Money up front? Pay the cop?

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Went to Spring Zing 04 up in Utica, MI for the Contour.org club.. Went to the track to find out it was closed so we headed back to the hotel.. Well I got pulled over for 73 in a 55.. Cop takes all 4 of or licenses, comes back and gives all 3 of the other guy's there ID's back and tells me to step out of the car.. Anyways, he tells me that he can take my license and all this which I think Ive heard of about Michigan.. But another thing he said was that I could go back into my car and get $100.00 and give it to him? I asked him "If I give you $100.00 I don't get the ticket?".. He said "no you get the ticket either way".. I asked what the $100.00 was for and he told me that it's Michigan law and that they will put the $100.00 towards my ticket.. I just told him I'll mail it in cause that sounded pretty messed up.. All 3 of my passengers felt the same way and everyone Ive talked to says the same thing.. So I got his name, badge #, and # off of his patrol card.. He gave me his card also.. Wanted to see if anyone knew about this? Thanks!

Mark

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Sorry, it's legit & perfectly legal (up to $100 deposit ORholding the driver's license).
It's a tool used to guarantee that out-of-state drivers appear in court.

:)

See: MVC 257.749

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
No joke? Wow. I thought this only happened in Mexico! Do they take debit cards? :p

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Wow, I've read over that law several times and I think it stinks! I don't agree with the fact that they can take your license(which, by the way, is another states property) and let you back out on the road without it(which is illegal in most states). Just the fact that they confiscate the property of another state make me wonder if it's legal.

Sephiroth

Established Member
Originally posted by golfprowanabe
Wow, I've read over that law several times and I think it stinks! I don't agree with the fact that they can take your license(which, by the way, is another states property) and let you back out on the road without it(which is illegal in most states). Just the fact that they confiscate the property of another state make me wonder if it's legal.

Its getting worse too :nonono:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by golfprowanabe

Most states that are in the compact, agree to allow other states to "seize" a driver license from their state under various circumstances. I would think this would be one of those circumstances.

I can gaurantee you that the powers that be have checked and confirmed the legality of these actions before even suggesting that an officer perform said actions.

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
If I dont think you'll show up, I just lock you up! I do NOT want to touch other peoples money unless I absoloutly have too.

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
I go to school in Angola, IN, 40 miles north of Fort Wayne, where Knoximous is from. I went to Detroit, going North on I-69 to 94 East. Near Jackson, I pass this overpass with a state policeman underneath in a Blue Yukon. I was doing 85 in a 70. He pulls me after I pass him and go about 1/2 a mile. He pulls me out of the car and has me walk behind it and does the same thing, asks for my insurance card, license, or 100 crisp, clean notes of US currency. Luckily (or unluckily depending on one's perspective) I had about $140 on me so I just gave him the cash because I wasn't giving him my id or insurance. So We left and I had to rely on using my debit card in Detroit. But that was one mean looking cop though. Let me off with an 80 in a 70. Only a $95 ticket so I said send back my $5 and keep the rest. I guess it's because of the Texas ID and plates, but I was never told that that was the reason they did it.

Users who are viewing this thread