Mod advice, $$$

codycat91

Established Member
To be honest, I really dont KNOW what I want for this car. I have fun with it, drive it on weekends, take on a couple cruises for fun with the girl, like Buffalo to NYC, Myrtle Beach, etc. I just want it more fun, and don't necessarily know what that means to me. Was gonna try and keep a secret and make it a surprise, but I'm actually really struggling with determining what I want to do. Here are some of the possibilities:

Cams - $2000 for custom grinds and installation (reasonable to reach 360+rwhp and 330+rwtq)

Possibly a PSRI with them - $$ (forgot what was quoted)

Nitrous kit - somewhere in the ballpark of $650 depending on kit and options

MM Torque arm - $650 + installation

redo FLSFC's (shitty welding by original owner) $150 + install

Eibach sway bars - $300

4pt cage with diagonal brace - about $500 + install + harnesses

Accufab TB - $360

NOTE: Since last update, I got my Innovate wideband, Glenns Performance tank, ABS delete manifold, 1/2" intake spacer, RSD, new clockspring, and I think that's about it. The stuff like cams I would have installed, and I dont have a welder or welding skills, so anything that needs to be welded I would also have installed. Also open to other suggestions, preferably to experienced DOHC guys.

Current mods to note:
-01 Cobra block
-04 Mach heads
-01 Cobra intake
-ARH longtubes and o/r X
-PHB
-3.73's and T56
-Lightweight racing seats
-UPR K Memeber with Coilovers (Koni's all 4 corners)

Last edited:

02SVTV6

Established Member
Built bottom end before u do anything. Wish I would have done that the 1st time around before a motor blows

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I would get some fr500 or similar cams, a ported short runner intake, a good set of springs and shocks(better yet would be coil overs) full length subframe connectors and call it a day.

codycat91

Established Member
I would get some fr500 or similar cams, a ported short runner intake, a good set of springs and shocks(better yet would be coil overs) full length subframe connectors and call it a day.

Edited mods in first post. I have a UPR K Member with coilovers already. As far as cams, I liked the results from the Comp 106100's, but a custom grind can do just as well while adding more power in the lower rpm's as well, at the same time keeping stock springs. I believe even the mild FR500's require springs

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I am putting in the 106100's. They aren't that hard to put in yourself just need te toold for the job.

shurur

Established Member
general consensus for 360-370 rwhp with dohc 4.6L

K&N filter (CAI)
hi flow cats (midpipe) and possibly mufflers (catback)
LT headers...or ML headers
Mach UDP with damper
106100/106060 comp cams properly degreed.
tune

comp cams are ~$1300.
All the other stuff combined including a cam degreeing kit is ~S1300.
your free labor.

not sure a PSRI helps much..but prep for a stoker/BB stroker and RPM range.

NASVT is the guy to step you through the best way to not waste $$.

Last edited:

01Silvermustang

Established Member
Cams dont really give you that much hp. Like 20-30max. Just ask pro dyno, they install and tune mustangs only and have done many camshaft installations.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Edited mods in first post. I have a UPR K Member with coilovers already. As far as cams, I liked the results from the Comp 106100's, but a custom grind can do just as well while adding more power in the lower rpm's as well, at the same time keeping stock springs. I believe even the mild FR500's require springs

In that case, I'd just do the cams and intake.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
Mods sometimes play well with other mods.. othertimes they dont... doing a intake AND cam job.. will be one of those that play well together... which is why you get nearly 50 out of it...

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Mods sometimes play well with other mods.. othertimes they dont... doing a intake AND cam job.. will be one of those that play well together... which is why you get nearly 50 out of it...

True, but the FR500s are very mild. I think they would have easily made 20-30 by themselves. And, I ran out of fuel at 5500 rpm, so there was likely more in there.

codycat91

Established Member
Decided against cams. Also, after looking at all the costs adding up for a TA install, new springs, shocks, etc, I got lucky and found a local buddy with an 03 cobra that wanted to swap to a SRA. So I ordered a FTBR bushing kit and LPW cover. As soon as they get here, it's game on for the swap

shurur

Established Member
Decided against cams. Also, after looking at all the costs adding up for a TA install, new springs, shocks, etc, I got lucky and found a local buddy with an 03 cobra that wanted to swap to a SRA. So I ordered a FTBR bushing kit and LPW cover. As soon as they get here, it's game on for the swap

Good call I say. You're better off ironing out the suspension and handling, then going for more HP. FTBR is the way to go and you can't beat the price. And I don't even have an FTBR product in my mustang!

You already have the LT anyway. The other mods I listed minus the cams, will get you 320-330 RWHP. You will maybe need to degree your oem cams to TDC though, depending on your engine build that given day; a compression check will tell you.

That HP and your suspension mods might keep you happy for some time!!

Enjoy.

I love to see when someone figures it out..good job!!

Last edited:

codycat91

Established Member
Thanks for the encouragement man. Appreciate it. And I probably impulse buy things wayyyyyy too much but one last thing I figured I should do while the IRS is out was to get an Eibach rear sway bar.

codycat91

Established Member
So excited to get the IRS in and drive and enjoy it (we'll see how long that lasts before I tear something else apart lol)

I also installed Roy's 1/2" intake spacer last night, and I only got one long bolt and 5 shorts, instead of 6 shorts. Am I missing something? Or did I just get shorted one bolt?

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Thanks for the encouragement man. Appreciate it. And I probably impulse buy things wayyyyyy too much but one last thing I figured I should do while the IRS is out was to get an Eibach rear sway bar.

yes to the swaybay..it's on my list..

Along with solid steering shaft, B8 struts, solid diffy mounts and beefier irs tierod/bumpsteer.

MM AL solid diffy mount going in this summer...I've had NIB since 2007..

But obviously I'm looking toward HP now. And my cams are degreed shite..

EDIT: don't know NADA about the spacer thing..guess we'll have to wait..

Last edited:

codycat91

Established Member
And one last thing, I'm still a NEWB about the IRS, however slowly learning. Would you mind finding/posting a link to the solid diff support and struts you mentioned? Are those gonna be any better than the factory Bilsteins in the rear? I know I need new front shocks as well, but don't know what to get. I guess Bilstein makes a shock better than the HD for around the same price?

shurur

Established Member
And one last thing, I'm still a NEWB about the IRS, however slowly learning. Would you mind finding/posting a link to the solid diff support and struts you mentioned? Are those gonna be any better than the factory Bilsteins in the rear? I know I need new front shocks as well, but don't know what to get. I guess Bilstein makes a shock better than the HD for around the same price?

For now, if you have HDs already..you should be fine for any rate up to H&R Race springs...HDs came with the 03-04 cobra IRS..so if you are getting those with the IRS, I'd say use them.

Maybe your friend would like to upgrade his cobra HD B6 front struts and sell you his HDs for cheap for now.??

My point is shocks/struts can be upgraded anytime...and are so easy to do.

The FTBR diffy mount is solid and less expensive than MM...

But if adjusting the diffy pinion angle is critical for you NOW...you will need the FTBR diffy lowering brace to be comparable to the MM kit.

The additional FTBR brace will allow you to adjust pinion angle like the solid AL MM diffy kit....if that's a big deal to you right away..

Cobra R or Bilstien B8's are a better shock than the B6 HD shock/strut.

The shocks are nearly the same in price..and the B8 struts are ~$75 each more than the HD..but the B8 handles 1000+ # springs. They are fast shocks/struts.

AJUSA.COM
Bilstein Shocks, KW Suspensions and much more: eShocks.com

The new part numbers for the 2000 cobra R shocks/struts are on the MM website
shock: 24-185974
strut: 35-045939

required reading:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/213384-irs-tech-article.html

IRS Informational Article

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread