Mod Party

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Do you plan on taking out the center setion, having some down time for the gear swap, then re-installing? Or doing everything in one day with maybe having a back up center section?

mattz03svt

Just a normal poster
Established Member
I plan on maybe pulling the center section one weekend, then re-installing the next. I am not in a hurry since I barely drive the car anyway.

mattz03svt

Just a normal poster
Established Member
right now, im open on either weekends

Thanks. I am trying to figure it out now. I figure drop the center one Saturday and reiinstall the next or when we can. It can't take more than a few hours to drop the center section.

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
probably 3 hrs with taking time and screwing around...

if you want irs frame bushings or pig bushings, those need to be ordered

did you find a shop for the gears or do you want to crack it open?

T.Bone

Established Member
I will try and be there, I have to go to my brothers sometime in May. I will find out when and let you know for sure.

BlownShift

Established Member
you redneck

yee haw!

rt_redneck3_070709_ssh.jpg

BlownShift

Established Member
Society for the Promotion of Boomhauer: It's a way of life

Frequently Asked Questions

1) What is Boomhauer?
Boomhauer is an acquired condition caused, in part, by excessive drinking of alcoholic beverages. Boomhauer has not been studied, but it is thought to affect millions of people worldwide. Boomhauer results in difficulties interacting with non-Boomhauers, memory problems, delayed reaction skills, and a heightened sense of fun and invincibleness.

2) Is Boomhauer contagious?

Again, very little research has been conducted on Boomhauer. While not highly contagious, it does appear to be infectious.

BlownShift

Established Member
i now have a job on the 8th... don't know what time yet but it will be late afternoon probably so i should be open in the morning

mattz03svt

Just a normal poster
Established Member
Sounds good. I still haven't decided yet on the date. I am thinking maybe a Saturday at noon on the 2nd incase problems arise.

mattz03svt

Just a normal poster
Established Member
Would Friday May 1st be better?

Secondly, Does anybody have a manual? That should have been my first question. I would hate to start the project and end up with a box of left over parts. A manual would have torqu specs and so forth.

Blue03

Established Member
I have set up a bunch of 8.8 gearsets. It's not a bad job if you take your time. A few tips: Use a Ford gearset if at all possible. I have had mixed luck with aftermarket sets. I had no luck with Motive gears(noisy) but good luck with Strange and Richmond. I've heard of some complaints with Richmond from others but the ones I did set up good and didn't give any trouble. The Ford sets have been the best. I have set up a bunch of rears with these and never had any problems. One other thing I have noticed is try and use the factory pinion shim wherever possible. It seems to give the best patterns with proper tooth contact. Also use a super shim pack when setting the backlash. These shims go on either side of the carrier bearings between the carrier and the housing. The cool thing about the super shims is you will never ever need a carrier shim again. These are like an oreo cookie in that they have a bunch of different size shims between 2 metal discs. By swapping the shims side by side you can adjust the backlash and preload infinitely. So if you change to another gearset later you won't need anything but the gear in most cases. Anyway, just a couple of tips.

Users who are viewing this thread