Money order

jknowles4

Established Member
I don't know if this belongs here,but I wanted to know what is the safest way to send money to someone. I don't know the guy and he lives in another state and I want to buy a few mods from him. The total is about $2000 and I am a little worried about sending this amount of money. Does anyone have any ideas. He wants a money order but what would be the best way to do this. He doesn't have a paypal account. Thanks!!!!

RTHJimmy

Established Member
Be careful

I just got ripped off for 197.01 from a guy on this site! I won an aution for a set 2005 Mustang GT headlights. I sent a cashiers check from my bank which like a money order is gone once it's cashed. His user name is SVTSNK2004. He told me the item was damaged and would refund the money and he sent a personal check and after I deposited it he put a stop payment on it. Now I am out the $$.

Are you buying this from ebay or elsewhere? I would send a money order form paypal or some third party that can track it. I think they can send a money order to the address. Also, you may want to send a personal check in case you have to put a stop payment on it.

Good luck!

jknowles4

Established Member
I read your post and that is what got me a little worried about this. This is just a single item that is a little over 2k and I found it for sell on this site. I've been lucky so far with stuff I have bought like this but most have only been around $100-$200. Thanks for the advice.

-281 2V-

Established Member
I would only send an MO/cashier's check if it was A) a fairly small amount and B) Someone who has a very good selling reputation. Haven't had a problem yet...

Mike

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Who are you buying it from, you might be able to get people who have dealt with him before to chime in. Always be weary of # of posts. If they're low, I'd send four small payments to ensure you get what you are paying for....

Get emails/phone numbers and addresses. Make sure they are legit, 'cause $2000 is ridiculous money to get ripped off online.

I sent an $1100 money order to a poster here and was completely comfortable with it. Ya gotta do some research though....

Last edited:

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Thats a tough decision man, theres always a risk online. I have actually passed on mods before just because I didnt know if the guy was legit.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Unless you pay with paypal there really isn't any safe way. I hate buying from people that don't have paypal but sometimes you have to.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
1. Who is the seller?

2. How long has he been an svtperformance member?

3. What is his post count?

4. Have you searched and read some of his previous posts?

5. Does he sound like a responsible person based on the content of his posts?

6. Does he have an ebay account with any feedback?

jknowles4

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys. I am really a bit leary about sending that kind of money out with no safeguard. If anyone else reads this and has an idea that would work for both me and the seller I would appreciate it. Thanks!!

jknowles4

Established Member
I just got off the phone with him and he said he would take a personal check. Sounded like a pretty trustful guy but aren't we all???? Anyways, I have checked his post and he gave me his ebay account and his feedback is 100%. The thing is, his post count and ebay feedback are about like mine. I don't write much on here and don't sell a lot on ebay, but I would never screw anybody out of any kind of money. Do you guys think the personal check is the way to go? I can stop payment on it if anything goes wrong. He said he would send the item as soon as he got the check. What do you guys think about this??? Thanks again!!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
jknowles4 said:
Do you guys think the personal check is the way to go? I can stop payment on it if anything goes wrong.
As a seller, I accept personal checks all the time. But most smart sellers would never ship something until a check had cleared. If this is the case, a personal check would offer you absolutely NO protection. Once a check clears, that money is gone!

The thing is, his post count and ebay feedback are about like mine. I don't write much on here and don't sell a lot on ebay...
Considering that statement and the fact that he doesn't have a PayPal account, I would not send this guy $2,000.

I'd escrow or forget about the whole thing. That's the only way that protects both of you.

jknowles4

Established Member
His SN is sonic02stang. He has been a member since 5-27-05. He has 49 posts. From what I have read about him and spoke with him about he had a little trouble with his truck so he is getting rid of it and all the mods.

jknowles4

Established Member
Top Fuel,
He said he would ship as soon as he got my check. He would then call me and give me the tracking# and would then go to cash the check. I know this puts him in the same situation I am in but he said this would work for him.

Users who are viewing this thread