Mod list, for your review and comment...

66GT350

Established Member
Ok guys, now that I have the snake looking somewhat sano (remember, there's never enough Zaino), time to start working on the go-fast goodies. Here is my 90% cut list of mods that I am working on. Keep in mind she is waaaaaaaaay stock ('cept for 3.73's, Eibachs and '98 rims and a new Centerforce clutch). What is the goal, you ask? 300+RWHP with daily driver dependability that I can have a little autoX or open track fun with. They are (in no particular order):

1. Cobra for the grill (on the way)
2. New plugs and wires (Autolites and new stock wires, on the workbench)
3. MM full length subs (thanks for the tip, Mike)
4. Steeda C/C plates (thanks again, Mike)
5. BFG KDW's (installed)
6. Bilstein shocks
7. Brembo drilled and slotted front rotors (on the workbench)
8. Caliper paint (red) and Hawk pads (also on the work bench)
9. Steeda Tri-Ax with MTR big ball knob (white)
10. Steeda U/D pulleys
11. Steeda T/A
12 C&L intake/MAF with K&N
11. Bassani catted X (on the way, scored a great deal from a guy on Stangnet)
12. Magnapack cat-back
13. Chip upgrade (not sure about that one yet)
14. Upgrade/replace all bushings with MM goodies.
15. Aluminum D/S
16 1" H&R rear wheel spacers
17. SS bumper inserts
18. Bright white head and fog lamps (with fog re-wire mod)
19. change out the 3.73's for 4.10's

Well, that's the list as it is right now. My tendancy with mods is to get all the parts for one specific area (like the brake stuff) and do that in one weekend. With intake/motor/exhaust mods, I usually do those one at a time so I can sneak a dyno and A/F run in between each bolt on and maintain a baseline. This is a year long process (want to have it all done by the first anniversary of her purchase). I'd be very interested to have you guys opine and suggest alternates if you like.

Neurotoxin

Established Member
I'm not quite sure you'll hit 300rwhp with these......it'll be close.

10. Steeda U/D pulleys
11. Steeda T/A
12 C&L intake/MAF with K&N
11. Bassani catted X (on the way, scored a great deal from a guy on Stangnet)
12. Magnapack cat-back
13. Chip upgrade (not sure about that one yet)

Those along with a port and polish and some nice coil packs should get you to the 300 mark np :)

If not, long tubes will get you there :)

I recommend SHM for a chip and here for stainless letters

Last edited:

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
That is a good list. Let me know how u like the Bassani Catted X and the Magnapack Catback. I am thinking about getting that catback somtime in the future. I already have the Bassani

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
if your goal is 300rwhp, then why bother with stainless steel inserts and brembo brakes and shocks? The cobra suspsion already is grand, the brakes are superb, you don't always have to have a top notch suspension/brakes to do well in autox. Seat time and a good feel for the car will do much more than any suspension/brake upgrades at this point! My suggestion is to get some cheap lowering springs like FMS c springs that will lower the center of gravity a little bit, the learn to drive it.

You will net better times if you learn to drive rather than spending a bunch of money on suspension. once you've got a feel for the car, then put a suspension on and it will drop even more dramatically.

As far as suspenion wise, I think these cars really need some rear control arms and a panhard. That would make anyone VERY confident in any turn ;)

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Tang...get the MM C/C plates...keep it all MM with the suspension.

Too bad we live so far away from each other....I could help you install ALL of that except the subframes. I may be in Dallas soon, but probably not soon enough.

Also, with the bushings, the ride will be a little squeakier and rougher....aftermarket bushings don't "squish" as well as the stockers. AND....don't get the chip till the very END. Not even sure if you need it unless you go to forced induction.

Last edited:

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
You won't need the chip but it sure will make a difference. The is a lot of room to tweak the stock settings on a stock cobra and you can take better advantage of your mods with a custom burned chip. Just make sure it is also tuned for part throttle as well as wot or you will not be happy with it
I think with these mods and a good chip (SHM?) you should have no problem reaching your goal of 300 rwhp. Just make sure you lay down a baseline between each mod so you know what it did. That way if you ever do it again you will know the nessities and what you don't need to spend the extra money on.

Nick

66GT350

Established Member
tang are you still getting my X pipe or did you find a different one??
Yessir, check your PayPal Friday, buddy. Thanks again. And thanks for all the good suggestions, fellas - I'll probably re-work the list a little based on these comments.

Good points, Doug. Forgot about the panhard bar....good call. I need new rotors anyway 'cause the current ones probably won't pass tech once they are turned, the shocks are 'cause she's got over 80K and they feel like the originals, the SS inserts are 'cause they look good...LOL. But yes, I agree I also need to get some seat time and learn how the car feels.

Mike, don't worry buddy, if you get up here there's always an extra wrench to twirl in one hand, and a cold one for the other :beer: . Lemme know when you're gonna be up here.

Last edited by a moderator:

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
I thought about doing all of those upgrades and then i just decided why buy all these little odds and ends when i can just find a supecharger and go from point a to point b in one big step. So, that's what i did. For the price of all of those parts (plus installation if you hire a mechanic to do it) will be pretty hefty. I purchased my supercharger used for less than $850. Everything was purchased separately and i saved a ton of money doing it that way. My patience has paid off and i'm just about getting ready to install it. Just my $0.02 cents.

PETSNKE

Established Member
Some "On-Track" events will require you to upgrade the stock front brake hoses to stainless steel braided lines.

The SCMC wouldn't let me run at Gingerman last year because I was running Hawk HPS pads with stock brake hoses. They claim the crimp connector on the stock hose heats up when used with aftermarket pads and can cause the line to burst. MM sells the s/s hose kit for $79.95

So you might want to consider doing this while you have your brakes apart.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread