Motoblue Hard Launch Kit for IRS SVT Cobra??

Jpjr

Established Member
I cannot compensate for a good detailed search on this topic (thousands of posts on your questions), but here is a summary.

1. General consensus of this board is to not buy anything Motoblue. Without being too critical most people have said they end up re-purchasing anything they get from RPM Outlet.

2. Nitto DR's will help wheel hop a ton. Very popular choice on this board mostly because they are priced so nice. BFG DR's are probably better, but may only last the trip home from the tire shop. :)

TheBigHrn

Established Member
Yea, ive read a bunch of stuff on wheelhop, and Im too poor to go crazy with all that stuff....Just something I saw and priced pretty cheap that I'd ask about...
Thanks Again,
John

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
TheBigHrn said:
Yea, ive read a bunch of stuff on wheelhop, and Im too poor to go crazy with all that stuff....Just something I saw and priced pretty cheap that I'd ask about...
Thanks Again,
John

"The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money", copyright postban forever!

I just finished a low cost wheelhop writeup, last post in my sig link, significant reduction in wheelhop as long as you can turn a wrench.

Take a read, buy what you can afford.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
postban said:
I just finished a low cost wheelhop writeup, last post in my sig link, significant reduction in wheelhop as long as you can turn a wrench.

Low cost? By the time you get to step 10 your into it for $3000.00 if you do the work yourself. But it is a good list!

:beer:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Mr. Mysti said:
Low cost? By the time you get to step 10 your into it for $3000.00 if you do the work yourself. But it is a good list!

:shrug: :read:

postban said:

Many people ask me what is the least I can do money/effort-wise to get rid of wheelhop. This really depends on how much power you are making, the type of car (vert or coupe). I have seen many posts of people stating one simple tire switch did it for them. I don't doubt their word but I can tell you tires did not fix the wheelhop in my vert. Neither did tires combined with subframes. Same story for tires, subframes and IRS bushings. There was some effect but no "FIX". From that point I went nuts with a built live axle mod instead of working with the IRS anymore. I do regret that because it so changed the ride and handling of the car. Hop was gone but at a huge price.

I believe that if I would have done a few more mods it would have been enough to get rid of the majority of wheelhop. that car was 480rwhp. It would have needed everything in the first post but the level 5's to totally cure hop. Same goes for the rest of you high HP guys looking for a cheap remedy for hop. Unless you wanna go with live axle and lose that great ride, just suck it up and save your money for the proper recipe.

My suggestion for the LEAST you can do to elimnate hop for "stock" Cobras at the <410 rwhp level is the following. All suggestions are for coupe setup. The vert springs are softer rate which deflect more that similar coupe parts. Sorry vert guys, price you pay for that top down fun, those 470lb springs are not much better riding than the 600's found in a coupe, they sure hop worse though. Obtain coupe springs, lowering springs or Cobra R 650lb springs first.

STOCK COBRA WHEELHOP REDUCING RECIPE

1)Rear Subframe Mount Brackets w/backing plates $50 (est)
2)MM IRS Bushings $50 with 14mm bolts/nuts $15
3)MMFLSFC's installed $250-300 installed
4)Strange ADJ Shocks $59ea from HBH Billetflow mount bushings $50

The above $535-585 (not including tires)is the least you can spend and actually hope to see a reduction in wheelhop at near stock power levels. The effects will vary somewhat but will get the car and irs brackets reinforced to the point where deflection in the UCA/LCA/Diff bushings are the remaining cause of hop. Once you put a pulley on the car you will need to do a full set Nicks bushings.
5)Nicks Bushings $350

Also every one of these IRS cars needs a brace for the ultra thin rear diff cover, just common sense. Eliminate the flex, eliminate the leaks and breakage. I had mine on my new IRS coupe when it was bone stock. It does not do anything for preventing wheelhop but it wil help you survive wheelhop without breking a cover or cracking the pumpkin.
6)Billetflow Diff Cover Brace $165

Once you are over 450 the mods in the first post in my are suggested.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
postban said:
:shrug: :read:

Hey postban, no offense. You are one of the good guys on this forum... Anyone that has spent any amount of time on here knows that. Just giving you a little S#!t. :poke:

Vince

Users who are viewing this thread