mobil1 0w-40

TRDon

Established Member
Its hard to get a grasp on what oil to run nowadays. I was using ub's recommended amsoil atm 10-30 in my boss for light use, no tracking, no drag, pleasure drivin grocery gettin 2000 miles a year car. I saw that amsoil has a 0-40 and he now recommends that for my use. I run mobil1 in everything else i have, from cars to lawnmower. Its cheap, seems good, can get it for 22 a jug of 5 qts. Is there any decent data on that oil? I paid over 100 for the amsoil that is not recommended by ub last year, and am unsure of why the change in recommendation.

Any thoughts on this or the mobil oil? Ub, you still around?

FKing1

Established Member
Switched from Motorcraft 5W50 to Amsoil 5W50 based on a thread about oils showing the Ampsoil to have superior properties.
Don't remember where that thread was. I track my Boss.
Use Mobil 1 5W30 in my Corvette that I also track.

TRDon

Established Member
I read that 5-50 is overkill for a boss that isnt run on its limit and the viscosity protection may be excessive for a street driver. Thats why i was looking for lighter weights.

It says european blend probably because a lot of euro cars run 0-40 oil. That would be like mobil having 5-50 saying ford blend. Does that mean it isnt ok to use in my atv that specs 5-50. Pretty sure it is marketing bs.

noldevin

Established Member
I read that 5-50 is overkill for a boss that isnt run on its limit and the viscosity protection may be excessive for a street driver. Thats why i was looking for lighter weights.

It says european blend probably because a lot of euro cars run 0-40 oil. That would be like mobil having 5-50 saying ford blend. Does that mean it isnt ok to use in my atv that specs 5-50. Pretty sure it is marketing bs.

European blends typically have a different additive package because most of those cars have turbos.

50blackout

Established Member
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in: I was using 5w-50 Motorcraft in my track pack 2014 Mustang Gt. It has the infamous BBQ tick. When I switched over to Mobil 0w-40 the tick went away and the car ran better. I think a 50w is ludicrous for a street driven car (track is a different story). Look at the new performance pack Mustangs that are out now: 5w-20 requirement. I think you will be real happy with either Amsoil or Mobil. For me, when you can get 5 qts of 0w-40 Mobil at Walmart for $24 its a no brainer which to pick.

Users who are viewing this thread