Momo shift knobs

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Anyone have experience using Momo shift knobs with their "universal adaptors?" They have some nice pieces, but I am not sure if their attachment system is really solid.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
It's not very solid. Mine comes loose every other month.

The knobs are fitted to the shifter with a rubber bushing. The knob kit comes with several to fit over a variety of thread sizes. Ultimately, it is fixed to the shifter with three set screw that are really too small to hold for long. Still though, I like the shifter knob and someday I figure out a way to make it work. I like the challenge.

Last edited:

blk96SVT

Established Member
I too have a Momo shifter knob. My cousin gave it to me, he ordered from Saleen, I like it a lot, my hand fits nicely. But, the damn three little screws do come loose quite often. I just carry a little allen wrench in my center console so I can tighten when need be.

Tim

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
You guys might want to try some blue Loc Tite on those screws.

My handle screws were vibrating loose once every couple of weeks. I got fed up and Loc Tited them. Worked like a charm.

Only use blue so you can get it off if you want. Other colors are more permanent.

Silver TT

Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
You guys might want to try some blue Loc Tite on those screws.

My handle screws were vibrating loose once every couple of weeks. I got fed up and Loc Tited them. Worked like a charm.

Only use blue so you can get it off if you want. Other colors are more permanent.

That is some great advice....I'll have to try that too.:beer:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I second that, that is the best way to do it. Use the loc tight and you won't have to worry

ALLNTRL

Established Member
I had a Momo shift knob and it looked great but the damn thing came lose ALL the time!!! :gt: I sold it and now have a Ford Motorsports Carbon Fiber one, fits MUCH better. :beer:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Given the info, I'm inclined to stay with a knob that has stock Ford threads and not have to worry about losing it while I;, doing a power shift! Wish there were more nice knobs with stock threads, though. Most are billet (gets too hot in the summer) or plastic-- can't find any round leather knobs.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
You can get an MGW and take the 12.5mm threaded shaft out and replace it with one with SAE threads. That will give you a wider range of knob choices.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Do you mean use an MGW handle (which I have) that has different threads than the one I got for the Cobra? The threads on that shaft are stock Ford size (fits my stock knob). Or do you mean there is an insert that I can take out of an MGW knob (like the Gripper) and put in another knob?

Silver TT

Established Member
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
I had a Momo shift knob and it looked great but the damn thing came lose ALL the time!!! :gt: I sold it and now have a Ford Motorsports Carbon Fiber one, fits MUCH better. :beer:

Where did you buy the Ford Motorsports handle??

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver TT
Where did you buy the Ford Motorsports handle??
You can get them thru the parts dept. at any Ford dealer. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread