More TOB problems info

stang99

New T56; new Spec Stage 2 with Spec's flywheel and TOB. 600 miles and the TOB is squealing like a stuck pig already. Going to have to pay my shop to take the tranny out and see what's up with it. Sometimes I think that it was cheaper to get divorced than it is to support my 03. Maybe I should have become addicted to some expensive illegal drug and it might have been a cheaper habit. Unfortunately, I still get a grin every time I open the throttle all the way in the Cobra. And I shut it down from 70 this morning using all the brakes that it had and it stops really well on dry pavement with all new OEM F1's. It even handles corners almost as well as a Toyota 4 cyl work truck heading for home on payday with all the concrete working tools rattling around in the bed. I sure hope that I get these tranny TOB issues under control since they are intruding into my enjoyment of my ride.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Sorry to hear about this tetge, this is NOT what I wanted to hear :( What kind of squeeling is it doing? Full throtte at 5K RPM+ (like mine), when clutch is in, when clutch is out, when you depress the clutch or other?

stang99

Squeal at idle is the worst. There are some noises when driving. I haven't been running 6000 rpm lately. We'll take it apart soon. I have another Spec composit TOB in a box just sitting there to keep as a backup so we have a TOB to install. I just hope that the new T56 has not broken already. It chattery and noisey in my car right. I think I'll put on my Nittos and go to LACR to see how it runs with the new smaller pulley I just finished installing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I forgot to answer the quadrant question: UPR Extreme with cable and firewall adjuster. The quadrant is very nice and is not the problem this time.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
Squeal at idle is the worst. There are some noises when driving. I haven't been running 6000 rpm lately. We'll take it apart soon. I have another Spec composit TOB in a box just sitting there to keep as a backup so we have a TOB to install. I just hope that the new T56 has not broken already. It chattery and noisey in my car right. I think I'll put on my Nittos and go to LACR to see how it runs with the new smaller pulley I just finished installing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I forgot to answer the quadrant question: UPR Extreme with cable and firewall adjuster. The quadrant is very nice and is not the problem this time.
Why was it the problem last time?

logan_yomtov

Established Member
i just got my car back yesterday because i brought it in for the throw out bearing squeek. Mines squeaks occasionally, and in gear a little more often.
The dealership said they didn't find any problem witht he TOB and could not replicate the squeal, and if the TOB was bad, it would squeal all the time. They also said if it does go bad and my tranny goes out, they'll just replace it under warranty.
I left all the mods on my car, and they were aware of them when they called me to let me know they couldn't find a problem with the TOB. I thought it was pretty cool that they didn't care too much about my mods.

stang99

All the mods were on my car too. A TOB will not get better and, if my theory is correct, unusual loads on the TOB retainer will possibly cause it to fail by breaking off right at the front tranny Ford adapter. I am thinking that it is a design defect. My car has in excess of 28000 miles on it so it may be a relatively high mileage unit in the 03 world. But, I have always been easy on clutches/brakes/trannys all my life. If I am experiencing failures, they may be waiting for others as the miles pile up on their cars. So far, we have heard of isolated failures in this area. It will be interesting to see what the future will reveal.

stang99

If you are asking what was wrong with the T56 last time, the TOB retainer sleeve (the tube that the input shaft goes through and the TOB works on) was broken right off flush with the transmission front adapter, Ford. Not a part available anywhere in the world, with the only known fix being an entire T56.

Originally posted by 03DOHC
Why was it the problem last time?

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
All the mods were on my car too. A TOB will not get better and, if my theory is correct, unusual loads on the TOB retainer will possibly cause it to fail by breaking off right at the front tranny Ford adapter. I am thinking that it is a design defect. My car has in excess of 28000 miles on it so it may be a relatively high mileage unit in the 03 world. But, I have always been easy on clutches/brakes/trannys all my life. If I am experiencing failures, they may be waiting for others as the miles pile up on their cars. So far, we have heard of isolated failures in this area. It will be interesting to see what the future will reveal.

You may be on to something here, tetge. Since both of us seem to be having bad problems with this, and both of us have over 20K miles, this may be a problem that doesn't rear its ugly head until later.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by logan_yomtov
i just got my car back yesterday because i brought it in for the throw out bearing squeek. Mines squeaks occasionally, and in gear a little more often.
The dealership said they didn't find any problem witht he TOB and could not replicate the squeal, and if the TOB was bad, it would squeal all the time. They also said if it does go bad and my tranny goes out, they'll just replace it under warranty.
I left all the mods on my car, and they were aware of them when they called me to let me know they couldn't find a problem with the TOB. I thought it was pretty cool that they didn't care too much about my mods.

Find a different dealer. Mine told me the same thing. After 3 TOB's, I can pretty much unequivably guarantee that they are full of sh!t. Let it go too long, and you'll need a new tranny. Mine told me "Just bring it back when it gets bad". I did, and they flagged my VIN because "You drive it hard, and that's not normal driving conditions" :rolleyes:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Since I've had just about every '03 problem, I'm just waiting for mine to go, too. I've heard that those w/ bad TOBs also experience a vibration in the clutch pedal along with the noise. Anyone have just the vibration with NO noise?

stang99

That's a very good question that I hope to find the answer to when the tranny comes out for the third time in two weeks. Right now, I am very concerned that the TOB retainer piece may have already broken off of the new tranny. Other possible causes would be a defective TOB from Spec and/or Stage 2 with defects or, I may have broken in the clutch and flywheel too harsely and created so much chatter that the TOB failed. One final possibility would be the short distance that the car was driven after the new TOB was installed (< 10 miles) and before the new tranny went in ate the TOB. Hopefully, I will find out Tuesday after the holiday and also I am keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is onlywith the TOB and/or the flywheel-clutch. If the TOB retainer has broken off the tranny in the first 600 miles, I am going to divest myself of the Cobra immediately.

Originally posted by mike79
Tetge-What would make the TOB squeal if you just replaced it though.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Tetge,

Did they reuse the old clutch fork, or did the new tranny come with a new clutch fork? If the clutch fork (it's the long peice that connects the clutch cable and holds the TOB) is the same, its possible that a problem with it is causing your failures.

Users who are viewing this thread