Mobil 0w-20

crabby

got halfshafts?
Established Member
Ford recommends this oil as a replacement for the recommended 5w-20 is anyone using it and what are your comments on it

thanks

:beer:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
0W-30 and 0W-40 are both superior choices for your supercharged application...

KDog

Established Member
Originally posted by crabbys_cobra
Ford recommends this oil as a replacement for the recommended 5w-20 is anyone using it and what are your comments on it

thanks

OK, I'm confused. :)

They recommened that instead of the recommended 5w-20? Which one is recommended?! hehe.

Do you mean if you use a Mobil 1 product, they recommend 0w-20, and if you use non-synthetic use 5w-20?

2k3cobra

Established Member
I too just saw the Mobil 1 0w-20 fully synthetic at the auto parts store. I'm switching when the next change is due.

crabby

got halfshafts?
Established Member
Re: Re: Mobil 0w-20

Originally posted by KDog
OK, I'm confused. :)

They recommened that instead of the recommended 5w-20? Which one is recommended?! hehe.

Do you mean if you use a Mobil 1 product, they recommend 0w-20, and if you use non-synthetic use 5w-20?

No what I mean is mobil recommends it for ford 5w-20 applications not ford recommending it

Cobra'03

Established Member
Mobil's 0w20 is on the low side of viscosity specs for this grade class - which is too low to begin with in my opinion. I previously posted on why Ford recommends 5w20, and why they say "the engine is not designed for it". One is a flat out lie, the other takes a perspective that does not look out for the owner, but for the Green party.

A 5w20 usually specs in the 8.6/48.0 centistokes range for low and hi temp viscosity. Mobil 0w20 specs at 8.4/43.0 - that is five points lower in the high temp range. There is little margin of safety in a high temp, high stress enigne like ours.

I prefer vis closer to 60 cST in the 100degC range - that is closer to a 30wt spec - which is why i use Amsoil 0w30. I would prefer to use Pennzoil 5w30 or 10w30 over any 0w20. I want to see the long term engineering studies in real-world before I expose my engine to sewing machine oils.

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
This may be a stupid question, but what does the 5...w...and 20 stand for?

Cobra'03

Established Member
It is the API standard oil viscosity classification. 5 represents the oil's base viscosity, and its vis at low temps - "W" inidcates that the oil acts like a 5 weight oil in the cold, or "winter". It really is linked to a specific temperature though. The 20 reprsents its performance, or resistance to thinning excessively, at higher temps. So a 20 weight means that it thins at a rate consistent with an oil of 20 weight.

Synoils usually do not have polymeric thickeners to have a useful vis range - multi-grade dino oils do - they really are 5 weight oils that have liquid plastics in the additives package that thicken as temps rise, so the oil does not really thin out when it is hot, as it would were it not fortified.

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
So, a 0w20 would be a good warm weather oil but a not so good cols weather oil; a 10w30 and 5w20 would be a good "all around" oil, and a 0w40 would be a good hot weather oil? Did I just oversimplify this???

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Oil viscosity question.

Originally posted by Cobra'03
Mobil's 0w20 is on the low side of viscosity specs for this grade class - which is too low to begin with in my opinion. I previously posted on why Ford recommends 5w20, and why they say "the engine is not designed for it". One is a flat out lie, the other takes a perspective that does not look out for the owner, but for the Green party.

A 5w20 usually specs in the 8.6/48.0 centistokes range for low and hi temp viscosity. Mobil 0w20 specs at 8.4/43.0 - that is five points lower in the high temp range. There is little margin of safety in a high temp, high stress enigne like ours.

I prefer vis closer to 60 cST in the 100degC range - that is closer to a 30wt spec - which is why i use Amsoil 0w30. I would prefer to use Pennzoil 5w30 or 10w30 over any 0w20. I want to see the long term engineering studies in real-world before I expose my engine to sewing machine oils.

I've not yet bought the oil for my '03. Being an information gatherer makes me hunger for more and more info 'til I do what I wanted in the first place.

The question is 0w-30 oil, or 5w-20 (Ford recommended). I've read stuff (on Amsoil's site, admittedly) that 5w-20 is a scam. What do y'all think?

Thanks Cobra'03, you answered a question 1 month before I got the car, and 5 months before I asked it. (Probably 2 months before I need the answer!) Hah! You guys can't say "Do a g'dang search you cretin!" (this time, anyway.)

pny_xtc

Established Member
I work at a Lincoln/Mercury store, and according to the press release on 5W20 the only legitimate reason they switched from 5W30 is the increase in fuel economy. I wonder what a crock that is??? How much better can it be?

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I read something on that last night, at the Amsoil site, recommended by someone here, wait, I'll look it up.

OK, here it is, the guy is Black Cobra, and he's why I started questioning all this, it's Cobra '03 that's ended it. (I kinda wanted the 0w-30 anyway...)

For starters, the owners manual for my '98 says to use 5W-30. From what I've read, Ford started requiring the 5W-20 oil in 2001. Both are 5-weight base oil. The viscosity of the 5W-20 at 212 degrees meets the 20-weight characteristics rather than the heavier 30-weight. The lighter weight at temperature offers less drag on moving parts resulting in the engine using a tiny bit less fuel. The question still remains, at temperature, what is a better weight oil for our engines? 20-weight or 30-weight?

I came across a website of an Independent AMSOIL Dealer's page that says that the 5W-20 oil is just a scam. "They are NOT looking out for the customers best interest. They are looking out for their best interest which ultimately results in more billions of dollars profit for them while all you end up with is less protection for your engine and an engine which will wearout sooner. Read on to learn the TRUTH behind 5W-20 and beware because more OEM's will be doing the same thing in the years to come."

Read what they have to say.
Honda & Ford's SAE 5W-20 Scam

Then I found where AMSIOL has there very own 5W-20. But it's synthetic.
AMSOIL 5W-20 Synthetic

Neo Synthetic oils and lubricants, say that their "ARCTOL" 5W-20 oil was developed especially as an arctic climate oil for use in extremely low temperature environments where even SAE 5W-30 synthetic oil may not be fluid enough for easy starting.
Neo "ARCTOL" 5W-20 Synthetic

I'll have to do some more looking....

Last edited:

crabby

got halfshafts?
Established Member
I did the 0w-20 oil change and the car is running great Mobil states all over each can how its meant to replace the 5w-20 ford recommended oil service. Heres a quote directly from Mobil's website;

5W-20 All temps
Although this viscosity is not available in Mobil 1®, you can use Mobil 1® with SuperSyn™ 0W-20 with confidence. 5W-20 is available in Mobil Drive Clean Oil™. It is always wise to check with your vehicle's manufacturer for viscosity grade recommendations.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I bought a case of 0w-30 today. In my way of thinking, a supercharged motor needs as much bottom end protection as possible. Thanks Cobra'03 for your cogent responses.

Cobra'03

Established Member
No problemo - I wish I were cogent enough to be cogent enough to appreciate your kind words.

P.S.

OT: Just bought a Mossberg 9 shot M590, a Kimber Ultra Carry II in SS, and an S&W 686 4" SS. Got my concealed carry permit too. Anyone else like fine weapons? Now I can keep the Kimber in my glove box in case Osama or some other fool tries to mess with me and mine. Semper Fi!

Pure Vennom

Established Member
GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kimber, HK P7M13, Glocks? Several...... also Orginal COLT M16A1...... CCW Floridia Permit. Ohio.....Badge

Tactical Defence Institute, Lethal Force Institute, Gun Site Academy, Range Master, Trident, Four Killer Tactical, NRA Instructor

Congrats on the new toys.

Last edited:

Karibian

Established Member
MI, is a concealed weapon state as well. You know in case someone decides to welch. HS Armor 9mm.

Users who are viewing this thread