modding a 5.0

Green92notch

Established Member
ohkay i MIGHT be getting 94 vert sometime soon, and i wanna put about 300 hp at the wheels but im wondering how much it will cost and whats the best way to go? any estimates or easiest ways to go?

thanks

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
well im a veteran with 5.0's lol. The quickest and cheapest way to get 300rwhp is to by the trick flow top end kit from summit. 2200 bucks and comes with everything you need. That kit, and doing headers and offroad mid pipe will get yo 300 rwhp on the dot

Ace5Oh

Established Member
Also sorry to bud in.

I have a opportunity to buy a

gt40 top/bottom intake manifold. & will get gt40p heads in the future as well.

Is that a good intake manifold to go with? I feel like I won't get a lot of power out of it
since its a ford part and not made for high performance.

Sorry for jumping in here.

tooquick

Established Member
well im a veteran with 5.0's lol. The quickest and cheapest way to get 300rwhp is to by the trick flow top end kit from summit. 2200 bucks and comes with everything you need. That kit, and doing headers and offroad mid pipe will get yo 300 rwhp on the dot

+1:thumbsup:

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
lazy way to go 100 shot N2O, Better off doing the trick flow thing and then 100 shot.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member

BINGO. Quick & Easy right there. A good H/C/I combo on a 5.0 will get you 300rwhp solid. I used the TFS1 cam with AFR 165 heads & home-ported Cobra intake and it did the trick for me. But I'll be honest, if I had it to do all over again, I'd just do exactly what ShortThrow50 said... make one phone call to Summit & get the Trick Flow top end kit. The whole Trick Flow vs. AFR thing has been beat to death, and they are both very comparable to each other. I was happy with my AFR's, but I have friends who are happy with their TFS's... and we all ran comparable #'s. But you can't beat the TFS kit from Summit because it's cheap, it's already matched up together in one package, it's quality stuff, and Summit is very good to deal with. You'll have your parts in NO time. You just can't beat the price of that Trick Flow stuff.

Now don't forget to have all the supporting items (injectors, maf, exhaust, pullies, etc.).

Also sorry to bud in.

I have a opportunity to buy a

gt40 top/bottom intake manifold. & will get gt40p heads in the future as well.

Is that a good intake manifold to go with? I feel like I won't get a lot of power out of it
since its a ford part and not made for high performance.

Sorry for jumping in here.

kinda depends on what you're looking for. Good aluminum heads like TFS, Edelbrock, & AFR will ALWAYS make more power than the GT-40/GT-40P heads; but you can make good power with them. Same with the intakes... TFS, etc., will make more power than the Cobra/GT-40 intakes; but don't let people tell you they won't make power either. Before I had the AFR/cammed/ported-Cobra intake combo, I had a GT-40/Cobra/stock cam combo. While it won't produce the peak #'s or performe at the track like the aluminum-headed stuff will, the Ford/GT-40 stuff makes for a GREAT DRIVING combo. You will see lots of low end power & torque. It will be a blast to drive and have great throttle response, and is a great bang for the buck. But you'll see it run out of breath on the top end compared to the guys with good aluminum heads. If your car won't see the track much and you just want some great daily driver grunt, the GT-40 stuff is hard to beat for the $.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
BINGO. Quick & Easy right there. A good H/C/I combo on a 5.0 will get you 300rwhp solid. I used the TFS1 cam with AFR 165 heads & home-ported Cobra intake and it did the trick for me. But I'll be honest, if I had it to do all over again, I'd just do exactly what ShortThrow50 said... make one phone call to Summit & get the Trick Flow top end kit. The whole Trick Flow vs. AFR thing has been beat to death, and they are both very comparable to each other. I was happy with my AFR's, but I have friends who are happy with their TFS's... and we all ran comparable #'s. But you can't beat the TFS kit from Summit because it's cheap, it's already matched up together in one package, it's quality stuff, and Summit is very good to deal with. You'll have your parts in NO time. You just can't beat the price of that Trick Flow stuff.

Now don't forget to have all the supporting items (injectors, maf, exhaust, pullies, etc.).

I had a valve retainer pop off when adjusting the valves. Called summit and they didnt ask any questions. they just sent me what i needed overnight, free of charge and apologized to me. Unbeleivable customer service

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
If I could do my 5.0 Cobra again I would have just saved up for a blower. Too many issues with having the car cammed and it just caused a lot of problems for me. Yea the thing sounds like a beast when im at a stoplight and it hauls like a freight train when I get on it but the loss of driveability from putting the cam in it pretty much made me lose interest in the car. Thats just my $0.02 though. (keep in mind it was my daily driver for 2 years with the cam in it, so it got kinda old)

Last edited:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
blower is less driveability. H/C/I should have been just as good driveability as stock. You dont even have to get a tune.
heres video with no tune what soever right after my install before i put a vortech on top of it. In my sig is video of My car with the h/c/i and the s-trim blower

Idle at first start
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dt6J__O4w4"]YouTube - Trcick flow H/C/I 5.0 mustang[/ame]

first cruise
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GypqmVoPPLM"]YouTube - My 93 LX right after my trickflow H/C/I and Tko 600 install[/ame]

Last edited:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
blower is less driveability. H/C/I should have been just as good driveability as stock. You dont even have to get a tune.
heres video with no tune what soever right after my install before i put a vortech on top of it. In my sig is video of My car with the h/c/i and the s-trim blower

well I did the E-Cam which is a hit-or-miss with the 94-95 computer. For me it was pretty much a miss. Its been on the dyno 3 times and no one can get it running right. Its been an almost constant headache ever since I put it in.:bash:

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
well I did the E-Cam which is a hit-or-miss with the 94-95 computer. For me it was pretty much a miss. Its been on the dyno 3 times and no one can get it running right. Its been an almost constant headache ever since I put it in.:bash:

Have you tried using that Pro-M kit that allows you to install a Fox Body A9L ecu into your SN95? I've seen several occasions where that 94/95 ecu didn't take well to cams.

Adower

Established Member
First of all make sure you car has these. Welded or reinforced torque boxes, full length subrames.

Green92notch

Established Member
First of all make sure you car has these. Welded or reinforced torque boxes, full length subrames.

ya it will get that stuff first for sure

thanks guys for the help.

ill let you know if i get the car im going to look at it today in about an hour.

Green92notch

Established Member
Went and looked at the car and im tradding my truck for it sometime this week or next, after i get my wheel bearings fixed. but i need and idea on a cat back for the time being its way to quiet for me. i have heard my buddies BBK and i like that any ideas or sound clips of your own rides?

blownfox

Established Member

I kind of dissagree with having less driveability with a blower car. I was running the trick flow kit for a year and the drieveability was good. But when I added the s-trim + tune it was like driving stock car.

heres a sound clip - bbk equal lenth shorties, bbk o/r x pipe, and bassina cb

th_vidoe009-1.jpg

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
If I could do my 5.0 Cobra again I would have just saved up for a blower. Too many issues with having the car cammed and it just caused a lot of problems for me. Yea the thing sounds like a beast when im at a stoplight and it hauls like a freight train when I get on it but the loss of driveability from putting the cam in it pretty much made me lose interest in the car. Thats just my $0.02 though. (keep in mind it was my daily driver for 2 years with the cam in it, so it got kinda old)

If you pic the right cam you will not have drivability issues. It reminds me of a buddy who put victor junior heads and big cam with a lot of duration on his 306 short block. That car was probably slower than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread