MODDED LS1 Z28 vs MODDED 03 COBRA - Interesting Outcome

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
I just road raced a 2001 LS1 Z28. We went at it about 7-8 times from various speeds. Mostly from 10,20, 30, 40 MPH rolls.

About my car (03 Cobra): Dyno'd at 440 RWHP on a 94 F day. It was 54 tonight. I have a Diablo chip, 3" Cat Back, and a 2.8 Blower pulley, K&N of course. Stock I was a 13.0 @ 109.5 1/4 car. Modded I pulled a 12.0 @ 118 on stock F1's (70 F). My car is capable of a 11.5 @ 120 on slicks.

The 03 Cobra never lost any of the races tonight. BUT, the guy hung with me better than ANY other Z28 I've raced. Most of the others simply are not even a race, but a slaughter! This guy gave me as much trouble as a 02 Z06. Well maybe not THAT much, but DAMN CLOSE!

From 10-30 MPH rolls when I was in 1st I would gain MOST of my distance. From 2nd I would still pull, but not as much. AS I worked through the gears (usually letting off shortly after hitting 3rd - FEAR), I would gain a little more in each gear. But NOT MUCH! This guy was AT MY DOOR a couple of times, staying there, and I STRUGGLED to get away... He could NEVER pull ahead, and I think given enough time I would have pulled a few cars (like maybe 3). Again most of my distance is gained 0-60. After that its a SLIGHT walk at best.

We stopped and chatted.

HIS CAR: 2001 Orange Z28 LS1. He said basically EVERY bolt-on you can buy. Headers, exhaust, etc... He did not give me a list, but mentioned headers and exhaust, and "every bolt-on"...

It was AMAZING to me that you can buy an inexpensive Z28 and make the thing pretty darn close to the Z06. WOW! Talk about your BANG FOR THE BUCK!

I was impressed.

I usually KILL the Z's, and beat the C5's with ease. Beat the Z06's but not by much. My timeslips are equal to MANY 2nd Generation Viper GTS's...

Not sure if he was telling me everything, but he was FAST and it was FUN!!!

KUDO'S/ACCOLADES TO THE LS1's!!!

:thumbsup:

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
Yeah, properly tuned, you can't shake a stick at the LS-1 motor. I don't know if you have Car and Driver or not, but they ran an article on supercars. Guess which one came out first? A corvette.

LS1 Guy

Established Member
Many of the LS1 cars come out different from the factory. Some are faster than others it seems. Don't know why but one camaro performs different than another. He might have been telling the truth but who knows. I have bolt ons incl. headers and was pulled pretty good by an O3 with the same mods and HP you have. I hung in when I hit third and stayed at his bumper that's about it. I had a good jump from 2nd from a roll also. It was very unusual for me to get pulled like that when I get a good jump. He might of had his heads ported and polished. You never know.

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
Ya, the last time I was at our track for the "Friday Night Street Racing" the only car to keep up with me was a Z28 farm boy car. Looked like hell but damn he was fast... launched with me and stayed with me untill about 5000 RPM in 2nd. Scared me, I thought a crap looking rust bucket was going to humiliate me. Nice job, he said that he had spent 2000 on mods, but got the car for free from some relative. I told him "Nice race" and to get his tranny fixed (his clutch was stinking) and I'd race him again next time.

Leathl_WS6

Established Member
I think its safe to say he had more done than he was saying. maybe heads and a cam but most likely a 100 shot of the giggle juice. I've yet to see a bolt on ls1 make that kinde of power.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
He said he "ALL" the bolt-ons and was going with heads and cam soon. No mention of juice.

Funny thing that I remember. The first 2-3 times we went at it, I seemed to pull him REAL EASY. Like most other Z's... Then the last several times he seemes to hang with me. Like his car all of the sudden got A LOT faster.... Hmmmmmmm... Never really thought about it. BUt I *think* thats how a sprayed car acts?

Dont matta! Still fun as hell! AND I STILL GOT HIM!

Raced a 2002 M3 the other day from a stop light. I was RIGHT behind him. I KILLED him while spinning all through 1st, almost losing it in 2nd from spin (lil sideways, ay carrumba!)....

Users who are viewing this thread