Most Boneheaded Car Stories

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
Let's hear the funny mishaps you've had while working on your car. It dosent matter how stupid it is, its usually funnier that way. I've replaced 3 motors and 3 trannys in my car so I've had alot of oppertunities:-D The two dumbest I can remember are:

Forgetting to drain the antifreeze before removing the intake and making a complete mess of the garage floor and the intake valley. Worst part is I had to leave in the middle of the job and my family cat drank some off the floor and died a week later:bash:

While taking the tranny out of the car I remove the driveshaft and feel a nice warm feeling right in the groin area. Im like WTF? Well dumbass me forgot to drain the tranny fluid and I proceeded to empty a couple of quarts right on myself.

Lets hear em::pepper:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Using one of the clamp-type valvespring compressors, trying to get the valvespring compressed, and my friend and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. My friend's dad (he's a mechanic and we were in his shop trying to change valveseals) walks over, looks at us and the spring, grabs a flashlight, and laughs at us. "You have dual valvesprings." I hate SBC valveseals. Oh well, good excuse to throw some Dart heads on.

machstang23

Established Member
well off the top of my head... I was installing a PHP intake spacer and was just finishing up and torquing all the bolts done, (they needed to be torqued in inch lbs) well my dumb a$$ grabbed my ft lb torque wrench and proceeded to stap the bol off in the intake... which then I had to remove everthing and re-tap the intake... :bash: :bash:

theraapster

Established Member
I finished up putting my new brake pads and rear engine mount on and was putting my wheels back on. I hand tightened my front right wheel lug nuts and then did my front left. Taking my car off the jack stands I then proceded to only tighten the front right wheel. The next day I take a road trip (~600 miles round trip). About 30 from my house I start to get a rattle up front and I one of my lugnuts fell off. I get back home and take a look and immediately remember that I forgot to tight up that wheel. I was so pissed, yet thankful that my wheel didn't come off while I was driving.

97snaketrplB

Here ya go:

A buddy of mine followed in my regretful footsteps and picked up a new evo for himself. He had just brought the thing home when he asked me if I'd come on ever and help him change the oil/wash it and so on (this was back in 03 when swapping the synthetic for dino oil during break-in was all the rage in the evo circle). Anyway, to make the short story even shorter, he gave it a little too much gas up the metal ramps he was using, and went right off the front, lodging them in the body and doing a fair bit of damage. Naturally I laughed my ass off.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
I set the insulation around the AC lines on fire on my car while heating the nuts that hold the H-pipe to the passenger side manifold. Being the genius I am I had 2 cups on the lift arm and naturally grabbed the one full of nuts and bolts and flung them into the air. I dont know why but they did a better job beating the shit out of my face rather than putting out the fire. The other cup had dr.pepper in it and that was successful in dousing the flames but also did a great job in coating the whole engine bay with a sticky brown mess.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
when changing the oil in my Terminator, I decided to use the ramps that my dad has. Give it a little gas and go up em, and right over the top.. THUMP down onto the body behind the tires.. I'm thinking CRAP, what did I destroy.. luckily nothing was hurt, just got out a jack, lifted the front of the car up and removed the ramps. I got my brother to guide me up onto them the next time I tried. (the jack was too high to get it under the car without it being driven up onto something)

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Was under the car doing a simple oil change and while removing the oil filter, the car horn suddenly went off. It scared the living crap outta me and I banged my head on the engine. To make matters worse, at that very moment the oil filter decided to drop off dumping oil all over my face. As I tried to push myself out from under the car, I bumped the oil drainage pan and splashed oil all over the driveway.

Turns out I had the key FOB in my pocket and when I moved my leg a certain way, the "Panic" button got pushed setting off the car horn. It was so loud, I was partially deaf in my left ear for about two hours.

Morale of the story: Take the key FOB out of your pocket when working on the car.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I was hooking up a 4 gauge power wire for my stereo in my 90GT, I had it hooked up to the battery and was getting ready to put the opposite end into the fuse holder when it slipped out of my hands. Somehow managed to land on the AC line and create about a 2 foot diameter of sparks in my engine bay, I had no choice but to reach in and grab it, afterwards I heard a hissing noise that was later to be revealed as my freon line leaking, the gold connector had melted a hole in the line.

DesertMach

Established Member
A long time ago I was having problems with my chevy van radiator cap leaking all the time. Well I thought I had it fixed when one day I got home and noticed the thing leaking again, so I popped the hook open and was looking all around the capt to see where it was leaking from( with my face about 6 inches from the cap itself).
Needless to say for some unknown stupid reason I decided to turn the cap. instant blisters on my face neck shoulders and chest, I have never stripped my cloths off that fast before in my life.... I'm not sure which hurt worse the burns or the anti-freeze in the burns.

Moral???? Dont be a DUMBA$$

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I emptied my oil sep one day and forgot to put the oil cap back on drove it back and forth to work a few times 60 miles round trip.....started the car one say and smelled oil...opened up the hood to see the oil cap right in the battery where i left it and oil all over everything...i think i got pretty lucky

Ben 98

Established Member
I was helping a friend put a susp. lift on his chevy truck, I was up under it since I had done one before. I was trying to break the bolts loose on the leaf spring U bolts. The bolt breaks loose and I hit my self in the face at the same instant that my friend sprays liquid wrench up under there. I had a self inflicted black-eye and liquid wrench in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread