Motor build in progress! Some advice/input por favor

yamahaSHO

Established Member
The process has been rather slow for me, but it's coming together. So far, I've had the block bored, honed, stripped and hot tanked, new freeze plugs installed, and checked over for use... I also had the rods flash ground, polished, shot peened, resized, and new bushings pressed and reamed.

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5676.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

Once I get my crankshaft (I have a line on a 21k mile crank), I'll take the rotating assembly in to be balanced. I've already ordered all the bearings (except for the thrust bearing), seals, and gaskets I need, now I just need to have the heads rebuilt and I'll be able to put it back together. I am going back to a stock flywheel as I think my 9lbs aluminum flywheel may be worked a little hard with the 3,500 lbs of pressure my clutch pressure plate applies.

As some of you may know, I'm going to run some Wiseco 3.6255" (3.2L) forged pistons at 9.5:1 compression and will most likely up the boost.
225912_531_full.jpg

I had the cylinder bored .0035" extra (Wiseco recommneded .003") for a little more extra piston expansion for the hell I'll put the motor through. The Wiseco supplied "XX" rings seem to actually already be in spec.... Depending on what calculation you use.

The sheet supplied gave me:

bore inches in diameter x .004" = desired end gap

Many other sources say (Wiseco rep agreed on this):

bore inches in diameter x .005" (for boost) = desired ring end gap

Stock specs call for:

Ring end gap .012" - .018"

As an example, my current ring gap for the top compression ring is .018". That is within stock spec, but on the higher end, however, if I use the second equation above, it is exactly what is desired (3.6255" x .005" = .018").

I've already proven that stock, tighter, tolerances can handle hard SC abuse without having them expand so much that they butt together and cause excessive blow-by and rapid cylinder wear, so I was originally wanting to build a near-to-spec stock motor.

Another idea I had was to buy some Total Seal gapless rings, but I've heard both good and bad about them. I really don't feel like tearing into this motor again anytime soon, so I'll continue my research.

I've got some time to decide, so we'll see what happens. Any idea? Advice? Experience?

Anyway, this what I'm working on now, so I thought I'd share what I've been up to. :pepper:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread