Molesting my otherwise stock '94 Cobra

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Hey guys,

A few months ago I picked up a low mileage '94 Cobra which with the exception of a homemade CAI and an off-road H-pipe was 100% stock down to the original tires. Aside from an aftermarket radio, a shorty antenna, and new wheels and tires I haven't modified the vehicle in any other way and wasn't intending to for a while but I got a deal on a Vortech V2 that I couldn't pass up on. 8 rib setup, has the AMS Powerpipe. My plans are to install the kit on my otherwise stock engine, along with 60lb injectors, a 340lph fuel pump, SCT BA2600 and a Bob Kurgan mail-order tune. The accompanying fuel components and MAF were recommended by Bob. I'm initially going to be running the blower with the 6-8lb setup and down the road I'm sure I'm going to want more and swap the pulleys for the 8-10lb setup, and add longtubes and a larger TB at the same time.

Any guesses on what sort of power I should expect to put down with the 6-8lb setup? I would be happy if I could get in to the 350rwhp range which I don't think is out of the question. Is there any reason that I should consider swapping the cam if the intake and heads are still going to be stock? I'm not looking to break the bank right now with aluminum heads, an intake and the myriad of parts and labor that accompany the swap.

Any suggestions, tips and input would be helpful. Thanks!

decipha

Established Member
it should make right at 350rwhp no problem

leave the stock cam in it you can retard it 4 degrees if you take the cover off but no need

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
it should make right at 350rwhp no problem

leave the stock cam in it you can retard it 4 degrees if you take the cover off but no need

That brings up a good point that I may be missing as well. Do I need to use an ignition controller such as an MSD 6AL box?

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
That brings up a good point that I may be missing as well. Do I need to use an ignition controller such as an MSD 6AL box?

No you dont need one of those.

One step colder than stock spark plug and gap it a little tighter. Use a good coil if anything.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
No you dont need one of those.

One step colder than stock spark plug and gap it a little tighter. Use a good coil if anything.

That's what I figured - I saw some kits being offered with the MSD so I was unsure. I'll replace my plugs, wires and ignition coil when I do the install.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member

shurur

Established Member
I have a '94 Cobra with a pushrod 5.0L. The NA SVT recipe does not apply :)

ok.

my bad.

maybe check out/post in foxbody thread as well...;-)
You guys should have your very own forum.

There must be a recipe for your years as well.

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
This is our forum... SN95 Cobra's includes the years 94-98 lol. Plenty of people on here own and have knowledge of both 5.0L and 4.6L Cobra's.

shurur

Established Member
This is our forum... SN95 Cobra's includes the years 94-98 lol. Plenty of people on here own and have knowledge of both 5.0L and 4.6L Cobra's.

No busting on you, just saying you may have other avenues to get answers to your motor mod questions by posting in other forums as well...like maybe the foxbody cobra forum.

Good luck... ;-)

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
It would be so hard not to leave it bone stock lol. If you do throw on a blower, consider leaving it stock appearing, 4x4 stance and skinny tires and all. Nobody will expect it would run bottom 12s.

I wish i left my car stock looking sometimes. I need a low mile one to drive!

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Getting there. For now, we're going to run the factory fuel system with the supplied FMU until next Spring at which point I'll upgrade the rest and run some more boost. Looking for 320rwhp as is.

obo1vTE.jpg

Video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g625skx5nl7qi0t/IMG_0079.MOV?dl=0

Users who are viewing this thread