Modifying Trunk Release

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Any ideas on how to modify the trunk release from the electric solenoid to mechanical with out too much modification?

Here's my issue - I'm running a fuel cell in my race car but still have to unlock the trunk with the key.....extremely annoying when I have limited time between sessions to fuel up. And if I lose the key....

I was looking to remove the lock and run a pull cable through the existing hole.....cheap and light. It wasn't until I removed the lock did I find out the latch was electric. So I'm looking for a mechanical latch that I can use to attach the pull cord to. Wondering if an older model or another car would have a spring-type latch of some sorts that would work on an SN95.

My second option is to run hood pins through previously drilled holes in the deck lid (from the old spoiler). This would require me to have someone fab up and weld something to hold the pin from the bottom though.

Hope that makes sense on what I'm trying to accomplish........thoughts?

96mystic#899

Established Member
I just connected it to the second channel of my alarm and I pop the truck with my remote.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Point is it's a race car so I don't want to carry any keys/remotes, etc in my fire suit. Anything that's not fire resistant is not on me while at the track.

4.6Ranchero

Established Member
Even being electric, you should be able to put a pull cable on it, they're not difficult mechanisms and is still being done by manufacturers today as escape cables.. Same concept as far as attaching it, but to do a long cable you have access to inside the car youll want a similar setup to a hood release as far as the cable goes. hell you could probably modify it to use a hood latch with little effort

SNAKEYE

Established Member
If you still have the remote/electrically operated trunk release mechanism installed on the car, how about a momentary contact pushbutton switch mounted near the keyhole on the trunk lid?

Users who are viewing this thread