Motive Performance 8.8 Ring and Pinions

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Does anyone has any experience with the Motive Performance 8.8 Ring and Pinions Gears? Most people I know use the FMS Gears?

The reason I ask is because motive makes a 3.90 gear that looks interesting, I want to do the gear upgrade next... Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by raider187
Does anyone has any experience with the Motive Performance 8.8 Ring and Pinions Gears? Most people I know use the FMS Gears?

The reason I ask is because motive makes a 3.90 gear that looks interesting, I want to do the gear upgrade next... Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

I've only had FMS, keeps the warranty good.....but I would personally go with at least 4.10's for the DOHC.....

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
I have Motive gears, no problems to date. Only thing I don't like is they don't have a warranty.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Some of the Motive gears are actually "softer" than the FRPP gears. This is done to prevent breakage in high HP cars. NASCAR uses this type of gear. All in all they are not bad gears. But no matter who you purchase from, if you have a problem back there, and the dealer sees an "other than stock gear", you're going to have problems. The only way I've seen of getting around this is to have the Ford dealer install the FRPP gears. Granted some dealerships are more picky than others. They are wicked picky here.

Good luck and my vote would be the 3:73's for daily driving and 4:10's if it doesn't see that much highway ;-)

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
Some of the Motive gears are actually "softer" than the FRPP gears. This is done to prevent breakage in high HP cars. NASCAR uses this type of gear. All in all they are not bad gears. But no matter who you purchase from, if you have a problem back there, and the dealer sees an "other than stock gear", you're going to have problems. The only way I've seen of getting around this is to have the Ford dealer install the FRPP gears. Granted some dealerships are more picky than others. They are wicked picky here.

Good luck and my vote would be the 3:73's for daily driving and 4:10's if it doesn't see that much highway ;-)

I say even if it does see some decent amount of hwy to go w/ 4.10's....if you don't you'll wish you did (if you're not putting a power adder on it). I had 4.10's on my '99 snake and now if I get new ones on this one, they'll be 4.30's (yes I do quite a bit of hwy driving)

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
I don't drive my on the highway that much, but I would like to keep my options open. My dad (also a gearhead) is for the 3.73 and I like the 4.10

The car just rips with 4.10 's, but the milage suffers and they make noise at high speeds. Great info guys, Thanks. I'm going to ponder for a couple of days and pick a set up this weekend.

Thanks Again,

Rick

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I don't drive my on the highway that much, but I would like to keep my options open. My dad (also a gearhead) is for the 3.73 and I like the 4.10

The car just rips with 4.10 's, but the milage suffers and they make noise at high speeds. Great info guys, Thanks. I'm going to ponder for a couple of days and pick a set up this weekend.

Thanks Again,

Rick

i didn't have a noise problem at speed...

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
really... hmmm... That's good news, I heard they make noise. Thanks! I didn't notice anything in my friend car either, but we did not drive very fast. I thinking 4.10 for sure now...

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
really... hmmm... That's good news, I heard they make noise. Thanks! I didn't notice anything in my friend car either, but we did not drive very fast. I thinking 4.10 for sure now...

And i'll have my 4.30's

RayC76

Established Member
Well i have motives in my camaro and they work great, no problems. The richmond gears have alot of problems on the camaro side of the house so i wouldnt use them.

Ray

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by RayC76
Well i have motives in my camaro and they work great, no problems. The richmond gears have alot of problems on the camaro side of the house so i wouldnt use them.

Ray

I've seen alot of people that used the Richmonds in the GM cars break them. Mikie2001GT broke a 3:73 in his pretty stock (CAI, TB bypass, pullies) 95 TA. They were installed by a reputable garage also. That made my mind up to never use them in anything of mine.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Yeah, that was my reason for posting... I'm going with the 4.10 FMS/FRRP Gears... I think the best route is to stick with the Ford Gears, less chance of problems.

Thanks for the input, I going to buy the 4.10's this weekend.

Thanks again everyone. :beer:

-->Rick

Users who are viewing this thread