Modifications for your shotgun

crew_dawg16

Established Member
So I just bought my first gun today, a new Remington 870 Express with the 18" barrel. :banana: It's an all matte black finish with synthetic stock and forend.

EDIT: Here's a pic, except mine has the 7-round mag. not the 5 round as pictured.
870expsyn18.jpg

So now that I have this gun I want to start modding it of course. Here is a short list of some things I want to add / change on this gun:

1. Collapsible stock w/ pistol grip.
2. New sights - Possibly a red-dot type sight.
3. A new forend with the built-in flashlight.

My question to SVTP is this: If you had a shotgun for home defense would these modifications make sense to you or are there any others I should do? If you have any pictures of said mods, post 'em up. :rockon:

Also, where's a good place to buy target rounds and what brand should I look for?

Thanks for any advice :beer:.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
I honestly would leave it as is. While the collapsible stocks may look cool, they are horrible in a tactical situation. I want a large stock that I can quickly get a cheek weld on. I like the 870 with the Police Magnum's furniture. The forend on the stock 870 Express is a little long and a lot of people cut it down.

If you want a pistol grip, take a look at the Speedfeed III. It comes with a shortened forend and a magazine stock.

TMT_6.jpg

If you want a lighted forend, go for the Surefire. I have one on my MP5, and I really like it. Plus, their warranty is top notch.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
I honestly would leave it as is. While the collapsible stocks may look cool, they are horrible in a tactical situation. I want a large stock that I can quickly get a cheek weld on. I like the 870 with the Police Magnum's furniture. The forend on the stock 870 Express is a little long and a lot of people cut it down.

If you want a pistol grip, take a look at the Speedfeed III. It comes with a shortened forend and a magazine stock.

TMT_6.jpg

If you want a lighted forend, go for the Surefire. I have one on my MP5, and I really like it. Plus, their warranty is top notch.

Yeah, ths surefire forend was the one I was looking at. I like the stock you pictured, but if you don't mind me asking, what makes a collapsible stock bad in a tactical situation?

Thanks for the info.

txyaloo

Established Member
Yeah, ths surefire forend was the one I was looking at. I like the stock you pictured, but if you don't mind me asking, what makes a collapsible stock bad in a tactical situation?

Thanks for the info.

I don't want to run the risk of the stock collapsing at the wrong time. IMO, they're not as user friendly when you need to acquire a target quickly. Others may have a different opinion, but when I go shoot, I usually leave the folding stocks at home. I'd rather have function over the "coolness" factor.

Stocks are cheap enough for you to buy one of each and decide which you like better.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
hey dude. you should have just bought a tactical shotgun in the first place instaed of that deer / pheasant gun and tryin to make it a tactical. Could have prolly saved some money and your time. I paid 320 bucks brand new for this here mossberg 590 cruiser about a month ago. this is how it came brand new. 9 shot mag, heat shroud, pistol grip and bayonet lug.
2006_041500001.gif

2006_041500002.gif

crew_dawg16

Established Member
I don't want to run the risk of the stock collapsing at the wrong time. IMO, they're not as user friendly when you need to acquire a target quickly. Others may have a different opinion, but when I go shoot, I usually leave the folding stocks at home. I'd rather have function over the "coolness" factor.

Stocks are cheap enough for you to buy one of each and decide which you like better.

True, just to be clear I am looking at the telescoping stocks and not the folding ones, I agree that those are not good for tactical use.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
hey dude. you should have just bought a tactical shotgun in the first place instaed of that deer / pheasant gun and tryin to make it a tactical. Could have prolly saved some money and your time. I paid 320 bucks brand new for this here mossberg 590 cruiser about a month ago. this is how it came brand new. 9 shot mag, heat shroud, pistol grip and bayonet lug.
2006_041500001.gif

2006_041500002.gif

Thanks for the tip but my 870 with an 18" barrel is hardly a deer gun, in fact, aside from the stock there is almost no difference between my gun and your gun.

EDIT: I also wanted an actual butt stock so that it could be fired from the shoulder, not the hip.

Last edited:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
Thanks for the tip but my 870 with an 18" barrel is hardly a deer gun, in fact, aside from the stock there is almost no difference between my gun and your gun.

sorry, its a duck/pheasnat gun. it was a typo on my part

03 KYL

Established Member
So I just bought my first gun today, a new Remington 870 Express with the 18" barrel. :banana: It's an all matte black finish with synthetic stock and forend.

EDIT: Here's a pic, except mine has the 7-round mag. not the 5 round as pictured.
870expsyn18.jpg

So now that I have this gun I want to start modding it of course. Here is a short list of some things I want to add / change on this gun:

1. Collapsible stock w/ pistol grip.
2. New sights - Possibly a red-dot type sight.
3. A new forend with the built-in flashlight.

My question to SVTP is this: If you had a shotgun for home defense would these modifications make sense to you or are there any others I should do? If you have any pictures of said mods, post 'em up. :rockon:

Also, where's a good place to buy target rounds and what brand should I look for?

Thanks for any advice :beer:.

That's the exact gun that I've been looking for. Mind if I ask whereabouts you picked it up at and for how much? I bought a Remington 1100 a little while back that I use to shoot trap and hunt with, but was looking at picking up a 870 like what you have for home defense.

As for the target rounds, I like the Remington target rounds. Dick's Sporting Goods has a pretty good sale on right now, I've been getting then for less than $4 a box. I have picked up 5 cases in the last week or so.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
That's the exact gun that I've been looking for. Mind if I ask whereabouts you picked it up at and for how much? I bought a Remington 1100 a little while back that I use to shoot trap and hunt with, but was looking at picking up a 870 like what you have for home defense.

As for the target rounds, I like the Remington target rounds. Dick's Sporting Goods has a pretty good sale on right now, I've been getting then for less than $4 a box. I have picked up 5 cases in the last week or so.

Not at all, I picked it up at Cabela's (lucky enough to have one close to me). It cost me $339.

lilphillysvt

tommyguns
Established Member
mine a mossberg 590a1. i install a butler creek pistol grip folding stock and a front grip on the pump. my brother will post pics later.

Humboldt5.0

Established Member
mine a mossberg 590a1. i install a butler creek pistol grip folding stock and a front grip on the pump. my brother will post pics later.

I now have a Rem 870 18'' barrel,Its the tiger stripe urban camo edition.6 +1
I prefer the full stock feel also,in a tactical situation it makes you much more accurate and confident,both a plus,IMO.I haven't shot her yet,and wont until i get a red dot like cod4,lol.I have one on my SKS with the Tapco Fusion setup,love it! Oh i seen a 410 barrel for the 870,i wonder if thats all i would need to shoot 410? That would be sweet ass sweet! GalleryofGuns.com - Gun Genie

About 6 years ago i had a Moss 590sp The sp being special purpose,i haven't heard of the A1 or any other 590 models? What are they about.Mine held 8+1 had the barrel cooler,pistol grip,and side frame mount shell holder.I broke the pistol grip speed shooting 3'' express loads,lol Then had problems with the slide sticking! She got a good workout though :beer:

Last edited:

DrZacharyus

Banned
I would do a clip for it for sure, I forget who makes it though. As well as a surefire light and a checkrest with ammo pouch. I have a pistol grip mossberg with a telescoping stock as well as a Saiga 12g, for home defense I prefer the Saiga. You can't beat having an 8 round clip from an assault rifle that shoots buckshots and slugs.

txyaloo

Established Member
I would do a clip for it for sure, I forget who makes it though. As well as a surefire light and a checkrest with ammo pouch. I have a pistol grip mossberg with a telescoping stock as well as a Saiga 12g, for home defense I prefer the Saiga. You can't beat having an 8 round clip from an assault rifle that shoots buckshots and slugs.

A clip? What are you talking about? Are you referring to a magazine extension?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Bought my Mossberg 590 Marine from a friend with the pistol grip with Hogues on it. I plan on getting the AR stock adapter for it but for home defense I really like the pistol grip. It's really comfortable with the Hogues on both the fore and pistol grips, and with recoil shells it doesn't hurt your wrist that bad. It looks like you have a semi auto though (mines pump action) in which you probably aren't going to want low recoil ammo. My buddy was shooting low recoil in his Remington 870 tactical and it wasn't able to kick out the expended shells. Wolf, Remington or Winchester Buckshot or slugs is what ammo I buy and it's all worked well so far as far as ammo goes.

Also, I'm not sure what shells they are but Remington makes some slugs that I think you have to buy online, but they move at something like 1500fps and shoot a flame about 2 feet out the end of the barrel. It's pretty badass, and the kick is killer! I need to figure out what they are exactly cause I want to pick some up.:rockon:

SSPX0038.jpg

SSPX0039.jpg

Last edited:

onebad2003cobra

Established Member
Surefure flashlight forend is def the way to go. So much nicer and very easy to use

I disagree...respectfully of course. the surefire light forend is nice..however, its like 200 bucks retail and locks you in to just using a light. surefire makes a rail forend replacement that is 130 bucks. it allows you to run any combo you want, as it is a universal adapter. on top of which the light forend puts your nonshooting wrist in a very uncomfortable position. the pistol grip rail setup alleviates that. plus you have to find the button to activate the light when you need it. i use a pressure pad on the pistol grip so its right there, all i have to do is squeeze harder.

to the OP: its the same shotgun you have but its the tactical version. all factory done.

folding stocks on a shotgun are not the greatest either.

not really sure why you want to spend money on different sights for a scatter gun either. if youre running competitions with slugs or something maybe....but the i would do MMC ghost rings or at least a vang comp setup.

here is a pic of my stock. as soon as my camera finishes charging ill take some pics of the forend setup so you can see if its something you want.

random003.gif

Last edited:

onebad2003cobra

Established Member
the light/laser combo i have on currently is an M6X setup, i had an extra one laying around at work. i use Knights armament rail covers on the sides in case i want to pull everything off and just use it as orginally designed.

pics....

DSCN1874.gif

DSCN1876.gif

DSCN1881.gif

DSCN1883.gif

Users who are viewing this thread