More Exhaust Questions

94RedCobra

Established Member
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to do all of the exhaust components on the Cobra. So far, I'm pretty set on a Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, but I'm still looking for a good set of headers.

I've heard a lot of good things about JBA's, but are they worth the money? Also, would long tubes be a good consideration? I don't want to scrape then on these bumpy Minnesota roads.

Thanks much for the advice.:coolman:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
HEY! Where in MN are you??

Anyways... LT's are the way to go... I wanted some, but didn't feel like going through the hassle of getting a new H or X-pipe to match the LT's (and install is a bit of a pain), plus my ride is lowered and I figured there might be clearance problems there... so I went with BBK equal-length ceramic coated shorties instead.

You may as well get the Bassani headers since anyone and everyone who's ever had them praise them and say they are top notch... but they are top dollar too.

The FRPP shorties are a very nice header too (I believe they are un-equal length). If you can spring for it, ceramic coated is the way to go... but on a LT it will be pretty expensive.

Last edited:

94RedCobra

Established Member
I'm in West Central Minnesota.

I've heard good thing about the FRPP ones based on cost and quality. If I do anything, I'm gonna get the ceramic coated ones because I can't stand to have dull looking headers. A little bit of a pet peeve for me I guess.

I plan on lowering my car, so I guess I should forget about the long tubes.

I'm also leaning towards JBA's if they weren't so darn expensive.

Decisions and Details!!!

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Okay.... be more specific... how far are ya' from the Twin Cities? Always lookin' for another cruise parter :coolman:

I had gotten a set of JBA's at one point for a '89 GT (back in about '93) and they were the "Firecone"s (un-equals)... don't know if they even still make those?

Fit seemed to be fine (I wasn't the installer back then) but I just ordered a regular finish and it was a little nasty. Came kinda nicked and I wasn't too thrilled about it. But no exhaust leaks and they had a cool "sound" to 'em.

94RedCobra

Established Member
I'm near Willmar. Thanks for the info on the exhaust components. I want to get the Cobra running really well before I take it to the streets. I wanted to get down to the Mustang show at American Ford, but I had a graduation to go to.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I took home a 3rd from that show... that's okay I guess. It was a cool show.

Well if you're ever over my way on the weekend, hit me up and we can hook up an cruise University Ave. and check out all the rides down there... there was a yellow Ferrari down there lastnight! :eek:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I had great service from my ceramic coated FRPP shorties. The JBA's only make a couple extra ponies. For the money they just weren't woth it in my book. They are excellent made items from what I've seen though.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Yup see... everyone I know that has the FRPP shorties like 'em. If I was keepin' the L I'd get a set for that!

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
I too want a good exhaust but I went the cheap route this time til I can save up some bucks to get the JDM set up. I had the stock mufflers cut of and I put some straight through mufflers on and OMFG is it hella cool. Sounds so good. Really growls now and people look at me at stop lights expecially when I see them in my rear view.:p

So Says Me.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
They look at you cuz they think you're a freak LMAO... j/k.

I'm sure they look too cuz Cobra's just kick ass! :thumbsup:

ALLNTRL

Established Member
If your looking for the "BEST" in a shorty header then get the JBA ceramic coated 1 5/8". And YES, they are worth the price difference over the other brands on the market!!! ;-)

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
If your looking for the "BEST" in a shorty header then get the JBA ceramic coated 1 5/8". And YES, they are worth the price difference over the other brands on the market!!! ;-)
Your pick even over Bassani?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by 94RedCobra
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to do all of the exhaust components on the Cobra. So far, I'm pretty set on a Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, but I'm still looking for a good set of headers.

I've heard a lot of good things about JBA's, but are they worth the money? Also, would long tubes be a good consideration? I don't want to scrape then on these bumpy Minnesota roads.

Thanks much for the advice.:coolman:

Welcome aboard, always nice to see another minnesotian in here. We should meet up some weekend, we aren't to far apart. :thumbsup:

Brian

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT X 2

Your pick even over Bassani?
My experience is more with the modular cars than with the 5.0 cars so if it is a modular then YES I would go with the JBA's (their performance and quality are unsurpassed in what is available in shorty headers for mod motored vehicles). Now, Bassani makes some excellent products (I have one of their X-pipes on my car) and as for a header choice for a 5.0 car I think that both the JBA's or the Bassani shorty's would provide similar results and both are a quality product but my choice would be between those two. Also IMO getting the ceramic coating is always money well spent! Now, if you are talking long tubes then for modulars I would go JDM and for a 5.0 car I would go Bassani, just my opinion but I hope it helps. :)

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Interesting... I've heard of ALOT of people raving about the Bassani headers on their mod-motors. I agree... ceramic is the only way to fly :coolman:

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT X 2
Interesting... I've heard of ALOT of people raving about the Bassani headers on their mod-motors.
:dw: Sorry but I think you misunderstood me, it's the JBA's for the Mod motors. As far as I know Bassani doesn't make headers for the modular cars. :shrug: Now us Modular guys rave about our Bassani X-pipes for our cars :thumbsup: as they ROCK on a Modular car! (especially with some Borla XR-1's) :-D Sorry for the confusion. :)

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
Since your car is mostly stock, you would want to go with un-equal length shorty headers, JBL preferrably, basanni highflow cats with an X pipe and the best cat-back around is borla with the XR-1 race mufflers.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
:dw: Sorry but I think you misunderstood me, it's the JBA's for the Mod motors. As far as I know Bassani doesn't make headers for the modular cars. :shrug: Now us Modular guys rave about our Bassani X-pipes for our cars :thumbsup: as they ROCK on a Modular car! (especially with some Borla XR-1's) :-D Sorry for the confusion. :)
Oh no big deal... maybe I'm confused cuz I could SWEAR they do have them for the mod-motors. And yea, the X's are raved about (off-road).

94RedCobra

Established Member
Thanks again for all the info. As for the car being stock, it is for now, but won't be for long.

I plan on throwing some AFR's on along with the other neccessary bolts and possibly an ATI if the funds are available. I plan on building to fit that combo so I don't have to buy parts twice.

Laters:) :)

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by 94RedCobra
Thanks again for all the info. As for the car being stock, it is for now, but won't be for long.

I plan on throwing some AFR's on along with the other neccessary bolts and possibly an ATI if the funds are available. I plan on building to fit that combo so I don't have to buy parts twice.

Laters:) :)
Excellent mod route! :thumbsup: I was thinking of going the same exact route!

Hey... are you goin' go the Car Craft show at the fairgrounds next weekend? I'm gonna be there with a buy w/a black '99 Cobra.

\\Tim

Users who are viewing this thread