Modern Billet Shift Know Retainer Problems

askiles

I can't stop MODDING!!!
Established Member
Modern Billet Shift Knob Retainer Problems

So I received a Modern Billet shift knob today for my 2012 Mustang GT, the nice satin aluminum one, went to install it, and the retainer will not screw all the way on to the shifter. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!! :mj: I even put a wrench on it, and it has just stopped WAY before it is all the way on. Message send to American Muscle, so we will see what they say. Has anyone else experienced this problem?? I also had 3 Modern Billet grilles that were built incorrectly before I decided that they clearly had a problem with their quality control. Clearly it carries over into their shift knob retainer as well. The easiest part of the Mustang to replace, and NOPE!! LOL Anyone??

-Andy

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
is it the black collar? I had the same collar once upon a time when I used one of their knobs, it needs drilled out from the bottom. just be sure not to drill up too far

askiles

I can't stop MODDING!!!
Established Member
Yeah that's the one. It shouldn't NEED to be drilled out, it should come to the correct size.

-Andy

scott_0

Established Member
Yeah that's the one. It shouldn't NEED to be drilled out, it should come to the correct size.

-Andy

well it does come in the right size, the issue is that the threads come down to far, where as the threads on the shifter stop

askiles

I can't stop MODDING!!!
Established Member
Actually it wasn't that at all. The section on the retainer with no threads at all was too small of a diameter to fit over the section of the shifter with no threads. The shifter shaft is about 1/2" roughly, and the inside diameter of the retainer was less than 1/2".

-Andy

FivePointO

Established Member
I had the same problem when I purchased mine a few months ago. I called and just returned it. They said they were working to fix the issue.

askiles

I can't stop MODDING!!!
Established Member
You would think that would mean they would pull their stock and actually look at it. LOL Seeing as that was a few months ago, they should have had the problem fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread