mods...for my 96 GT

96stang

Established Member
I just got the car a little bit ago, i got a Mac cold air intake, and an exhaust, i know the only got 215 hp :shrug: ... so what can i do to juice it up for not whole lot of money???

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
What do you mean exhaust? Headers to catback? Gears would be first on my list. Where in MA you from?

96stang

Established Member
EastCoast5.0 said:
What do you mean exhaust? Headers to catback? Gears would be first on my list. Where in MA you from?

I have cat back exhaust, yea i wass thinking of gears mabey 355's..I live in north andover MA

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Do you have a manual or an auto? I'd get some 373's if you've got a stick. Look into a midpipe maybe, there kinda expensive if your goin to get a catted pipe but worth it if your goin to have the car for a while. A shifter will help a lot also.

I have a buddy in Andover, he's into Jeeps though :dw: :).

96stang

Established Member
yeaa its a 5 speed my friends got 373's there good gears i was just wondering how the 355's are...ill look into the mid pipe though thanx :)

Darkman

Rolling Thunder
Established Member
Go for 4.10 or 4.30 if you really want the performance. The gas mileage will not suffer horribly. 4.30 gears at 65mph is about 2500rpms and I have said this a couple of times you bought a Mustang for performance not a Yugo for gas mileage right? Your 96 is low on hp and torque from the factory. The gears will help a tremendous amount. East cost is right and then I would change the shifter. I little nitrous after that and you will be all smiles trust me.

96stang

Established Member
i heared about a head and intake manifold swap from a 01 and up GT the ports are bigger and i should gain about 50 hp from that, more if i do the cams....So is the swap a direct bolt on or no and what will i need?

Thanks

SVT GT

Established Member
Get 4:10's no matter what tranny you have, don't fear the gear! Those would be my first to do on my list! Then look into getting some pullies, upper intake plenum, T/B, CAI, X-pipe, short throw and some headers. Not in that order though...its up to you. A gain of 50hp with just a PI intake swap, I never heard of it being that much.

JVENOM

Established Member
gears and pullies will help....but you be better off...putting a shot or pi head swap.

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
In my opinion if you wanna wake up the car a little you should do a gear swap 3:73 or 4:10, along with exhaust ( Long tubes headers, Shorty headers, Xpipe, cat-back, etc)
Next i would change the heads on the car go to the 99 -04 Pi set up, if your gonna waste the money do it right you can have the heads ported and polished with cams, etc, then you can add a nice bottle to it or go S/C .. That's my opinion.

96stang

Established Member
yeaa the head and intake PI swap is a must and gears i will do to i just need all the parts for the swap, ill prolly get them used and then looked over. I need to figure out exactly what i need and need to do for the swap

thanks guys

Darkman

Rolling Thunder
Established Member
Heads are very expensive 1100 to 1500 plus 600 for the cams 1900 or so for a gain of only 45-50 hp at the most. Not the most cost effective way to go. Plus, it is time consuming and labor intensive. You can gain 100-150 for 599.00 with Nitrous. . Your money just something to think about. With the amount of money you saved you can get the gears, headers, off road h or x pipe, and still have money left over. 100 shot is easy to install, not hard on the motor and puts you at 315hp plus you gain 100lbs of torque.

spike_africa

Established Member
well since you do not want to spend alot of money i would either spray it with nitrous, or go and get a set of 4.10 gears installed. you can find perfectly good used gears all over the place and then install should be like 200bucks.

dalamar_96

Established Member
JVENOM said:
gears and pullies will help....but you be better off...putting a shot or pi head swap.
That bout sums it up.

I think Gear's are the best feel-for-money mod there is.

373 if you're adding a blower, 410 if you're not.

PI swap is the where to start on the 96-98's
The install is the bitch...labor adds up.
if you can do it, or have a friend helper that knows how, that's alot easier
on the wallet.

Another route is a centrifigal blower, the PI intake swap & cams
but you'll be HP limited by the size of the ports in the stock
nonPI boat anchors.

Darkman

Rolling Thunder
Established Member
Casey I'm in Frankfort, Louisville and Lexington I travel a lot between the three.

Users who are viewing this thread