we'll see. if it is bottom end it's most definitely the local tuner's fault that i tried out since i didn't want to make the 4 hour drive to kurgan again. that was an expensive lesson to learn....

I bought my motor from them back in 2007. That is when Chris still worked there. The customer service was very good and anytime I called with questions they always were happy to help. Since, I know Chris doesn't work there anymore (he was the main person I dealt with there) and I have heard that their quality has decreased. I don't know if they have different builders and they are cutting costs or what, but I have heard from several people that they are not what they used to be.
you know what's funny, the few weeks leading up to ordering mine i always talked to Chris. but by the time mine was ordered there was always someone else answering, and some new guy that didn't seem to know much. i mean i know he was new, but general motor knowledge seemed lacking even...

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
umm, well basically it smokes enough to make you literally throw up. it goes through abot a quart of oil in about 10 mins of just idling...not exagerating btw. so if it's bottom end i'm thinking broken ring or hole in the piston. there's still a possibility of it being like a cracked head or something so we'll see. if it is bottom end it's most definitely the local tuner's fault that i tried out since i didn't want to make the 4 hour drive to kurgan again. that was an expensive lesson to learn....

you know what's funny, the few weeks leading up to ordering mine i always talked to Chris. but by the time mine was ordered there was always someone else answering, and some new guy that didn't seem to know much. i mean i know he was new, but general motor knowledge seemed lacking even...

well I wish you the best...sorry to hear that.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
thanks man...i actually just talked with them today. they're being real cool about it and sounds like they're gonna give me a break on whatever parts i get(i'm gonna do turbo cams and ported heads while i have it apart again) and knock off a bunch of labor. so all in all not bad, mainly just a hassle. thank goodness for crappy weather that i wouldn't be driving my car in anyway lol.

so, so far i'd still give MMR a thumbs up. whatever messed up on mine was the fault of the idiot local tuner(not Kurgan!!). i'll be pulling the driver side head this weekend and then i'll know what's up. the #8 plug was COVERED in wet oil before i pulled the motor back out, so i know it's on that side...

Last edited:

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
thanks man...i actually just talked with them today. they're being real cool about it and sounds like they're gonna give me a break on whatever parts i get(i'm gonna do turbo cams and ported heads while i have it apart again) and knock off a bunch of labor. so all in all not bad, mainly just a hassle. thank goodness for crappy weather that i wouldn't be driving my car in anyway lol.

so, so far i'd still give MMR a thumbs up. whatever messed up on mine was the fault of the idiot local tuner(not Kurgan!!). i'll be pulling the driver side head this weekend and then i'll know what's up. the #8 plug was COVERED in wet oil before i pulled the motor back out, so i know it's on that side...

you better drive up to see me next time LOL!

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
The mmr900 is a badass short block for the price. Im ordering mine here soon a long with my turbo kit...Cant wait..****in car has been down for 10 months again

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member

that sucks man. goodluck with the rebuild!

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I have a MMR 900 in my garage right now going back into my car. Has every option, plus I sprung for a Melling billet oil pump. My dealings with them so far have been excellent. We'll see how the motor runs when I get it back in the car...

Not to derail the thread, but how were your experiences with Kurgan? I've got a MMR 900 in my garage right now going back in my car with ported B heads, a short-runner and a Hellion 76mm and was considering having him tune the car when its done. He's only about 2 hours from my place. Besides his reputation, I don't know where else around here I would trust taking the car...

Sorry to hear about your issues. I saw you were trying to sell the car. Good luck with it!

Users who are viewing this thread