modded 03 Cobra vs. (modded??) 02 Z06

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
This was about the 4th race against a Z06. I'm driving along and I look over to the right and a blue Z06 is right next to me. The guy looks at me and gives a smile and thumbs up. He slows, I slow to about 30 MPH. I give him the jump. I pulled to his bumper and stayed there. We had to back off. Good thing cause I missed 3rd.

2nd run: We slow to about 30 again. He obviously knows his car performs best at this speed. I give him the jump again. I catch up and hit 3rd and as I start to creep up to his door he lets off. Probably cause we were starting to get close to some cars.

His tag said "*edit*"... Guy was very cool and gave several thumbs up.

I wonder if he was modded? I did put the snorkel/silencer back in last weekend. I SWEAR the car feels slower. I usually pull most of my distance on the Z06's from a 30 MPH roll.

When I only had a chip, CB, and K&N I was slowly walking a Z06. I know have the 2.80 pulley and dyno'd around 45 more HP and 75 more TQ. I certainly should have pulled him in easier?

I did notice that when we hit it I spun at 30/40 he did not. BUt I still caught up no problem. Would have taken ALL of 3rd and 4th to get past him.

I think 1st gear I could pull on him though and keep that distance and gain a car or more by the end of a 1/4. I have pulled a 12.0 @ 118 on stock tires.

Still should have pulled a little better?

I need a CAI! BAD!

WAS AWSOME!!!

:burnout:

*edited by Moderator at owner's request

Last edited:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Why did you give him the jump twice? You should have run him even on a roll.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
If I had it to do again, I would have jumped first the second time. No big deal. He could not shake me. He must have had some mods... Or something... I dont need to win to have fun... Was not a loss either... Just two guys seeing who's car had the biggest avocado's....

Wild Bill

Established Member
Nice runs .I've got the UPR CAI and I love it.You will really feel the diff.Looks good and makes it sound better.If you do just use vice grips to hold filter on install,to save yourself much time.

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
Good run, I'd say he has to me modded if your car can trap at 118 mph thats 3-4 mph over whare most Z06's trap in stock form.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> 03SLOBRA: I'd say he has to me modded if your car can trap at 118 MPH...

Agreed.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Yea, even the 02 Z06's I've seen go 11.7's trap at 116/117. Thats with DRs and CAI and 200+ runs with a pro driver. Most run, even modded ones, 12.2-12.5 at around 114-115. I think the fact that his tag said "BAD Z" is the tip.... NOS and he would have walked me, so I think I can rule that out. But is was one of the best SR's I ever had. He pulled next to me and started the match. That was awsome! Does not happen that way usually.

Yea, maybe a CAI and I can take full advantage of the 2.80 pulley and get maybe 2lbs more psi. She's definately choked up high. Dyno even showed that.

Funny thing is that even with this Steeda Tri Ax, I still missing 3rd. MIght take some getting used to.

CAI and better tires = death to the Z06 and Vipers! No more creeping by them. I want to walk em! HARD!

Last edited:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Fast03Cobra: I want to walk em! HARD!

Sounds like you want to smoke 'em =>)

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
I want to walk em! HARD!

thats what i like to hear! i raced a 02 z06 at the track and they do have some top gear in 3rd, i had him out the hole about a car then i hit 2nd and pulled a lil more then i missed 3rd!!!! i got it all on tape, he was pullin on me then, he got was loosing it a lil when he hit 3rd and i started to pull him again but once he got traction he was pullin right at the end of the 1/4, i ran a 13.3 to his 12.9 @109,

later he raced my buddy kevin (Same set up i had with slicks) and my bud went 12.4 to his 12.5.. i was soooooooo happy that he beat the big boy.

but good kill!

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
They usually get a little better traction and produce a better 60' than me. Although I did pull mostly 1.9's last time with one 1.89 on stock F1's. I beat every Vette's time that day except one Z06. The guy who lives in his car and pulls 11.7's... Still trapped 2 MPH higher AND I shifted at 5800 RPM's and pulled a 12.05... Now I have a shifter... Getting a CAI and prolly a CUSTOM tune soon. Should get around 40 more HP out of that.... Should go from 440 RWHP and 460 RWTQ to 470+ - 490+... We shall see...

FLYNLO

Established Member
Originally posted by Fast03Cobra
They usually get a little better traction and produce a better 60' than me. Although I did pull mostly 1.9's last time with one 1.89 on stock F1's. I beat every Vette's time that day except one Z06. The guy who lives in his car and pulls 11.7's... Still trapped 2 MPH higher AND I shifted at 5800 RPM's and pulled a 12.05... Now I have a shifter... Getting a CAI and prolly a CUSTOM tune soon. Should get around 40 more HP out of that.... Should go from 440 RWHP and 460 RWTQ to 470+ - 490+... We shall see...

Sweet runs. You gotta love a good street race. I still have yet to get next to an 03 Cobra on the street(actually I have twice but they were older gentlemen who were just into cruising...sound familiar:p ). I have run one at the track and is my only contest to date. Anyway, I am glad there are Cobras out there prowling the streets. Great cars and great competition. Peace.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Thanks! Those are my favorite cars to run against. They always put up a good fight. Its just amazing what GM did to that Vette. Its got to be the best Vette ever made. Looks, styling, power, weight, handling, etc...

World class car! Not too many American cars have been able to come out of the box and run an 11.9 stock! Truely amazing car! I wish the 03 Cobra was built as good. I still can not complain. The 03 Cobra is also an American icon in my book. Just not quite up to the same bar as the Z.

BADD

Established Member
I enjoyed the run in with fast03cobra. Its hard to find anyone wanting to play a little. My car is stone stock for now. I have an CAI waiting on my slackass to put it on. The great thing was I did not even have to wave him down to get him to play. he was down shifting as soon as he saw me beside him. It was great. We wiil have to meet up sometime. I also have an 85 5.0 lx that im slowly working on. Great post.

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
Well since a friend of mine owns a Z06 and we race each other on week-ends...I'll chime in..

His Mods...Filter,Exhaust,100 DRY SHOT

Me...Filter,Exhaust,Chip

On Motor from a 40mph roll to 150 I put about 2-3 Solid Cars on him..no even really a race...at 150 we shut down, even so he doesnt gain and I have a chip and have taken it to 175+

On the Shot

From a 40mph roll again to 150 he puts a good 2-3 Cars on me...again this also isnt even a race...but yeah the 100 Shot makes a big difference..but so does my Exhaust and Chip.

I can't wait to put my pullies on...and then the anticipated Big Boy Works 144...aww man I cant wait.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by BADD
I enjoyed the run in with fast03cobra. Its hard to find anyone wanting to play a little. My car is stone stock for now. I have an CAI waiting on my slackass to put it on. The great thing was I did not even have to wave him down to get him to play. he was down shifting as soon as he saw me beside him. It was great. We wiil have to meet up sometime. I also have an 85 5.0 lx that im slowly working on. Great post.

WOW! So it was you... Great race!!! That was awsome! Thats the 2nd race against a Z06 on Rt 50 for me. I spanked the other guy... Well, had a MUCH easier time than with you... Geesh that's a fast car you got!

You're right, its hard to get any decent runs around here. I knew the second I saw the 405HP badge on the side and the "thumbs up" you would go... A man buys a Z06 cause he appreciates a car and spends the extra money becuase he wants more POWER. What good is all that power if you cant use it once in a while?

I emailed and PM'd you. Lets try it again some time? Go down further on 50 or one of those back roads.

I might go to MIR soon with some friends who have some FAST cars too (10 second Lightning - so he says, and a BPU Supra). You should go. Lots of Z06's usually show up.

L8R

:) :) :) :)

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
BTW: I would love to get a ride in a Z06. Never been in one. Trade you for a ride in an 03 Cobra?

Users who are viewing this thread