Most Reliable Trucks between $5k and $15K

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

What about going for the slightly newer f150 2012 range with a 5.0 or 3.5 ecoboost? How are they as far as reliability and real world mpg?

How do the f150s compare to a ranger or dodge ram of similar year?

IIRC the early 3.5TT had issues with condensation.
Would go for a 5.0 for that far back IMO.

_Snake_

Established Member
I'm looking to get into a newer truck than my current one and wanted some of the best reliable options out there on other trucks between $5k and $15k.

Midsize or Fullsize (1500) is what I'm looking for, not 2500/3500 unless there is some great options there I should look at.

What are your opinions on which trucks fall into this price range? And also what are some of the things that are known issues with the trucks you recommend to check out and make sure are fixed?

I may be willing to look into something as high as 20k if the truck is a MUCH BETTER option than anything in the 5k-15k range.

Thanks a bunch

I’m likely selling a 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ 2wd in a couple of months that meets your needs.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I'm very partial to Chevy. I drive a Silverado now. It's a '03 but it runs and drives like new, with barely 109k miles on it. I bought this one about 5 years ago for $12k, with 65k miles on it. Mine has the 4.8L engine and it has plenty of power. I towed my Roush Mustang (on a trailer) about 150 miles and it was no sweat.

I looked at maybe a dozen trucks before I bought this one. Most trucks that I had looked at were worn-out POS's. The secret to buying a decent used truck (IMHO) is to get educated on the options and packages, then narrow down your focus into that group, then be prepared to drive around and look at a bunch of them, and be prepared to strike fast when you find that gem that has been well maintained and has your preferred options.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Are you talking about the Titan? I've heard early Titans had problems. My last Frontier was sitting at 185K miles when I sold it and never suffered from any major mechanical issues. A valve cover gasket and clutch slave cylinder were the only maintenance items I had to replace that weren't normal wear items.

Yes Titans mainly. The problem with them is they put the cat on the exhaust manifold and the cheap welds crack often @ $1500/pc (IIRC) The radiators are plastic that stress crack and leak about every 30k miles. The knock off Dana 44 rear isn't up to the task of a real half ton truck. The hubs work great on the Frontier but not so much on a 1/2 ton truck. My trans went out at 80k miles. I didn't stick around long enough to read if that is common or not because I drove it in 3rd gear to the nearest dealership and bought a new F-150.

My son's Xterra is a pos. Literally a $2000 job to change the valve cover gasket that's held on by 4 Phillips head bolts. It took me damn near two days to pull the manifold and the 20 different hard rubber coolant lines under it just to get to it. It's one of those jobs where "while you're there" you replace everything including the knock sensor. His A-arms rotted out to the point they collapsed at 100k miles.
I did have a 1996 Pathfinder with the same 3.3 that was stone dead reliable though.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Our son purchased a 2012 F-150 / 5.0L / towing package, with 36K back in '15. Back then he paid $25k. Today it has <90k and it's been flawless for him. He's towed Uhauls from Georgia to Texas to Wisconsin. Sweet ride.

Good luck!

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 7.14.27 PM.png

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I’d try to find a 5.3/6.0 truck. Find someone with hp tuner buy a credit for $100 and shut off the DOD. They are gravy to work on. Hell I’ve had the heads off and on in a day and I’m an average mechanic at best.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Yes Titans mainly. The problem with them is they put the cat on the exhaust manifold and the cheap welds crack often @ $1500/pc (IIRC) The radiators are plastic that stress crack and leak about every 30k miles. The knock off Dana 44 rear isn't up to the task of a real half ton truck. The hubs work great on the Frontier but not so much on a 1/2 ton truck. My trans went out at 80k miles. I didn't stick around long enough to read if that is common or not because I drove it in 3rd gear to the nearest dealership and bought a new F-150.

My son's Xterra is a pos. Literally a $2000 job to change the valve cover gasket that's held on by 4 Phillips head bolts. It took me damn near two days to pull the manifold and the 20 different hard rubber coolant lines under it just to get to it. It's one of those jobs where "while you're there" you replace everything including the knock sensor. His A-arms rotted out to the point they collapsed at 100k miles.
I did have a 1996 Pathfinder with the same 3.3 that was stone dead reliable though.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of what Japan has to offer in the way of full size trucks. I'd go with an American brand for that. I think Japan's smaller trucks are better than the American offerings, although I've yet to have a close look at the new Ranger. My Frontiers have been as solid as anything I've ever owned. The older SOHC V6 could have used a bit more power in the mountains, but my 4.0 DOHC Frontier pulled my Mustang over Donner Pass hauling it home from Lodi to Boise without any problems. I haven't had any issues with the suspension, but I did have some aftermarket suspension parts on both Frontiers.

nxhappy

Established Member
f150 with the 2V 4.6 or 5.4 BULLETPROOF. Also the older 5.7 hemi rams. IMO the best truck years are 1999-2004. In 2005 everything went to shit. Even the 99-04 silverados are bulletproof.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
The only real goals I have with the truck is First by a huge margin is reliability, next is easy to work on, and next would be fuel economy.

This is exactly why I like my Chevy trucks:

1) they seem to be as reliable as the others
2) they are certainly easy to work on, everyone can repair them
3) fuel economy seems comparable

blk02edge

Established Member
Yup, GM. The widest variety of interchangable easy to find parts and easy to work on.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
Agreed on the GMT800 votes. I’ve had 3 so far. I’ve got an 07 Sierra classic 4.8l for sale if you’re interested. No AFM, no TPMS sensors, no bull$hit you don’t need. Easy to work on. Great truck. Pm if interested...

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Recon

Established Member
I’d say early 2000’s Silverado with low miles. Getting close to 224k on my 5.3 Z71 and she’s doing good.

Pick your poison.

coposrv

Established Member
Sub 10k seems to get a rusted out 8 year old half ton in New England.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread