More popular in New York, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh?

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
I've often wondered what team is the most popular in each city. I understand the question can't really be quantified, but I'm sure some of you folks that live in or near these cities have a pretty good idea.

New York: Is it the Yankees, Knicks, other?

Boston: Red Sox, Celtics, other?

Chicago: Cubs, Bears, other?

Pittsburgh: Steelers, Penguins, other?

Feel free to chime in people in good sports cities. What about Philly, Detroit, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, and wherever else you might be.

mysterio

Established Member
I know in NY, its the Yankees... And in MA, its the Red Sox... Followed closely by the Pats.

Completely accurate. The Pats were the last game in town; by the time they got established, the other Boston area teams had multiple generations of fans, especially the Sox. And for many years, the Pats were doormats.

But they are the rapidly rising stars, and sell out every home game. Would they eclipse the Sox one day in popularity? That might be tough, but stranger things have happened.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
Yea, definitely the Red Sox in Boston.

Pittsburgh has got to be the Steelers.

Detroit I would guess the Red Wings.

Boston its definetely the Sox, followed very closely by the Pats, the Celtics. at least the Bruins are ahead of the Revs

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Completely accurate. The Pats were the last game in town; by the time they got established, the other Boston area teams had multiple generations of fans, especially the Sox. And for many years, the Pats were doormats.

But they are the rapidly rising stars, and sell out every home game. Would they eclipse the Sox one day in popularity? That might be tough, but stranger things have happened.

Yeah. Most of my family is from MA... And I go there a few times a year. There are way more "die hard" red sox fans. That doesn't mean they don't support their patriots or celtics or bruins... But red sox fans are more willing to beat the crap out of rival team supporters. Lol.

As for the Yankees.... They've brought home the most championships and there are more fans of the Yankees in the state than any other team.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
thats suprising considering the Phillies recent success

It's extremely close but there are still more Eagle fans. 8 years ago there was very little fan support for the Phils and massive support for the Eagles. Now to have them competting for the top spot is to say a lot for the Phillies. The town has been a football town for quite some time.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Chicago is a tough call, honestly. I have to say the Bears are the most popular though, since fans of all our other teams most likely root for them as well.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Hard to say one team is more popular than another. Last year, everyone was a Blackhawks fan. Right now, everyone is a Bears fan. Back in the 90s when the Bulls were on-top I'd say that was the team Chicago was best known for. A lot of fair weather fans I suppose. That's how it goes though, when a team is doing good, it's popular. :shrug:

Last edited:

mysterio

Established Member
It's extremely close but there are still more Eagle fans. 8 years ago there was very little fan support for the Phils and massive support for the Eagles. Now to have them competting for the top spot is to say a lot for the Phillies. The town has been a football town for quite some time.

A bit surprised none of you Philly area guys have mentioned the Flyers yet. I know that team typically has a rabid and vocal fan base. In the NHL thread that's active here in tailgate, they're plenty vocal.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
In Houston it's Texans, then the Cowboys(lol), Astros(Assholes), and then the Rockers...or the sprockets....I dont know some basketball team we have here. All I know is they suck ass.

Users who are viewing this thread